I recently purchased a set of used demo ski's (16' Blizzard Bonafides with Marker Griffon 13 demo bindings). I was starting to adjust the binding position/spacing to fit my boots last night and noticed something that seemed odd to me. I'm looking for a little confirmation that I'm not missing something obvious and also maybe some advice on where to start with boot/binding position.
My boots have a 325mm BSL so I adjusted the front toe piece to the 325 mark (can someone please confirm that I am in fact interpreting those marks correctly - I assumed the angled mark on the demo track should line up with the angled plastic near the anti-friction device plate).
Ok so I adjust the rear binding position to its 325 mark as a starting point and see the boot is nowhere close to being able to click into the binding (the spacing is too close together to allow the boot to operate the heel piece). I go ahead and keep backing the heel piece position toward the rear of the ski until I can click the boot in and start the forward pressure adjustment. I adjust the heel position (without the boot clicked in mind you) until the forward pressure is set - indicated by the position adjustment screw being pulled flush when the boot is clicked in.
By the time I got finished adjusting, the heal piece seemed like it was almost maxing out the adjustment range on the rear demo track. The heel piece is sitting in the range of the 360 mark on the demo track.
This doesn't seem quite right and I am looking for a way I can confirm that the bindings were properly mounted (position wise). Mostly because I'd like to know whether I can trust the markings on the demo tracks as a standard starting point for adjustment (if I lend out the skis to a friend). I noted the placement of the rear demo track seems like it may be farther forward when I compared it to pictures of other Bonafides with Demo Griffons. The forward demo track may also be mounted too far rearward.
My skis: Note the front demo track barely covers up a white line of text on the ski and the points of the rear track sit at the -2.5 hash mark on the ski.
Example of pictures found online of the same gear and same model year (saw this spacing on numerous sets of skis): Note the front track is about 5 to 10mm from the text and the rear track is around the -3 mark instead of the -2.5 mark.
So after all of this I click my boot in and note that the centerline mark on my boot sits about a 1 cm towards the rear when compared with the center "0" mark on the ski. Should this be expected? I had expected that if I adjust the demo track to my BSL (325mm), that would place the center of my boot in line with the suggested mounting mark on the ski (the"0" hash). The fact that my boot center is shifted rearward by about a 1 cm and that the front demo track looks like it could potentially be mounted 1 cm rearward seems like too much of a coincidence to me.
So hear are my questions:
1. How can I confirm the the demo tracks are installed in the correct or incorrect location? ("correct" being defined as intended by Marker so the BSL markings can be used)
2. Should I plan on adjusting the binding position using the boot center mark instead? Basically just don't pay any attention to the markings on the demo track and only use the boot mark compared to the ski marks.
3. What is a good starting point for boot position? Line the boot center mark up with the mark on the ski? I've never tinkered with adjusting fore/aft boot position before but probably will with this pair since it is so easy. I ride mostly in the Rockies (have to fly there and get only a few days each season now). I stick to resorts only, but am usually off-trail with some groomers mixed in here and there. I like bumps (though this isn't a great bump ski or anything) and find that I enjoy a little bit shorter and more frequent carving arc than some other good skiers I know. This is to be my one quiver do-it-all ski but if I need to make trade offs I'm going to lean towards a setup favoring maneuverability for tight trees with enough stability for cutting through crud. I ski quickly but am not a racer.
4. Does anyone else happen to have this same equipment setup? (2016 Blizzard Bonafides with Griffon 13 demo bindings - happen to be 180cm length but I don't think it matters for binding mounting from what I have seen). If you have the same setup could you take a look at your demo track mounting position and see if it is like mine (with the blue arrows) or like the pic I found online (with the yellow arrows)?
5. Any tips for adjusting boot position this season? Either how to start or minimum time to ski on a given setting before changing?
Thanks for reading this novel. Any help is greatly appreciated.