or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Easiest Mountain in Utah?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

We are beginning to plan a ski trip to Utah.  I am a very, very wimpy skier.  We went to Steamboat two years ago and I enjoyed all of the green runs.  I'm looking for the resort that has some long, fun, easy runs for me.  Any advice would be appreciated!

post #2 of 22

Deer Valley if you can afford it. Powder Mt if you're budget minded.

post #3 of 22

I found Powder mountain is hard to navigate your way around and I don't generally have a problem with that. Sign posting is quirky and the existence of a lift you ski from  but not back to fooled me.

 

I would rate Canyons PC and Deer valley over PM.All three have wide confidence building easy runs with good grooming. The grooming at PM is not so obvious.

 

I really like Canyons often skiing there when I know Alta is going to buried in fresh snow and half the valley is on the mountain making tracks. 

post #4 of 22

Park City Mountain Resort is by far the easiest, and most boring mountain in UT.

Although, there is a lot of easy terrain at every venue.

post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyons View Post
 

Park City Mountain Resort is by far the easiest, and most boring mountain in UT.

Although, there is a lot of easy terrain at every venue.

 

Apparently you haven't been to PowMow.

 

Insipid, virtually flat runs augmented by old slow lifts. If you think PCMR is the easiest, then you certainly haven't been to PowMow.

Park Shitty is like Jackson Hole compared to PowMow.


Edited by snofun3 - 5/26/16 at 4:59pm
post #6 of 22

Wow, you're right. The only thing that I ever skied at PowMow is the $15 cat rides. That was fun.

post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarajenjax View Post
 

We are beginning to plan a ski trip to Utah.  I am a very, very wimpy skier.  We went to Steamboat two years ago and I enjoyed all of the green runs.  I'm looking for the resort that has some long, fun, easy runs for me.  Any advice would be appreciated!


Welcome to EpicSki!  When you went to Steamboat, was that trip with others?  Did you take any lessons?  Where did you learn to ski?

 

For Utah, do you have specific dates in mind?  That may make a difference in terms of the snow conditions on green and easy blue runs.  As others have said, Deer Valley is a good place for beginners for a variety of reasons.  But not so good for people on a limited budget.  Some families with kids who are starting to ski enjoy staying at Solitude.  But I don't really know how the green runs compare to the greens at Steamboat.  One family went to Brian Head for couple years while the kids were learning and had a good time for a relatively low budget.

post #8 of 22

The fact is that Park City and the Canyons are now one, and there's enough easy terrain that you should be able to find a week of greens that'll satisfy you for a number of days.

 

Avoid Brighton as it's boardertown, Solitude is OK, but a real crappy lift layout, Snowbird and Alta are (sadly) to be avoided as they'll eat you up (but they're GREAT), Snowbasin would be OK for a day with a nice hill layout and great lift system, and Powmow is to be avoided unless boredom is your cup-of-tea.

post #9 of 22

Beaver Mountain is pretty tame.  It's up by Logan.  The run Gentle Ben beckons.....

post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post
 

The fact is that Park City and the Canyons are now one, and there's enough easy terrain that you should be able to find a week of greens that'll satisfy you for a number of days.

 

Avoid Brighton as it's boardertown, Solitude is OK, but a real crappy lift layout, Snowbird and Alta are (sadly) to be avoided as they'll eat you up (but they're GREAT), Snowbasin would be OK for a day with a nice hill layout and great lift system, and Powmow is to be avoided unless boredom is your cup-of-tea.

I concur for the most part with snofun3's post.  You can take the Red Pine Gondola out of the Canyons Village base at Park City and access a lot of nice, easy terrain up there, then download on the gondi at end of day.  Those runs in that part of the layout off Tombstone chair that wind through the big homes with tunnels and such are particularly long and easy.  With a little study of the trail map a low intermediate can have a lot of fun exploring the huge combined layout via the interconnect gondola and then there is the town of Park City for a week of fine resortzy stuff and apres-ski.

post #11 of 22

no beginner should rule out Brighton simply because its got a heavy population of snowboarders! . It's known as “The Place Where Utah Learns to Ski and Ride.” for a reason . serious flats across the center of the resort off of Majestic and Snake creek lifts  - well worth checking out for a day if travel is not an issue , but i agree with PC/Canyons being the best choice.

 

surprised at the bashing of POWMOW. we found alot of great terrain off the ridge line under Paradise - although Lightning Ridge cat skiing is what made our day - terrain is not in the same ballpark as LCC but still quite fun when you catch a POW day and explore enough to find the good lines   its where i took my brother and nephew ( mid-westerners) this year to get them warmed up for Alta and Snowbird. looking forward to going back there next year on my Warren Miller vouchers

post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post

Apparently you haven't been to PowMow.

Insipid, virtually flat runs augmented by old slow lifts. If you think PCMR is the easiest, then you certainly haven't been to PowMow.
Park Shitty is like Jackson Hole compared to PowMow.

So PowMow would be perfect for a self proclaimed "very, very wimpy skier".

Wide, flat, empty runs, served by non intimidating slow lifts. Perfect.
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGolfAnalogy View Post


So PowMow would be perfect for a self proclaimed "very, very wimpy skier".

Wide, flat, empty runs, served by non intimidating slow lifts. Perfect.

 

If his goal is to not improve, and not test his skills in any manner, shape or form, then probably so.

post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGolfAnalogy View Post


So PowMow would be perfect for a self proclaimed "very, very wimpy skier".

Wide, flat, empty runs, served by non intimidating slow lifts. Perfect.

 

If his goal is to not improve, and not test his skills in any manner, shape or form, then probably so.


For folks who only ski during a vacation week every few years, the goal is to have fun . . . which is quite possible only skiing long green runs and perhaps easy blues on a good day.  I spent a couple decades not worrying about improving when I was skiing blue groomers for 4-5 days every 2-3 years.  Did I have fun?  Yes!

 

Even so, not sure I would recommend PowMow over Park City for someone who enjoyed Steamboat.  But haven't skied either enough to have a strong opinion.  What I know is that my friends who are beginners and stay at Alta Lodge with family and friends have a very good time.  But they are at Alta because the others are intermediate/advanced skiers.

post #15 of 22
Wide, flat, uncrowded runs are actually the perfect place to improve as anyone who knows the first thing about skiing can attest.
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post
 

 

If his goal is to not improve, and not test his skills in any manner, shape or form, then probably so.

 

There is more to PowMow than just the long easy groomers. The resort may lack the extreme steeps of Snowbird, but does have a good variety of terrain, up to and including some pretty cool cat served, which allow for gradual improvement and challenge. It is also one of the few resorts which have some true beginner glades. The gentle slopes off Cobabe Canyon with their widely spaced birches are perfect for folks just learning how to venture of the groomers and into the trees. Perhaps the true experts may find PowMow a little tame, but there is plenty to keep most folks entertained.

post #17 of 22

Another vote for Park City/Canyons. Lots of terrain of any level including green and easy blue. Good grooming so if you miss the new snow it will still be very skiable. A good resort town with lots of eating choices for a wide budget range. There is a good public transportation system if you need it. All of this is just minutes from the airport.

 

You will not be bored or disappointed. 

post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post
 

The fact is that Park City and the Canyons are now one, and there's enough easy terrain that you should be able to find a week of greens that'll satisfy you for a number of days.

 

Avoid Brighton as it's boardertown, Solitude is OK, but a real crappy lift layout, Snowbird and Alta are (sadly) to be avoided as they'll eat you up (but they're GREAT), Snowbasin would be OK for a day with a nice hill layout and great lift system, and Powmow is to be avoided unless boredom is your cup-of-tea.

 

I liked PowMow and there is definitely some difficult lines there. It's not the in your face terrain of Alta and Snowbird where there is crazy lines every where you look but certainly more then enough to get into trouble. Besides the whole mountain is pretty cool. Where else do you get to park at the top of the mountain or ski down to the highway to wait for a bus. There are some respectably steep lines on the way down to the highway don't require much looking for.  

post #19 of 22

Sorry, but I think that Alta has some of the best green terrain off the lift at the far (upper) end of the resort that I've ever skied. It's literally SO fun, no matter what your skill level.....I just love that lift!

 

So, my vote would be Alta, at least for a day, and if only for that one lift. I think it's free after a certain time of day?

post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Peters View Post
 

Sorry, but I think that Alta has some of the best green terrain off the lift at the far (upper) end of the resort that I've ever skied. It's literally SO fun, no matter what your skill level.....I just love that lift!

 

So, my vote would be Alta, at least for a day, and if only for that one lift. I think it's free after a certain time of day?


All my friends who started as beginners at Alta like the Sunnyside and Cecret lifts.  Those who are cautious intermediates like to warm up there.  Sunnyside isn't free in the late afternoon any more, but it's under $20.  Locals take their little kids just getting started on skis for an hour or so on Sunnyside after school.

post #21 of 22

Whatever you do, do NOT go to Snowbird if you want wimpy trails.

post #22 of 22
Most ski areas in Ut have a good beginner area. I think the best is deer valley in terms of prevelant green runs.

I would recommend against snowbird and snowbasin. Neither is great in terms of beginner terrain.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion