Hello, I just returned from living at Alta Utah and I am wondering how Alpine Meadows is skiing versus Squaw? I am trying to figure out where to ski. I have never been to AM so I am just curious how it is now.
Related Forum Threads
- Squaw/Mammoth Late Spring and Early Summer Conditions Last post on Yesterday at 11:02 am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- How much of Blackcomb is likely to be open last week in April/1st week in May? Last post on 4/8/17 at 5:50pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Alta and/or Snowbird April 2017, will you be there? Last post on 4/10/17 at 5:31am in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- Spring Trip to Vermont [driving from DC, looking for greens and blue/black groomers] Last post on 4/8/17 at 7:06am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Tahoe or Colorado for April 11-15?? Last post on 3/23/17 at 9:30am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Spring Snow Base PreparationLast edited: 4/24/11
Great fitting liner and good performance. Lace up tongue give solid all around fit and with the power strap keep shin in contact with the tongue. The spot kit would help with tweaking those spots...
Great day use area for the Springfield /Eugene crowd. At 6000ft elevation it is above most of the Oregon rain. With 1500 feet of drop off a high speed six pack it is a real ski area. No Lodging No...
Why ski here? -Blue Mountain is probably the best value in Eastern Pennsylvania. It has two high-speed, top-to-bottom lifts. That means you can get a ton of skiing in. At nearby mountains like Elk...
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
- Spring Snow Base Preparation
Alpine Meadows or Squaw ?
Might try asking in the ongoing 2015-16 thread for Tahoe. All regional threads are listed at the top of Resorts, Conditions and Travel.
What were you doing at Alta? I meet up with friends at Alta Lodge during late season.
Long answer:It all depends on what opens when with the storm we're getting now. And if you ski the new snow be careful, especially on south and west facing aspects. There are a lot of rocks exposed that will be lurking under the new stuff, especially if you haven't been skiing the areas lately to know where they are. I would definitely stay off of south face of Sherwood for example.
It looks like some precipitation for the next week--I'd keep an eye on wind speeds, lift openings, and snow levels. Alpine has the higher base, but if it's not too windy to open the upper mountain you can stay high and avoid the slop down lower. Once things return to spring skiing, Alpine is usually the better bet for corn, with exposures on all 4 aspects and a lot of hike-to bowls that will be smooth corn--at least as long as the runouts haven't melted out. While there has been a lot of snow up high this winter, the snow levels have been high for the most part meaning the lower elevations are very thin.
Short answer: it's a day to day call.
- Alpine Meadows or Squaw ?
- › RIP EpicSki 1999-2017 2 seconds ago
- › Wachusett Conditions and get togethers 3 minutes ago
- › (__)__)XXXXXXXXXD~~~~~~~~~~ 9 minutes ago
- › How much pu$$y have you crushed in a gondola? 9 minutes ago
- › No pole short and long turns what say you Instructors and Coaches? 10 minutes ago
- › More Retro memories???? 25 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 37 minutes ago
- › To all of my friends 55 minutes ago
- › Monster 83 last minute confirmation on length 56 minutes ago
- › Movie Quotes turned to ski quotes... 1 hour, 21 minutes ago
- › 2018 K2 Marksman Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review