Hello, I just returned from living at Alta Utah and I am wondering how Alpine Meadows is skiing versus Squaw? I am trying to figure out where to ski. I have never been to AM so I am just curious how it is now.
Related Forum Threads
- MAX Pass in CO in April? [- A Family Skiing thread] Last post on 9/29/16 at 10:15am in Family Skiing Discussions
- Skiing Mt Church in the Lost River Range Last post on 7/4/16 at 1:16am in Trip Reports
- Killington, VT - Reflections - Last post on 6/8/16 at 3:37pm in Trip Reports
- Squaw/Alpine looking to welcome Chinese tourists who ski Last post on 6/7/16 at 12:43pm in Skiing News
- North American skiing after Memorial Day? Last post on 6/6/16 at 10:41am in General Skiing Discussion
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Spring Snow Base PreparationLast edited: 4/24/11
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
- Spring Snow Base Preparation
Alpine Meadows or Squaw ?
Might try asking in the ongoing 2015-16 thread for Tahoe. All regional threads are listed at the top of Resorts, Conditions and Travel.
What were you doing at Alta? I meet up with friends at Alta Lodge during late season.
Long answer:It all depends on what opens when with the storm we're getting now. And if you ski the new snow be careful, especially on south and west facing aspects. There are a lot of rocks exposed that will be lurking under the new stuff, especially if you haven't been skiing the areas lately to know where they are. I would definitely stay off of south face of Sherwood for example.
It looks like some precipitation for the next week--I'd keep an eye on wind speeds, lift openings, and snow levels. Alpine has the higher base, but if it's not too windy to open the upper mountain you can stay high and avoid the slop down lower. Once things return to spring skiing, Alpine is usually the better bet for corn, with exposures on all 4 aspects and a lot of hike-to bowls that will be smooth corn--at least as long as the runouts haven't melted out. While there has been a lot of snow up high this winter, the snow levels have been high for the most part meaning the lower elevations are very thin.
Short answer: it's a day to day call.
- Alpine Meadows or Squaw ?
- › JH vs Keystone 12 seconds ago
- › Kids Group vs Semi-Private Lesson 4 minutes ago
- › Boutique Vs Big Brands: Which do you prefer? 5 minutes ago
- › Basic entry level poles? 7 minutes ago
- › Bode News 7 minutes ago
- › NYC Gathering in the city, before the snow starts [Nov. 3] 10 minutes ago
- › Best ski location on the east coast??? 10 minutes ago
- › Two new lifts at Powder Mountain? 15 minutes ago
- › FS: Hestra Heli Gloves, Black, Size 8 - Brand New $95 shipped to... 20 minutes ago
- › "The only people who want to carve any more..." 27 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer