Hello, I just returned from living at Alta Utah and I am wondering how Alpine Meadows is skiing versus Squaw? I am trying to figure out where to ski. I have never been to AM so I am just curious how it is now.
Related Forum Threads
- MAX Pass in CO in April? [- A Family Skiing thread] Last post on 9/29/16 at 10:15am in Family Skiing Discussions
- 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke Last post on Yesterday at 8:36 pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Skiing Mt Church in the Lost River Range Last post on 7/4/16 at 1:16am in Trip Reports
- Killington, VT - Reflections - Last post on 6/8/16 at 3:37pm in Trip Reports
- Squaw/Alpine looking to welcome Chinese tourists who ski Last post on 6/7/16 at 12:43pm in Skiing News
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Spring Snow Base PreparationLast edited: 4/24/11
Flumserberg is a nice day trip ski resort about an hour train ride from Zurich (or drive). I skied here as a midweek season pass holder for a couple of seasons. Midweek it has small lift lines,...
For any east coast skiers this is like Mad River Glen with wider slopes and big drops to jump off of along with skiing between the trees. Just an all out amazing ski area. Simple and great...
I really love this place, it doesn't have the crowds that the other places around Ottawa have, but this is a legit ski place and is one of those hidden gems that hardcore ski guys/gals love. They...
Good for high volumn, pronated feet, i.e: This is the anti-matter Lange XLR/Banshe/Comp but still very good for people with wider, flatter, lower arched feet who needed or wanted a stiffer boot....
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
- Spring Snow Base Preparation
Alpine Meadows or Squaw ?
Might try asking in the ongoing 2015-16 thread for Tahoe. All regional threads are listed at the top of Resorts, Conditions and Travel.
What were you doing at Alta? I meet up with friends at Alta Lodge during late season.
Long answer:It all depends on what opens when with the storm we're getting now. And if you ski the new snow be careful, especially on south and west facing aspects. There are a lot of rocks exposed that will be lurking under the new stuff, especially if you haven't been skiing the areas lately to know where they are. I would definitely stay off of south face of Sherwood for example.
It looks like some precipitation for the next week--I'd keep an eye on wind speeds, lift openings, and snow levels. Alpine has the higher base, but if it's not too windy to open the upper mountain you can stay high and avoid the slop down lower. Once things return to spring skiing, Alpine is usually the better bet for corn, with exposures on all 4 aspects and a lot of hike-to bowls that will be smooth corn--at least as long as the runouts haven't melted out. While there has been a lot of snow up high this winter, the snow levels have been high for the most part meaning the lower elevations are very thin.
Short answer: it's a day to day call.
- Alpine Meadows or Squaw ?
- › Fischer Worldcup RC vs Dynastar Speed Course 67 10 minutes ago
- › Car Camping - Drying Gear (without power outlets) 13 minutes ago
- › Colorado Dec 16-23.. Time to change plans ?? 37 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 1 hour ago
- › K2 Omni 5.5 - Should I switch, and to what? 1 hour, 16 minutes ago
- › Jackets that fit over the helmet? Multisport too? (Vermont) 1 hour, 28 minutes ago
- › Best Ski Brand? 1 hour, 41 minutes ago
- › if you were to have just one pair of skis...which ones and why? 1 hour, 48 minutes ago
- › 2016: 1, 2, or 3 ski quiver? 2 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › The Barriers To Good Skiing 2 hours, 32 minutes ago
- › Flumserberg by willyofoz
- › Kirkwood Mountain Resort by Debbie Burke
- › Mont Sainte Marie by Charles J White
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by aarrkk
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › 2017 K2 iKonic 85 Ti Review
- › The Ins and Outs of Proper Layering
- › 2017 Smith ChromaPop - It's Basically...
- › EpicSki Interview with Jess McMillan
- › Epic Ski Image of the Month Contest Terms and...
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues