or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Skiing News › The MAX Pass 2016-17 for 39 areas: Killington, Tremblant, Big Sky, Steamboat, Solitude, Brighton, Alyeska, Crested Butte and more
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The MAX Pass 2016-17 for 39 areas: Killington, Tremblant, Big Sky, Steamboat, Solitude, Brighton, Alyeska, Crested Butte and more - Page 2

post #31 of 53

Stevens Pass has been added to the pass. The three main Seattle-area resorts are now on the pass.

post #32 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
 

Stevens Pass has been added to the pass. The three main Seattle-area resorts are now on the pass.


Thanks for the update.  So now the total is 39 for MAX Pass in 2016-17.

 

ALASKA: *Alyeska
 
WEST
Washington: Crystal Mountain, The Summit at Snoqualmie, *Stevens Pass
Oregon: Mt. Bachelor
California: Boreal, *Mountain High
Nevada: Lee Canyon 

ROCKY MOUNTAINS
Montana: Big Sky
Utah: Brighton, *Solitude
Colorado: Copper, Steamboat, Winter Park, *Crested Butte, *Eldora

MIDWEST
Michigan: Boyne Highlands, Boyne Mountain 
Minnesota: *Buck Hill

EAST
Maine: Sunday River, Sugarloaf
Vermont: Killington, Pico Mountain, Stratton, *Okemo
New Hampshire: Loon Mountain, *Mount Sunapee
Massachusetts: *Wachusett
New Jersey: *Mountain Creek
West Virginia: Snowshoe

CANADA
British Columbia: Cypress Mountain, *Fernie, *Kicking Horse, *Kimberley, *Nakiska

Ontario: Blue Mountain
Quebec: Mont Tremblant, *Mont Saint Anne, *Stoneham
 
* added for 2016-17
post #33 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
 

Stevens Pass has been added to the pass. The three main Seattle-area resorts are now on the pass.


This is interesting. This now makes it the third resort that is on both the Powder Alliance and the Max Pass (along with Mt. High and Crested Butte.)

post #34 of 53
Thread Starter 

Occurs to me that Winter Park and Copper are in the MAX Pass and RMSP.

post #35 of 53
^^^ And Steamboat but there are qualifying passes
post #36 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

Occurs to me that Winter Park and Copper are in the MAX Pass and RMSP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78 View Post

^^^ And Steamboat but there are qualifying passes

Thanks!  It's getting hard enough to keep up with which places are in one multi-resort pass.  I have an impression that the number of ski areas that have more than one way for a "pass holder" to get at least a few days without paying more has been increasing in recent years.  Meaning someone who either buys a full season pass at one ski area or buys a multi-resort pass like the MAX Pass or RMSP.

post #37 of 53
Thread Starter 

I vaguely remember that when the MAX Pass started, only the most expensive season passes were eligible for the Add-on price.  Decided to look at a few of the new northeast ski areas.  For Mount Sunapee, looks like all the season passes qualify.  For Wachusett, in addition to the Gold Pass ($669), can also get a Weekender Pass ($489) and get the MAX Pass Add-on ($249 early, $299 after 10/12/16).  Same idea applies to some of the other MAX Pass locations, mostly the smaller places.  Certainly provides incentive to get a season pass for someone not sure it would be worth it but is interested in at least one trip to one of the bigger ski resorts.  For someone in the northeast, doesn't even require flying.  A couple trips to Tremblant, Killington, Stratton, Sugarloaf, or Sunday River for 5 days of skiing each at $249/299 is not a bad deal.  Or perhaps a few 2-3 day trips to explore new ski areas.

 

From MAX Pass FAQ:

  • Mount Sunapee, Okemo, Crested Butte Ultra Pass
  • Mount Sunapee, Okemo Peak Pass
  • Mount Sunapee, Okemo Value Pass
  • Mount Sunapee, Okemo Millennial Pass
  • Mount Sunapee, Okemo Midweek Pass
  • Mount Sunapee, Okemo 4.0 College Pass
post #38 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

I vaguely remember that when the MAX Pass started, only the most expensive season passes were eligible for the Add-on price.  Decided to look at a few of the new northeast ski areas.  For Mount Sunapee, looks like all the season passes qualify.  For Wachusett, in addition to the Gold Pass ($669), can also get a Weekender Pass ($489) and get the MAX Pass Add-on ($249 early, $299 after 10/12/16)....

 

From MAX Pass FAQ:

  • Mount Sunapee, Okemo Midweek Pass

 

The MAX Pass FAQ includes this:

 

For M.A.X. Pass Add-on Passes - If your qualifying season pass has blackout dates and you purchase a M.A.X. Pass Add-on, the Add-on is not valid at your home mountain(s) and thus cannot be used on blackout dates. For example, the New England Silver Pass has blackout dates on select weekends and holidays. The M.A.X. Pass Add-on does not provide additional days at Sunday River, Sugarloaf, and Loon, and so cannot be used on the blackout days.

 

So it's not 100% clear, but my read is that a Wachusett "Weekender" MAX Pass upgrade could only be used on weekends/holidays everywhere, and that the Midweek passes can't be used anywhere on weekends. So these bargain passes kind of limit options still. Also note the add-on is currently $349.

post #39 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Utah View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

I vaguely remember that when the MAX Pass started, only the most expensive season passes were eligible for the Add-on price.  Decided to look at a few of the new northeast ski areas.  For Mount Sunapee, looks like all the season passes qualify.  For Wachusett, in addition to the Gold Pass ($669), can also get a Weekender Pass ($489) and get the MAX Pass Add-on ($249 early, $299 after 10/12/16)....

 

From MAX Pass FAQ:

  • Mount Sunapee, Okemo Midweek Pass

 

The MAX Pass FAQ includes this:

 

For M.A.X. Pass Add-on Passes - If your qualifying season pass has blackout dates and you purchase a M.A.X. Pass Add-on, the Add-on is not valid at your home mountain(s) and thus cannot be used on blackout dates. For example, the New England Silver Pass has blackout dates on select weekends and holidays. The M.A.X. Pass Add-on does not provide additional days at Sunday River, Sugarloaf, and Loon, and so cannot be used on the blackout days.

 

So it's not 100% clear, but my read is that a Wachusett "Weekender" MAX Pass upgrade could only be used on weekends/holidays everywhere, and that the Midweek passes can't be used anywhere on weekends. So these bargain passes kind of limit options still. Also note the add-on is currently $349.


Sheesh, definitely pays to read all the fine print.  Since I don't live in the northeast, didn't pay attention to details for the Add-on before.  Mostly paying attention this fall because I'm seriously considering the MAX Pass for next season to cover a return trip to Big Sky.  In that case, I would buy in the spring for the lowest price.

 

Even if can only go on weekends for Weekender or mid-week for Midweek, might still be worth considering the Add-on for someone who is interested in exploring a few new places.  Someone who buys the Weekender presumably can't ski during the week any way.

post #40 of 53

The MAX PASS add on can't be used at your home mountain. It can be used anytime at other participating resorts. If your home pass covers several resorts you can't use the add on at any of those resorts. For instance I have a Killington/Pico midweek only pass. I can't use the add on at Killington/Pico anytime. I can however use the add on anytime at other participating resorts including weekends & holidays.

post #41 of 53

Sometime we had to call them to get a clarification on some conflicting issues with exchange days between the home area base pass and the max pass add on.

We had a RMSP+ with a max pass add on last season. The RMSP+ gives us 6 exchange days at Steamboat. That nullified the 5 SB days listed on the max pass add on.      

post #42 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
 

The MAX PASS add on can't be used at your home mountain. It can be used anytime at other participating resorts. If your home pass covers several resorts you can't use the add on at any of those resorts. For instance I have a Killington/Pico midweek only pass. I can't use the add on at Killington/Pico anytime. I can however use the add on anytime at other participating resorts including weekends & holidays.


The MAX Pass is a very confusing multi-resort pass at this point.  Glad to hear from people with experience using it.  I only have experience with the MCP, which is much simpler to understand.

post #43 of 53

I noticed that the Max Pass isn't simply a direct walk-on pass at a good chunk of mountains, a couple of which I plan on going to this season (Big Sky, Sugarloaf). Sounds like I'll have to take my pass to the ticket window to redeem for a mtn lift pass. 

 

Anyone have experience with this? Is it a simple process? Am I able to ask for all days at once, or do I have to redeem one day at a time?

post #44 of 53

Last season I had the RMSP+ with a max pass add on. IIRC, Stratton, Killington, Brighton are straight to lift. They just scan the max pass.

We used the 6 days available on out RMSP+ rather than the max pass. It was also a straight to lift affair. Figure that should hold true for the max pass there. 

Big Sky, Crystal, Alpental were the stop at the ticket office and get a separate multi-day pass type of mountain.  

 

You can probably just call the ticket office ahead of time and find out. 

post #45 of 53

This sounds a bit like the MCP, which can be annoying to get a pass at every mountain. I remember it took longer than I hoped at Snowbird and JH.

 

Anyhow, I copied this from the website:

 

M.A.X. Passholders receive a photo ski pass card in the mail, so don’t delay and upload your picture during purchase. Once you have your M.A.X. Pass in hand, you can go directly to the lift line without going to the lift ticket office

The below resorts are the exception to this. At these resorts please visit the lift ticket office each day before hitting the slopes to get a lift ticket printed.

  • Alyeska, Girdwood, AK
  • Big Sky, MT
  • Blue Mountain, Ontario
  • Boreal Mountain, CA
  • Boyne Highland, MI
  • Boyne Mountain, MI
  • Brighton, UT
  • Crested Butte, CO
  • Crystal Mountain, WA
  • Cypress Mountain, B.C.
  • Eldora, CO
  • Loon Mountain, NH
  • Mountain Creek, NJ
  • Mountain High, CA
  • Mount Sunapee, NH
  • Mt. Bachelor, OR
  • Okemo, VT
  • Solitude, UT
  • Sugarloaf,ME
  • Sunday River, ME
  • Wachusett, MA
post #46 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50kVert View Post

 

The below resorts are the exception to this. At these resorts please visit the lift ticket office each day before hitting the slopes to get a lift ticket printed

 

Yes, I saw this on the website and found the wording "visit the lift ticket office each day" a bit alarming. Sounds like a pain if I'm spending four days at Big Sky and have to wait in line at the ticket office every day before hitting the mountain.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGrump View Post

 

Big Sky, Crystal, Alpental were the stop at the ticket office and get a separate multi-day pass type of mountain.  

 

You can probably just call the ticket office ahead of time and find out. 

 

I'm thinking giving them a call is my best bet...you said you were able to get a multi-day pass with one visit to the window though? I hope that's the case with this process.

post #47 of 53

We did 5 days straight at big sky only had to go to the ticket office once. 

If you split up the day, things may be different. 

post #48 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50kVert View Post
 

This sounds a bit like the MCP, which can be annoying to get a pass at every mountain. I remember it took longer than I hoped at Snowbird and JH.

 

Anyhow, I copied this from the website:

 

M.A.X. Passholders receive a photo ski pass card in the mail, so don’t delay and upload your picture during purchase. Once you have your M.A.X. Pass in hand, you can go directly to the lift line without going to the lift ticket office

The below resorts are the exception to this. At these resorts please visit the lift ticket office each day before hitting the slopes to get a lift ticket printed.

  • Alyeska, Girdwood, AK
  • Big Sky, MT
  • Blue Mountain, Ontario
  • Boreal Mountain, CA
  • Boyne Highland, MI
  • Boyne Mountain, MI
  • Brighton, UT
  • Crested Butte, CO
  • Crystal Mountain, WA
  • Cypress Mountain, B.C.
  • Eldora, CO
  • Loon Mountain, NH
  • Mountain Creek, NJ
  • Mountain High, CA
  • Mount Sunapee, NH
  • Mt. Bachelor, OR
  • Okemo, VT
  • Solitude, UT
  • Sugarloaf,ME
  • Sunday River, ME
  • Wachusett, MA


Interesting, looks like Boyne hasn't set up things in order to make direct-to-lift work.  A few of the places were added in 2016 so not much of a surprise that direct-to-lift isn't set up yet.

 

By the way, there are a few destinations on the 2016-17 MCP that have the process in place for people to get the MCP card by mail well in advance.  In general, the first season a resort joins the MCP seems to mean a slightly longer process but by the 2nd or 3rd season the process is pretty smooth.  Especially if the resort has already gone to RFID.

post #49 of 53

Our goal is to hit every mountain in NE on the pass, and a few out West, as well!! Wooo!!!

post #50 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriennemaria View Post
 

Our goal is to hit every mountain in NE on the pass, and a few out West, as well!! Wooo!!!


The MAX Pass does seem well suited to someone who lives in the Boston area.  Will you be going on weekends?

post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriennemaria View Post
 

Our goal is to hit every mountain in NE on the pass, and a few out West, as well!! Wooo!!!


My goal as well!  Just moved to Boston area and figured M.A.X pass was the way to go.  Motivates me to check out a variety of mountains in the region!  Plus I'm from Montana so will ski Big Sky over the Christmas holidays.

post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


The MAX Pass does seem well suited to someone who lives in the Boston area.  Will you be going on weekends?

Mostly weekends, sadly (I'm a teacher).  But also have my days saved up to take off during the winter :)

post #53 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantanaB6 View Post
 


My goal as well!  Just moved to Boston area and figured M.A.X pass was the way to go.  Motivates me to check out a variety of mountains in the region!  Plus I'm from Montana so will ski Big Sky over the Christmas holidays.

Welcome to Boston!

 

The pass really is a great way to get you out and around New England. Although it is definitely not as "Grand" as Montana I'm sure, New England has some stunning scenery, and to me nothing is more beautiful than the White Mountains! Have you visited any of the mountains yet?

 

I hope you enjoy it here! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Skiing News
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Skiing News › The MAX Pass 2016-17 for 39 areas: Killington, Tremblant, Big Sky, Steamboat, Solitude, Brighton, Alyeska, Crested Butte and more