or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Pond skim effect on gear
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pond skim effect on gear

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Looking to do a pond skim at snowbasin in a few days and worried about how it will effect (affect?) my gear assuming i don't make it across (likely). I just recently got some soul 7's that I know will do better than my old 85mm cambered groomer ski but don't want to risk damaging them or their bindings. Considering snow is water, I don't think I will have any problems with the skis but could water get inside the bindings and hurt them? I'm also worried about my boots. I really like my boots and don't want some funky expanding/shrinking/molding etc. to happen to them. Again, assuming I fall, will they be ok if I take the liners out and let them air dry for a while?

Any while I'm at it, any tips for getting across dry? I'm thinking i should just hit it with speed with a fairly neutral stance
post #2 of 24

Skis and bindings should be ok but ski boots??? I wouldn't want to have my ski boot liners completely immersed in water. Rent some boots.

 

As far a technique goes, the only thing that I can think of is "Keep your tips up".

post #3 of 24

I've never done pond skimming before. But I think I would take inspiration from rap artist Fat Joe when he says "lean back."

 

post #4 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoT View Post

Skis and bindings should be ok but ski boots??? I wouldn't want to have my ski boot liners completely immersed in water. Rent some boots.

As far a technique goes, the only thing that I can think of is "Keep your tips up".

I can only imagine the conversation smile.gif

Me: *sets boots on counter to return*
Employee: why are they so wet?
Me: *shrugs*
Employee: *shrugs back and takes them to the storage racks*

And that is why I bought my own boots. Hopefully the shop won't ask to many questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuckerpooks View Post

I've never done pond skimming before. But I think I would take inspiration from rap artist Fat Joe when he says "lean back."



Lol, that gif is all I will be thinking about when the time comes.
post #5 of 24

You are a gutsy young man!  Enjoy your swim.  :D

post #6 of 24
Snow is water, it gets into bindings. Sweat is water with salt, it gets into your liners. Ski equipment can handle water.
post #7 of 24

I used my older gear for this..  Yes it is water, yes snow melts and gets in, but totally submerged seems like a different level to me..

 

post #8 of 24

It took me a few days on the boot dryer to dry out my liners this year. Use old boots if you can. Lean back for sure. Never speed check. Take the jump on your last run.

 

We had 65 degrees and sunny during our pond skip. It was a great way to end the year. Hope you have fun.

 

post #9 of 24

I'm a veteran of many many pond skims, although I do have a perfect record of making it across. Straight skims have become considerably easier with the advent of fat and rockered skis. Your skis/bindings will be just fine. If you were to leave them submerged in the pond for a week you might have issues. But just a quick dip and out again? No problem. Ski equipment is made to get wet. 

 

Your boots will be soaked, and they will take a long time to dry, but there won't be any permanent harm done to them either. They'll be pretty wet even if you make it across, the pond water sprays up to your knees in pretty decent quantity. Don't plan on using the boots for at least a week following. Once you get your boots off, pull the liners, get them on a boot dryer. let the shells air dry, preferably hang them upside down to let them drip. 

 

Tips for making it across... Stay centered, maybe a little further back than usual. Speed is your friend. Don't try to jump or hop to enter the pond, just ski right in. Absorb the back lip to exit, don't try to jump up onto it. Good luck. 

post #10 of 24

You'd better have a sweet outfit to go with! I have the outfit, but will NOT be doing the pond skim. Uh uh, no way.

post #11 of 24

Now that so many do the pond skim on "cheater" fat skis it's no longer an impressive feat.  I recommend cranking it up another level or two.. like this!

 

post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeski919 View Post
 

 

Don't try to jump or hop to enter the pond, just ski right in.

All the pond skims I've seen have a big jump and aren't possible to "ski right in". That must make it much harder right?

post #13 of 24
Thread Starter 
The videos i see for the snowbasin skim show a medium jump (foot or two, fairly flat) with gaps on the side to go in flat. I'm gonna take it like a man and just go for it straight on the jump.
post #14 of 24

Don't forget to leave your wallet, ipod, car remote, and phone with a friend. But do wear your PFD.

post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbat11700 View Post


I can only imagine the conversation smile.gif

Me: *sets boots on counter to return*
Employee: why are they so wet?
Me: *shrugs*
Employee: *shrugs back and takes them to the storage racks*

 

 

*shrugs* - they'll dry out by the fall.

post #16 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
 

 

*shrugs* - they'll dry out by the fall.

typical rental shops! not sure a little water would hurt those 55 flex nordicas anyway

 

I did the pond skim. Almost made it across. We had a rather short run in and the snow was slow so about 1 in 10 was making it. I got right to the end but didn't make it over the lip. I took the liners out of my boots when i got home and they have been drying for the past few days. I can't feel any moisture and they smell alright so i think i'm good!

post #17 of 24

Mammoth's pond skim Sunday had a weird two pool configuration. A short first pool followed by a lip, and then the large pool. The success rate was one out of the whole bunch. 

post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbat11700 View Post
 

typical rental shops! not sure a little water would hurt those 55 flex nordicas anyway

 

I did the pond skim. Almost made it across. We had a rather short run in and the snow was slow so about 1 in 10 was making it. I got right to the end but didn't make it over the lip. I took the liners out of my boots when i got home and they have been drying for the past few days. I can't feel any moisture and they smell alright so i think i'm good!


Did you dress up? Pics? I watched most of it, it was a riot! Interestingly, the earlier folks made it, the middle group didn't, then towards the end, they started making it again. The guys on the ski bikes were probably my favorites.

post #19 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by contesstant View Post


Did you dress up? Pics? I watched most of it, it was a riot! Interestingly, the earlier folks made it, the middle group didn't, then towards the end, they started making it again. The guys on the ski bikes were probably my favorites.

I didn't dress up but my friend did. I was in a Nike hoodie, a blue helmet, some black track pants and the soul 7's. my friend was the one in the booty shorts carrying the American flag.
The triples that got separated and all crashed were my favorite.

I'll see if I can get some pics up smile.gif
post #20 of 24
Thread Starter 

got some pictures

 

Me about halfway through. I think I was leaning back to much. 

 

 

 

One of my friends in his booty shorts and American flag

 

 

My little brother and his attempt for best wipeout (didn't win)

post #21 of 24

Awesome!

post #22 of 24

Ha! those are some good pics. Cheers!

post #23 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooDooThere View Post

Ha! those are some good pics. Cheers!
there actually stills taken from a video wink.gif
post #24 of 24

Don't worry about your boots. they could probably use a good cleaning. just pull the liners and let them dry with a snap dry or something that moves air through them. Skiing is a water sport after all!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Pond skim effect on gear