My family is coming to Winter Park for the first time April 21 - 24. Looking at the long-range forecast the warm temperatures appear to be continuing, with some snow in the forecast the weekend prior to our arrival. Does someone with experience skiing Winter Park have any recommendations on how we should plan our skiing day so that we have the best chance for soft snow throughout the day? I am not familiar with the north facing runs, etc. The whole family is comfortable on blue/black groomers and below.
- itemWinter Parktagged by marznc, 4/12/16
Related Forum Threads
- Copper vs Winter Park at Thanksgiving Last post on 10/10/16 at 3:50am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- MAX Pass in CO in April? [- A Family Skiing thread] Last post on 9/29/16 at 10:15am in Family Skiing Discussions
- Winter Park in March Last post on 9/23/16 at 6:43am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Will Winter Park or Steamboat be Busiest the weekend before Christmas? Last post on 9/5/16 at 4:31pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Winter Park ski train set for 2016-17 Last post on 9/4/16 at 9:34am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Winter Park - End of Season Strategy
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Having skied WPMJ every weekend for the past 12:
1. I wouldn't try to plan the day until the day. Temperatures and amount of sun will dictate everything, and you can't know that much in advance.
2. Generally, a leisurely breakfast, putting you on mountain after 10, and some good craft beers, pulling you off the mountain by 2, is a good plan. Don't stop for lunch.
3. Until your last sentence, I would have said get to the southeast facing runs first, as they soften up first. Unfortunately, those are the challenging bump runs off the Challenger lift at MJ such as Cannonball, Short/LongHaul, Coupler, Brakeman, Derailleur, etc. Those runs seem to have a longer snow quality sweet spot than the stuff higher up at this time of year.
4. At this time of year, it gets warm enough that even the north facing runs stiffen up quite a bit overnight and don't soften up quite as quickly in the morning.
5. As of last Saturday, the overall mountain coverage is fabulous for this time of year, with no brown spots at all, and some of the models are suggesting a big dump this weekend. That, combined with the low crowds, means you have a really good chance of having a great time.
- Winter Park - End of Season Strategy
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 2 minutes ago
- › Quick Bonafide size question? 9 minutes ago
- › Australia / New Zealand 2016 23 minutes ago
- › First time buying skis - need suggestions please 25 minutes ago
- › October 2016 Image of the Month Contest 54 minutes ago
- › Big Sky 2016-2017 57 minutes ago
- › Best Budget Skiing in North America? 59 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 1 hour, 15 minutes ago
- › Kids boot sizing 1 hour, 18 minutes ago
- › Race Boot Recommendations 1 hour, 19 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer