My family is coming to Winter Park for the first time April 21 - 24. Looking at the long-range forecast the warm temperatures appear to be continuing, with some snow in the forecast the weekend prior to our arrival. Does someone with experience skiing Winter Park have any recommendations on how we should plan our skiing day so that we have the best chance for soft snow throughout the day? I am not familiar with the north facing runs, etc. The whole family is comfortable on blue/black groomers and below.
- itemWinter Parktagged by marznc, 4/12/16
Related Forum Threads
- Spring vacation trip ideas, for a family with beginners, intermediates, and advanced skiers Last post on 3/25/17 at 7:25pm in Family Skiing Discussions
- Winter Park Transportation Last post on 3/7/17 at 9:19am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Request for input related to deciding between Copper, Winter Park or Steamboat for family trip Last post on 1/27/17 at 2:24pm in Family Skiing Discussions
- Colorado Skiing - Which have no lift lines? Last post on 1/22/17 at 3:11pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Late March or Early April - Granby Ranch, Cooper, Other? Last post on 1/15/17 at 11:39pm in Family Skiing Discussions
EpicSki Interview with Patrick Torsell of Ski Cooper: Part 2
Last edited: 1/20/17
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: 10/24/16
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Winter Park - End of Season Strategy
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Having skied WPMJ every weekend for the past 12:
1. I wouldn't try to plan the day until the day. Temperatures and amount of sun will dictate everything, and you can't know that much in advance.
2. Generally, a leisurely breakfast, putting you on mountain after 10, and some good craft beers, pulling you off the mountain by 2, is a good plan. Don't stop for lunch.
3. Until your last sentence, I would have said get to the southeast facing runs first, as they soften up first. Unfortunately, those are the challenging bump runs off the Challenger lift at MJ such as Cannonball, Short/LongHaul, Coupler, Brakeman, Derailleur, etc. Those runs seem to have a longer snow quality sweet spot than the stuff higher up at this time of year.
4. At this time of year, it gets warm enough that even the north facing runs stiffen up quite a bit overnight and don't soften up quite as quickly in the morning.
5. As of last Saturday, the overall mountain coverage is fabulous for this time of year, with no brown spots at all, and some of the models are suggesting a big dump this weekend. That, combined with the low crowds, means you have a really good chance of having a great time.
- Winter Park - End of Season Strategy
- › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke 1 minute ago
- › Best East Coast Skiing in late Spring? 1 minute ago
- › Looking for a pair of park/freestyle ski 2 minutes ago
- › Mountains that offer skiing and mountain biking 2 minutes ago
- › Skier dies in accident at Hunter Mountain 3 minutes ago
- › Yep, Another Boot Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Aspen end of March?? 15 minutes ago
- › My 2nd annual Banff trip: March 9 – 11, 2017 18 minutes ago
- › Taos Ski Valley 2016-2017 Ski, Stoke, Weather 19 minutes ago
- › Real advice on skis in the 100-110 waist 24 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview