My family is coming to Winter Park for the first time April 21 - 24. Looking at the long-range forecast the warm temperatures appear to be continuing, with some snow in the forecast the weekend prior to our arrival. Does someone with experience skiing Winter Park have any recommendations on how we should plan our skiing day so that we have the best chance for soft snow throughout the day? I am not familiar with the north facing runs, etc. The whole family is comfortable on blue/black groomers and below.
- itemWinter Parktagged by marznc, 4/12/16
Related Forum Threads
- any kind of andy's-like handbook for skiing winter park like a local? Last post on 11/4/16 at 2:58pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Copper vs Winter Park at Thanksgiving Last post on 10/10/16 at 3:50am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- MAX Pass in CO in April? [- A Family Skiing thread] Last post on 9/29/16 at 10:15am in Family Skiing Discussions
- Winter Park in March Last post on 9/23/16 at 6:43am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Will Winter Park or Steamboat be Busiest the weekend before Christmas? Last post on 9/5/16 at 4:31pm in General Skiing Discussion
For any east coast skiers this is like Mad River Glen with wider slopes and big drops to jump off of along with skiing between the trees. Just an all out amazing ski area. Simple and great...
I really love this place, it doesn't have the crowds that the other places around Ottawa have, but this is a legit ski place and is one of those hidden gems that hardcore ski guys/gals love. They...
Good for high volumn, pronated feet, i.e: This is the anti-matter Lange XLR/Banshe/Comp but still very good for people with wider, flatter, lower arched feet who needed or wanted a stiffer boot....
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Winter Park - End of Season Strategy
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Having skied WPMJ every weekend for the past 12:
1. I wouldn't try to plan the day until the day. Temperatures and amount of sun will dictate everything, and you can't know that much in advance.
2. Generally, a leisurely breakfast, putting you on mountain after 10, and some good craft beers, pulling you off the mountain by 2, is a good plan. Don't stop for lunch.
3. Until your last sentence, I would have said get to the southeast facing runs first, as they soften up first. Unfortunately, those are the challenging bump runs off the Challenger lift at MJ such as Cannonball, Short/LongHaul, Coupler, Brakeman, Derailleur, etc. Those runs seem to have a longer snow quality sweet spot than the stuff higher up at this time of year.
4. At this time of year, it gets warm enough that even the north facing runs stiffen up quite a bit overnight and don't soften up quite as quickly in the morning.
5. As of last Saturday, the overall mountain coverage is fabulous for this time of year, with no brown spots at all, and some of the models are suggesting a big dump this weekend. That, combined with the low crowds, means you have a really good chance of having a great time.
- Winter Park - End of Season Strategy
- › New skis! [for Colorado to replace MX83] 10 minutes ago
- › Vail or Breck 12/18 - 12/22 Solo 12 minutes ago
- › The Narrower Stance? 17 minutes ago
- › Wandering ski tips 42 minutes ago
- › No matter what I can't far enough forward-how do I fix this 52 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 52 minutes ago
- › Interesting/complicated/scary stories from La Grave?-Please do tell 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › In what conditions is it permissible to lift the inner ski without... 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › Epic Discussion Starter 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › Ok I have another worry about ski backs failing to come around in... 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › Kirkwood Mountain Resort by Debbie Burke
- › Mont Sainte Marie by Charles J White
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by aarrkk
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › The Ins and Outs of Proper Layering
- › 2017 Smith ChromaPop - It's Basically...
- › EpicSki Interview with Jess McMillan
- › Epic Ski Image of the Month Contest Terms and...
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis