or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › Whistler 2017 Gathering- General Info, Questions and Advice Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Whistler 2017 Gathering- General Info, Questions and Advice Thread - Page 6

post #151 of 382

Apologies if this was already posted, but VR just announced that Epic and Epic local passes will have 5 free days at WB this season. http://news.vailresorts.com/corporate/whistler-blackcomb-vail-resorts-epic-pass.htm

 

Unfortunately, VR employees will not have any free days or discounts until next season.  I have been to some of the Summit-Eagle gatherings and would have loved to check out WB this year, but will likely wait until it is included in my pass. Enjoy!!!!

post #152 of 382

Wow, that's good news for sure.  Shame about not extending it to employees yet.  Some people will have to look into purchasing an epic pass over the Whistler Blackcomb tickets.  Could be the way to go.

post #153 of 382

If I spend $80 upgrading my Tahoe Local Pass to Epic Local Pass, I would add 5 Whistler days on top of the 5 days I already get for Vail CO/UT resorts. But I already have 3 days at Whistler from Mountain Collective and will most likely only ski 4 days there during Gathering. And I don't want to lose the 6 Buddy tickets I got for purchasing Vail pass in April. So many places to go and not sure how much I can get away.

post #154 of 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseeb View Post
 

If I spend $80 upgrading my Tahoe Local Pass to Epic Local Pass, I would add 5 Whistler days on top of the 5 days I already get for Vail CO/UT resorts. But I already have 3 days at Whistler from Mountain Collective and will most likely only ski 4 days there during Gathering. And I don't want to lose the 6 Buddy tickets I got for purchasing Vail pass in April. So many places to go and not sure how much I can get away.

 

I think that 4th day at Whistler with the MCP will be at half price about $65-70CDN but what if it starts snowing hard on that 4th day/night and you want to stay another day, for another $65-70CDN?

 

One other thought: Last season I used my 2 MCP days at Blackcomb last May, might it work for you for a spring trip?

post #155 of 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoT View Post

 

I think that 4th day at Whistler with the MCP will be at half price about $65-70CDN but what if it starts snowing hard on that 4th day/night and you want to stay another day, for another $65-70CDN?

It's also possible that I will only get three days at WB if a day gets skipped due to weather, but that is more likely for my wife than me as she is not much for skiing during storms, especially for multiple days. Also by the middle of the week,our hotel reservation in Seattle for Fri will be not be cancel-able. And I realize you can get to Seattle after skiing more than a half-day at WB as I did last year, but I'm trying to have a more relaxing trip with some sight-seeing with my wife.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoT View Post

 

One other thought: Last season I used my 2 MCP days at Blackcomb last May, might it work for you for a spring trip?

Thanks for the idea, but it's a lot easier for those who live within easy driving distance. I'll be more likely to be using my MCP Mammoth and any remaining Squaw days in May.

post #156 of 382

for idenfying participants we should all chip in to get Jacques up here .

he can probably supply a one piece suit for everyone 

post #157 of 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseeb View Post

If I spend $80 upgrading my Tahoe Local Pass to Epic Local Pass, I would add 5 Whistler days on top of the 5 days I already get for Vail CO/UT resorts. But I already have 3 days at Whistler from Mountain Collective and will most likely only ski 4 days there during Gathering. And I don't want to lose the 6 Buddy tickets I got for purchasing Vail pass in April. So many places to go and not sure how much I can get away.

Isn't Tahoe Local is based primarily for Tahoe and Epic Local for Colorado? If not $80 I would jump too smile.gif
I will be at whisper only 3 days 3/6-3/8 that could really work for me
Edited by Oleg S - 10/25/16 at 10:51pm
post #158 of 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg S View Post


Isn't Tahoe Local is based primarily for Tahoe and Epic Local for Colorado? If not $80 I would jump too smile.gif
I will be at whisper only 3 days 3/6-3/8 that could really work for me

 

If you mean Whistler 3/6-3/8, then check out their website to see if you can buy lift tickets online in advance. These days a lot of ski resorts are offering up to 40% off if tickets are purchased well in advance for specific dates. I think it ends up that the purchases are made through Liftopia but I don't know if Whistler does this or not.

post #159 of 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg S View Post


Isn't Tahoe Local is based primarily for Tahoe and Epic Local for Colorado? If not $80 I would jump too smile.gif
I will be at whisper only 3 days 3/6-3/8 that could really work for me

 

Epic Local adds unlimited, unrestricted skiing or riding at Breckenridge, Keystone, Wilmot, Afton Alps, Mt. Brighton and Arapahoe Basin to what you get with Tahoe Local. Also includes a total of 10 days at Vail and Beaver Creek with holiday restrictions, plus 5 days at Whistler Blackcomb - from http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/passes/epic-local-pass.aspx

 

So you should try to stay at Whistler longer since you should be skiing for $80 whether for 3, 4 or 5 days. I don't think you would find a better deal, even if tickets are bundled with lodging. As I posted previously, you may want to make sure you don't lose any Buddy tickets you received from purchasing early if those are important to you. Have you given up on Powder Highway?

 

From me, the math gets more complicated since I already have 3 free Whistler tickets from Mountain Collective and don't plan to ski there more than 4 four days. I'm also not sure if I will be going to CO where I already get 5 free days at Vail resorts.
 

post #160 of 382

checked Whistler early buy option (before Nov 15)

3 days --> $322 CAD (or $241 US), Liftopia has no Whistler specials; so, seems like updating to Epic from Tahoe is really the cheapest option (for me, I don't have MCP)

(I already have air for miles and place to stay, just need lift)

 

P.S. Powder Highway is still at works, trying for end of Jan beginning of Feb.


Edited by Oleg S - 10/26/16 at 9:38am
post #161 of 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseeb View Post

Epic Local adds unlimited, unrestricted skiing or riding at Breckenridge, Keystone, Wilmot, Afton Alps, Mt. Brighton and Arapahoe Basin to what you get with Tahoe Local. Also includes a total of 10 days at Vail and Beaver Creek with holiday restrictions, plus 5 days at Whistler Blackcomb - from http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/passes/epic-local-pass.aspx

So you should try to stay at Whistler longer since you should be skiing for $80 whether for 3, 4 or 5 days. I don't think you would find a better deal, even if tickets are bundled with lodging. As I posted previously, you may want to make sure you don't lose any Buddy tickets you received from purchasing early if those are important to you. Have you given up on Powder Highway?

From me, the math gets more complicated since I already have 3 free Whistler tickets from Mountain Collective and don't plan to ski there more than 4 four days. I'm also not sure if I will be going to CO where I already get 5 free days at Vail resorts.

 

It doesn't seem to me to be complicated. You know you are going to Whistler, you know you will use your MCP there for 3 days. Unless you have plans to go to Keystone, Breck, or Abasin, or the likelihood of an addtional trip to Whistler to take advantage of the extra 5 days, I don't see the point in upgrading, even if it is only $80. Because it's not just $80, it's however much it costs in travel, meals and accommodations to take advantage of the benefits of that extra $80. In other words, how much more time and money will it cost you so that you can feel good about spending $80?

Heck, you could just give me the $80 as a consultation fee, saving you all the money you would have had to spend to take advantage of the extra skiing days. Just a suggestion. I have others.
post #162 of 382

Actually, $80 is short money for something that "forces" you to ski more.

post #163 of 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredUsername View Post


It doesn't seem to me to be complicated. You know you are going to Whistler, you know you will use your MCP there for 3 days. Unless you have plans to go to Keystone, Breck, or Abasin, or the likelihood of an addtional trip to Whistler to take advantage of the extra 5 days, I don't see the point in upgrading, even if it is only $80. Because it's not just $80, it's however much it costs in travel, meals and accommodations to take advantage of the benefits of that extra $80. In other words, how much more time and money will it cost you so that you can feel good about spending $80?

Heck, you could just give me the $80 as a consultation fee, saving you all the money you would have had to spend to take advantage of the extra skiing days. Just a suggestion. I have others.

It's really only about $25 as that is the difference between having my 4th WB day on MCP vs Epic Local. And a 5th WB partial day if 'free' is possible so I'm coming around to DanoT's recommendation.

 

For me the time and money is not that big of a problem. The harder part is getting away without my wife as she is still working for another year or two and does not get much time off. I also try not to give Vail any more $ than necessary. I could have saved some by getting Tahoe Value pass last year as I never skied Kirkwood or Northstar on a Saturday, but I would have lost the 5 free CO/UT days and I used three on my way to/from the Gathering.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
 

Actually, $80 is short money for something that "forces" you to ski more.

+1. It would not be that big of a hardship to have to go to A-Basin after other Vail resorts close to make sure I come out ahead on the $80. But if I have not used any of my 5 CO/UT days, they would not count until after 5.

post #164 of 382

This has been mentioned earlier in this thread, but In the Bellingham Herald this morning there is an article about two people who were caught at a local border crossing trying to enter Canada with firearms.  These were two separate cases, but each will be in jail for a month.  It doesn't say, but I doubt they get to keep their weapons or their ability to cross into Canada.  If you're coming to the Gathering, don't bring any kind of weapon, especially a gun.  I suppose there is some way to legally take firearms across the border legally, but I doubt that it's easy.

post #165 of 382


I'm certainly speculating, but I imagine there must have been a little more to it? Perhaps they lied or "forgot" what they were carrying? (A reasonable excuse for a few pieces of produce, but definitely not in this case.) If they legitimately made a mistake but were upfront about it, surely they'd just be turned back to the US.

 

Still, "don't bring weapons" seems like good advice for just about any situation.

post #166 of 382

Canadian gun laws are extremely strict, so unless they made previous arrangements and were either going hunting or attending a competition, they just ran afoul of the laws.  Stupid if by accident, criminal if they were purposely trying to sneak them in.  

post #167 of 382

got my "Epic" pass instead of Tahoe ($120 more) but still worth money because buying 3 days in Whistler would offset me about $240US (before Nov15)

post #168 of 382

Throwing someone in jail for a month because they answered "yes, I have firearms; my mistake" is beyond stupid assuming the firearms were legal in the US and said person cooperated fully with the boarder agents, because now all you've done is sent the message that maybe it's better to lie should that ever happen again and have a chance of not ending up in jail (at the expense, perhaps, of risking much more than a month in jail). However, again, this is pure speculation and probably not what happened. I think that beyond a link to the article discussing the details it's best to leave this thread to skiing discussion.

 

On that note, things are starting to look pretty white:

post #169 of 382

Well, since you mentioned it...LOL

 

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/crime/article110842032.html

 

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/crime/article110842032.html

 

 

 

I would rather talk about the white stuff myself...damn, that looks good!  Wish I was able to make this trip, but it's not in the cards at the moment.  

Have they opened for skiing yet?

post #170 of 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post

This has been mentioned earlier in this thread, but In the Bellingham Herald this morning there is an article about two people who were caught at a local border crossing trying to enter Canada with firearms.  These were two separate cases, but each will be in jail for a month.  It doesn't say, but I doubt they get to keep their weapons or their ability to cross into Canada.  If you're coming to the Gathering, don't bring any kind of weapon, especially a gun.  I suppose there is some way to legally take firearms across the border legally, but I doubt that it's easy.


 



Guns have to be declared coming into Canada and even if you have a permit to carry, my understanding from friends on boats that declare them is they are taken and not returned until you return to the US. The people in question above did not declare the guns and are charged with smuggling when something is not declared. I doubt he forgot they had a saw off shotgun in the vehicle and a hand gun.
"Border officers found a sawed-off shotgun hidden in the first vehicle. Parts of a disassembled handgun were found in the other. Tudela, the CBSA said, told officers both guns belonged to him. Anyone traveling into Canada with firearms must declare them to officers." From the quoted article.

Tudela pleaded guilty on Sept. 7 in Abbotsford Provincial Court to smuggling a firearm into Canada and possessing a firearm without a license and/or registration, according to the CBSA.

I actually had an crossing guard inform me I could not carry pepper spray for my protection against a possible attacker or that is considered a weapon, but bear spray or wasp spray for the purpose of fending off an animal is allowed, but not if you intend to use it on a person. If you are bringing in a product that has to be declared and are Canadian you can be banned from crossing the border for 5 years; if you have a criminal record you can't freely cross, so those that are spending time in jail and receive a criminal record will not be able to cross in future.My mother was caught bringing something over well after she was 65 and they gave her a warning, she was still allowed to cross but it was a written warning and if she crossed without declaring all purchases again in future she would be barred from crossing for 5 years.
post #171 of 382

Oh but along with above about declaring what ever you have.....

 

Everyone, whether they drink or not, should be sure to declare their allowed alcohol, as it's very very expensive in Canada.  If you are a smoker, bring your tobacco limit, it is also very expensive due to sin taxes.

 

  • 1.5 liters of wine, or 1.14 liters (40 ounces) of liquor, or 24 cans or bottles of beer.
  • 1 carton (200 cigarettes), up to 50 cigars, and 200g of loose tobacco
  • Up to $60 in gifts per recipient. (excluding alcohol and tobacco)
  • You can bring a “reasonable amount of perfume.
  • There are no restrictions on cameras
  • You can bring a “reasonable amount” of film
  • You can bring gifts duty free so long as none exceed $60

That is the allowance from the US site, you can scroll down and see it https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/clearing-customs/what-will-it-cost/#.WBiIWC3x74Y

Canadian are allowed the same if they have been in the US for 48 hours.   http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/atl-lat-eng.html

post #172 of 382

US residents make sure you check that link to the US border restrictions before you return to the US, 

One item which often tripped up Americans were Cuban cigars, if you bought them and didn't smoke them you lost them on return  

But for both nations if you openly declare what you have the worst case is any of your non complying items stay at the border .  

If you have restricted items which you try to conceal either way you might be staying at the border or banned from crossing in future.

Its much easier and way faster to just be in compliance, it's not hard. 

.

post #173 of 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_Salina View Post

Oh but along with above about declaring what ever you have.....

Everyone, whether they drink or not, should be sure to declare their allowed alcohol, as it's very very expensive in Canada.  If you are a smoker, bring your tobacco limit, it is also very expensive due to sin taxes.

  • 1.5 liters of wine, or 1.14 liters (40 ounces) of liquor, or 24 cans or bottles of beer.


  • 1 carton (200 cigarettes), up to 50 cigars, and 200g of loose tobacco


  • Up to $60 in gifts per recipient. (excluding alcohol and tobacco)


  • You can bring a “reasonable amount of perfume.


  • There are no restrictions on cameras


  • You can bring a “reasonable amount” of film


  • You can bring gifts duty free so long as none exceed $60



That is the allowance from the US site, you can scroll down and see it https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/clearing-customs/what-will-it-cost/#.WBiIWC3x74Y



Canadian are allowed the same if they have been in the US for 48 hours.   http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/atl-lat-eng.html


Film, how quaint.

Otherwise, just stop drinking and using tobacco and call it good.

And leave those weapons at home! Bring only your sharp wit.
post #174 of 382

With all of these warnings, which are justified, don't get too worked up about crossing the border if you haven't done it.  As long as you have proper ID, you aren't bringing in weapons, too much booze, or any fresh produce, you'll almost certainly sail through.  Most of the time when I get to the line they ask me where I'm headed, where home is, what is the purpose of my visit, do I have any weapons, and maybe one other random question. Then I'm off.

 

If you want any booze or tobacco stop at the duty free shop just short of the border. In Blaine it's easiest at the SR 543 "truck" crossing, which is not only for trucks.  There's an exit for it from I-5 a mile or two from the border.

 

However, if you want to get stopped and searched, drive through in an old VW bus with a bunch of stuff in the back and argue with the border agent.  Works every time.

post #175 of 382
 
 

However, if you want to get stopped and searched, argue with the border agent.  Works every time.

when i worked as a Customs Officer we used to call it the "silly bugger game". 

We were there for 8 hours, they were welcome to keep us company. 

post #176 of 382

I'm looking at air travel from Boston to Vancouver.  A couple of options include connections in Canada and I am trying to figure out how that interacts with customs (and how much time I need).  Do you get your luggage, clear customs, and then give the luggage back to the airline?  Or do you clear at your final destination?  And if you clear at the connecting airport, how long do you need?  3 hours? more?  (Looking at Toronto or Montreal, primarily.)

 

Thanks for any info.

post #177 of 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
 

I'm looking at air travel from Boston to Vancouver.  A couple of options include connections in Canada and I am trying to figure out how that interacts with customs (and how much time I need).  Do you get your luggage, clear customs, and then give the luggage back to the airline?  Or do you clear at your final destination?  And if you clear at the connecting airport, how long do you need?  3 hours? more?  (Looking at Toronto or Montreal, primarily.)

 

Thanks for any info.

 

I can't answer your questions other than to recommend flying Westjet and avoiding Air Canada if possible. The main reason is that Air Canada have a bad habit, especially if you change planes, of having your luggage arrive on a later plane. Things may be different if you are changing from an international flight to a domestic flight.

 

The problems that I have observed occurs when skiers arrive at Vancouver, Kelowna, or Calgary and are then flying a connector flight to Kamloops on their way to Sun Peaks. At the demo centre where I work we have an Air Canada billing setup in our computer system for supplying skis to Air Canada passengers who arrive at Sun Peaks without their skis but no similar system setup for Westjet passengers as it is not needed.

post #178 of 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
 

I'm looking at air travel from Boston to Vancouver.  A couple of options include connections in Canada and I am trying to figure out how that interacts with customs (and how much time I need).  Do you get your luggage, clear customs, and then give the luggage back to the airline?  Or do you clear at your final destination?  And if you clear at the connecting airport, how long do you need?  3 hours? more?  (Looking at Toronto or Montreal, primarily.)

 

Thanks for any info.


As far as I know, if you have a connection in Canada on the way out, you'll have to pickup your luggage, go through customs, and then drop the luggage off again with the airline running your next flight. Otherwise it would be very difficult to deal with any situation where you needed to remove something from your luggage at customs (which probably won't be an issue, but this thread already has several examples of things that would be just fine to pack domestically but problematic internationally).

 

Going back gets interesting if you connect at Toronto because there are actually US customs located in that airport (to enable connecting flights to US airports that can't service international flights). Given that your final destination is probably also an international airport, I'm not entirely sure what happens. I'm also not sure whether there are any other airports like this. Otherwise, you'll just go through customs at your final destination on the way back, making connections much simpler.

post #179 of 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
 

I'm looking at air travel from Boston to Vancouver.  A couple of options include connections in Canada and I am trying to figure out how that interacts with customs (and how much time I need).  Do you get your luggage, clear customs, and then give the luggage back to the airline?  Or do you clear at your final destination?  And if you clear at the connecting airport, how long do you need?  3 hours? more?  (Looking at Toronto or Montreal, primarily.)

 

Thanks for any info.


If you intend to rent a car anyway, and don't mind the 5 hr drive, you may want to fly into Seattle.  You'll probably save $200 or $300 in airfare per person and you can cross the border in your car. 

 

As for connecting, you generally clear customs, have to pick up your luggage and check-in again.  Once you've done that all flights are internal to Canada so you will have less boarding time wait generally.  Toronto is a busy and generally miserable airport for service.  Montreal I'm sure is not much better.  I would leave an hour for getting your luggage, especially with ski gear.  Customs is fairly quick normally, at least typical I'd say.  Then you have to drop your bags at the connecting flight carousel, check-in and go through security again.  They say an hour or something but I'd give more than that personally.  Especially in Toronto.  Here's a link to how it works at Toronto airport.

https://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#

 

As mentioned, Air Canada has left my luggage behind more than once so that may be an issue.  Usually it's destinations with more flights per day, rather than just one a day.  I think they fly to Vancouver several times a day, but it's still disappointing.

post #180 of 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post

I'm looking at air travel from Boston to Vancouver.  A couple of options include connections in Canada and I am trying to figure out how that interacts with customs (and how much time I need).  Do you get your luggage, clear customs, and then give the luggage back to the airline?  Or do you clear at your final destination?  And if you clear at the connecting airport, how long do you need?  3 hours? more?  (Looking at Toronto or Montreal, primarily.)

Thanks for any info.
Just fly into sfo
Grab @Matchstix and the subie
And road trip the rest of the way
Imagine the possibilities

Oops, won't work cause the wife is going

Hmm
Have the wife fly into Vancouver and pick her up
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › Whistler 2017 Gathering- General Info, Questions and Advice Thread