or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Setup Question

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

For Pow skis for next season, I have it down to Bent Chetler & Magnum Opus. I'm leaning toward the M.O., but one consideration is the binding mount position. Based on the in-depth review below, they discuss the advantages of two different mount positions. They talk about it as if it is super easy to switch them back and forth. I have zero experience in this, so am seeking feedback on what it takes to move the bindings back and forth 2cm... BTW, I'm looking at Look Pivot 18 bindings (not sure if that's compatible with this operation...).  

 

 

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2014-2015-line-magnum-opus 

post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmy37 View Post
 

For Pow skis for next season, I have it down to Bent Chetler & Magnum Opus. I'm leaning toward the M.O., but one consideration is the binding mount position. Based on the in-depth review below, they discuss the advantages of two different mount positions. They talk about it as if it is super easy to switch them back and forth. I have zero experience in this, so am seeking feedback on what it takes to move the bindings back and forth 2cm... BTW, I'm looking at Look Pivot 18 bindings (not sure if that's compatible with this operation...).  

 

 

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2014-2015-line-magnum-opus 


It takes bindings on a demo plate.

post #3 of 10


Hey Jmy37,

 

The skis you have chosen are both great choices, and either one will work fine with the Pivot 18's as long as you get wider brakes.

 

As far as switching your binding mount position goes, this is easily done......by your local shop that has the mounting jig. That said, you can't just go back and forth between the different mounting points. I have some experience with the M.O's and will recommend a +2cm mounting point on these as it makes them that much more playful.

 

So to answer your question directly it's very easy to remount your bindings, but you can't/shouldn't remount them into an old/existing set of holes. If you were to do this I wouldn't do it without installing heli coils in the old hole you are about to reuse.....any reputable shop should be able to do this if need be.

 

Hope this helps.....

post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyCanuck View Post
 


Hey Jmy37,

 

The skis you have chosen are both great choices, and either one will work fine with the Pivot 18's as long as you get wider brakes.

 

As far as switching your binding mount position goes, this is easily done......by your local shop that has the mounting jig. That said, you can't just go back and forth between the different mounting points. I have some experience with the M.O's and will recommend a +2cm mounting point on these as it makes them that much more playful.

 

So to answer your question directly it's very easy to remount your bindings, but you can't/shouldn't remount them into an old/existing set of holes. If you were to do this I wouldn't do it without installing heli coils in the old hole you are about to reuse.....any reputable shop should be able to do this if need be.

 

Hope this helps.....

Very helpful feedback. Thanks! Is the +2cm position the "Eric's Choice" line? I definitely want a more playful setup, but also don't want to get tossed around in the deep chop / tracked out powder. I'm a bit larger than average. 6'2" ~215lbs, if that's relevant. 

 

Also, I'm wondering if the demo plate option is a good one, or if that would effect performance in a material way? 

post #5 of 10


You generally cant buy a demo binding at retail, and if you could I'm not sure that the Pivot is available as a demo due to the way the heel is mounted.

 

With your size you should have no issue getting over the front of the skis, so you could go either way. Moving the mount forward will loosen the tails and make them a bit more freestyle like.

post #6 of 10

The only way to play with the bindings position until you know what position is optimal for you and for your skiing is to mount them on a plate. If you mount them on naked skis you will need to punch more holes on your new ski and you will not be able to play with the position  several times within a given day, so choose your beer. I had  Look Pivot 12 (14) on a plate ,  you can possibly find the 18 somewhere. (if ever you really need the 18)

post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogatyr View Post
 

The only way to play with the bindings position until you know what position is optimal for you and for your skiing is to mount them on a plate. If you mount them on naked skis you will need to punch more holes on your new ski and you will not be able to play with the position  several times within a given day, so choose your beer. I had  Look Pivot 12 (14) on a plate ,  you can possibly find the 18 somewhere. (if ever you really need the 18)

Can you recc a plate?

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmy37 View Post
 

Can you recc a plate?


Check levelnine.

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmy37 View Post
 

Can you recc a plate?

 

Just a comment.....if you were looking at the Pivot binding because of its smaller mounting footprint (which will allow the ski to flex more naturally) adding a plate will negate most if not all of this possible benefit.  Plates will also lift you higher off the ski.....while fine for racing, it's not ideal for freeriding.

 

If you really wanted a binding that can shift back and forth when you want and doesn't require remounting, you might want to look at Marker Schizo binding in either Griffon or Jester version (13 & 18 DIN respectively). These bindings allow you to adjust easily +/- 3cm from your mounting point.

 

To be honest I wouldn't lose much sleep over this issue just mount them and ski, if you really have issues with the way they ski then have them remounted. In most cases people overthink this whole issue, and if you just ski them you will become accustomed to how they ski.

 

This is a classic skier thing where we try to over think and geek/tech out over minutia, that the majority of skiers would not really notice a substantial difference either way......but they'll tell you they do, and in most cases it's all in their head.

 

My skiing motto - "Just shut up & Ski!"

post #10 of 10

I pretty much agree with everything said by KrazyCanuck . This bindings moving business (back and forth) is a pure placebo and  people like it and drink it a lot particularly here on Epic.Someone says '' I couldn't ski this ski at all , but I moved the bindings 1 cm and they started to ski fantastically good. '' People are reading this and believe they really can't ski their own skis  if the bindings are not moved to some different from the manufacturer's point position. I don't drink this and I just ski my ski, but if you really need to move your bindings then I agree that these Marker Schizo,Griffon, Jester offerings make more sense then punching your new ski twice just for the sake of trying ' new binding position'.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion