IDK, Mojave is kind of a sketchy desert town prolly full of meth heads. Lancaster is full of gangstas. Palmdale is slightly less gangsta. Maybe Santa Clarita just to give you a little head start in the am? I'm sure you would be fine but just my take.
Related Forum Threads
- Mammoth or Squaw Valley? Last post on 3/28/16 at 3:20pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Early April Skiing with Kids? [a Family Skiing thread] Last post on 2/2/16 at 3:32pm in Family Skiing Discussions
- Mammoth Mountain for 2015-2016 Last post on 8/27/16 at 6:37pm in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- TRs - June 2013 Skiing Last post on 6/29/13 at 12:45pm in Trip Reports
- What to expect in mammoth? Last post on 5/16/15 at 10:38am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Mammoth Mountain, Eastern Sierra, CALast edited: 1/31/16
- Spring Snow Base PreparationLast edited: 4/24/11
For any east coast skiers this is like Mad River Glen with wider slopes and big drops to jump off of along with skiing between the trees. Just an all out amazing ski area. Simple and great...
I really love this place, it doesn't have the crowds that the other places around Ottawa have, but this is a legit ski place and is one of those hidden gems that hardcore ski guys/gals love. They...
Good for high volumn, pronated feet, i.e: This is the anti-matter Lange XLR/Banshe/Comp but still very good for people with wider, flatter, lower arched feet who needed or wanted a stiffer boot....
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Mammoth Mid May Worth It? - Page 2post #31 of 414/18/16 at 7:40pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 414/18/16 at 7:50pm
Another vote for driving all the way up and staying at the Mammoth Mountain Inn. Leaving LA at 7 would put you in around midnight. Wherever you decide to rest your head, there's no way around the math of: drive time + sleep time = start time. Might as well roll out of bed across the parking lot from the gondola. They should have late season rate deals.post #33 of 414/18/16 at 10:44pm
I made it from Long Beach to Mammoth in 5 and a half hours a couple weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon/evening. I don't know how late you like to stay up but I'd definitely try to get to at least Lone Pine, if not Bishop. The drive through the desert is really quite easy.post #34 of 414/19/16 at 9:24amQuote = cosmoliu:Wherever you decide to rest your head, there's no way around the math of: drive time + sleep time = start time.
This is true but if the ski days are Sat/Sun/Mon that means he's driving Friday evening. From where in L.A.? If it's Westside/LAX area it's possible 7PM is still on the early side for battling some rush hour traffic until he gets at least to the 14 Freeway past Santa Clarita.
Given time change coming from the East Coast and departure perhaps 8PM, I'd vote now for Lone Pine or Bishop Friday night.post #35 of 414/19/16 at 8:41pm
I think his point is that he doesn't want to drive on a long straight boring drive (by himself?) at night while tired. 3 hours ahead is significant. I wouldn't want to start that drive at 10 o'clock our time. Get out of LA a bit and sleep then do a half day for your 1st day at Mammoth. It doesn't really start getting good until noon anyways.post #36 of 414/20/16 at 3:56pmQuote = agreen:It doesn't really start getting good until noon anyways.
This is only true on a cool/cloudy/unsettled spring day, but on a warm one you want to be on the hill by 9AM minimum. On a hot day the lower runs will be sticky before noon. Average spring conditions are best low and partial east facing from before 9AM to maybe 10:30. Upper runs with partial east exposure like Cornice/Climax will still soften by mid-morning. The Wipe Out side of chair 23 (steep and partial NW) is last to soften, so it's the best place to be post noon on the warmer days.
The problem is that there is not much in the way of lodging between Mojave and Lone Pine. My vote remains for at least Lone Pine.post #37 of 414/20/16 at 4:23pmThread StarterI booked a place in lone pine which will get me in a little late but should be ok.
Any tips on discount lift tickets. Window rate is 100. I'm thinking of getting a costco 4-pac for 300 and then trying to sell the extra ticket.post #38 of 414/20/16 at 4:45pmQuote:
Maybe a MVP holder will chime in with an offer to turn you on to friends/family tickets. If not, drop me a PM and I will see if a friend of mine with a pass can help. He helped me with tickets for my nephew and his girlfriend a couple of weeks ago and should have three left. As to the Costco vouchers, some folks sold three standing in the ticket line behind me at Main Lodge this past Saturday. Maybe the Costco vouchers don't have the same proscription against resale as normal lift tickets, but I still thought it was a little cheeky.post #39 of 414/21/16 at 9:24pmQuote:Maybe a MVP holder will chime in with an offer to turn you on to friends/family tickets.
I have the MVP and sent nathnvg a PM requesting info to get him Bring-a-Friend tickets.post #40 of 414/21/16 at 10:11pmpost #41 of 414/29/16 at 6:07pmThread Starter
Thanks for the tips everyone. Skiing Mammoth in late spring is worth it. Staying near lone pine was a good suggestion and thanks again Tony for the discount tixs. Full trip report at:
- Mammoth Mid May Worth It?
- Mammoth Mountain, Eastern Sierra, CA
- › Winter tires - which model to choose ? 3 minutes ago
- › POLL: The Future of Politics and Hot Topics 3 hours, 9 minutes ago
- › Scariest run you've ever done ? 3 hours, 35 minutes ago
- › The Narrower Stance? 3 hours, 45 minutes ago
- › Colorado Dec 16-23.. Time to change plans ?? 4 hours, 20 minutes ago
- › Ski boots for wide feet, Tecnica Ten.2 100HVL 16/17 or something... 5 hours ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 5 hours, 48 minutes ago
- › Am I nuts to book airfare to Zermatt (Zurich) now for mid-January... 5 hours, 55 minutes ago
- › FS Quiver Purge 6 hours, 44 minutes ago
- › Most Aggressive Race Tune you ever skied? 7 hours ago
- › Kirkwood Mountain Resort by Debbie Burke
- › Mont Sainte Marie by Charles J White
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by aarrkk
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › The Ins and Outs of Proper Layering
- › 2017 Smith ChromaPop - It's Basically...
- › EpicSki Interview with Jess McMillan
- › Epic Ski Image of the Month Contest Terms and...
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis