or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Telluride vs. Steamboat March 19-28?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Telluride vs. Steamboat March 19-28?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Could someone with more experience with spring conditions than I suggest which of these two resorts would likely have better conditions during this dates? Although Telluride usually shines in the spring, while Steamboat is usually better early in the season, this season has been a little funny. Telluride had tons of snow in December/January but has had about 6 inches in the past 5-6 weeks and no real snow is predicted over the next couple weeks. Steamboat, which is lower altitude and more southern facing, has had more recent snow and there's a reasonable amount predicted for the next week. I like the beauty of Telluride more, but I'm afraid of showing up in Telluride, like I did last season, in mid-March, only to find several hours of ice, a brief window of good snow, then slush.

 

I really appreciate your help!

-David

post #2 of 13

Both choices are unattractive next week for the reasons stated by the OP.  If he's still deciding, he should go somewhere else.  Maybe Aspen/Snowmass? Some recent snow but much better altitude/exposure than Steamboat.

post #3 of 13

what about the week after? 27th-31stish

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post
 

Both choices are unattractive next week for the reasons stated by the OP.  If he's still deciding, he should go somewhere else.  Maybe Aspen/Snowmass? Some recent snow but much better altitude/exposure than Steamboat.

post #4 of 13

For Steamboat you may also want to make sure about lodging.  US Freestyle Championship and the Nastar Championship are in Steamboat during the dates listed.  May affect your options.

post #5 of 13
Quote:
what about the week after? 27th-31stish

That doesn't change anything the OP posted.  Steamboat in spring will have instant spring conditions as soon as the sun comes out with predominant SW exposure.

 

Telluride has the high altitude and north exposure you want, but it's going to be firm after 6 dry weeks unless the weather changes. Same for Taos.   We were planning to go to Taos/Telluride ourselves before they close April 3, but not anymore.

 

So you need the altitude exposure but also want some degree of refreshing the snowpack.   Mammoth, Bachelor, Whistler, Banff, Cottonwood Canyons, much of I-70 Colorado, many reasonable options for the next few weeks.

post #6 of 13

I was at Copper Mountain and Loveland last week.  Conditions are really good there.  I will be in Aspen first week of April, where the beer flows like wine.  And Snowmass in April is like having your own private ski area.  Priceless, for real.

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post
 

That doesn't change anything the OP posted.  Steamboat in spring will have instant spring conditions as soon as the sun comes out with predominant SW exposure.

 

Telluride has the high altitude and north exposure you want, but it's going to be firm after 6 dry weeks unless the weather changes. Same for Taos.   We were planning to go to Taos/Telluride ourselves before they close April 3, but not anymore.

 

So you need the altitude exposure but also want some degree of refreshing the snowpack.   Mammoth, Bachelor, Whistler, Banff, Cottonwood Canyons, much of I-70 Colorado, many reasonable options for the next few weeks.

 

Thanks.

 

Only option for me is CO and that week. Talked to the wife, big thing for her was day trips to national parks near telluride. So we compromised - first stop will be mesa / canyons/ arches, and then we'll head back along i70.

 

 

Since you've given up on Telluride, any ideas as to where you are heading off too?


Edited by opfreak - 3/20/16 at 7:32am
post #8 of 13

The remainder of my skiing this season will be Mammoth, Tahoe or Alta/Snowbird.   Mammoth's season will last to early June.   I hope to time a storm cycle for Utah before lift/terrain gets limited after mid-April.  From late April onwards in a normal season there's little reason for me to ski anywhere but Mammoth.

 

The last two Sierra seasons were so bad I took my May trips elsewhere, Bachelor in 2014 and Colorado last year, in both cases getting powder rather than spring snow.

 

We would probably have done those national parks too. Arches/Canyonlands is closer to Aspen than it it to Telluride.  I drove home via those places from the Colorado Gathering in 2011.

 

Mesa Verde is much farther our of the way.  I have not been there, but the largest cliff dwelling is only open seasonally.   I would recommend Arches/Canyonlands/Aspen for your trip.


Edited by Tony Crocker - 3/20/16 at 2:42pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post
 

The remainder of my skiing this season will be Mammoth, Tahoe or Alta/Snowbird.   Mammoth's season will last to early June.   I hope to time a storm cycle for Utah before lift/terrain gets limited after mid-April.  From late April onwards in a normal season there's little reason for me to ski anywhere but Mammoth.

 

The last two Sierra seasons were so bad I took my May trips elsewhere, Bachelor in 2014 and Colorado last year, in both cases getting powder rather than spring snow.

 

We would probably have done those national parks too. Arches/Canyonlands is closer to Aspen than it it to Telluride.  I drove home via those places from the Colorado Gathering in 2011.

 

Mesa Verde is much farther our of the way.  I have not been there, but the largest cliff dwelling is only open seasonally.   I would recommend Arches/Canyonlands/Aspen for your trip.


Thanks for your help. We enjoy driving and have a 10 days to do a round trip, since we are coming from the east, we will probably head towards Mesa first, then swing up to arches/canyons, and hit something up on the way back, I'll just pay attention to where the snow is that week and head there ​

post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 

Thank you for all your responses. It was especially fun to hear Tony Crocker weigh in, because I have learned so much about snowfall from the tables, charts and statistical discussions on his website. We ended up coming to Steamboat over Telluride for some non-ski reasons (cousins in town, etc). It's been lovely here but was hot this afternoon, and I expect it to be icy in the morning, though a lot more snow and cold weather is on the way.. We are not skilled enough or discerning enough skiers to mind the soft snow in the afternoons.

 

The second half of this season was a sobering confirmation of Tony's and Joel Gratz's and other snow experts' assertion of how variable and modest the effects of El Nino are on many areas. The deep Southwest, which in popular lore gets so much snow during El Nino seasons, has had a really dry second half of the season. We have uncancellable reservations in Taos next week and will have to make do.

 

Regarding opfreak's travel plans: when we were planning to go to Telluride, we were also going to go to Mesa Verde, though we discovered, as Tony pointed out, that the most spectacular cave dwelling would be closed. Last spring, we skied in Telluride one morning and then after lunch drove to Moab. That's a beautiful drive and a beautiful transition. A very fun place to stay, if you like "glamping," is moabundercanvas.com, though ironically it is more expensive than many hotels.

 

Thank you, everyone!

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSkis View Post
 

Thank you for all your responses. It was especially fun to hear Tony Crocker weigh in, because I have learned so much about snowfall from the tables, charts and statistical discussions on his website. We ended up coming to Steamboat over Telluride for some non-ski reasons (cousins in town, etc). It's been lovely here but was hot this afternoon, and I expect it to be icy in the morning, though a lot more snow and cold weather is on the way.. We are not skilled enough or discerning enough skiers to mind the soft snow in the afternoons.

 

The second half of this season was a sobering confirmation of Tony's and Joel Gratz's and other snow experts' assertion of how variable and modest the effects of El Nino are on many areas. The deep Southwest, which in popular lore gets so much snow during El Nino seasons, has had a really dry second half of the season. We have uncancellable reservations in Taos next week and will have to make do.

 

Regarding opfreak's travel plans: when we were planning to go to Telluride, we were also going to go to Mesa Verde, though we discovered, as Tony pointed out, that the most spectacular cave dwelling would be closed. Last spring, we skied in Telluride one morning and then after lunch drove to Moab. That's a beautiful drive and a beautiful transition. A very fun place to stay, if you like "glamping," is moabundercanvas.com, though ironically it is more expensive than many hotels.

 

Thank you, everyone!

 

Thanks for the tips. We are still planning on stopping by Mesa, but we will make that the short stop knowing that the main attraction is closed, driving in from the east, its not that long of a detour to make the southern loop then go up towards moab.

post #12 of 13
Has the recent snow changed anyone's thoughts on telluride this week?
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by opfreak View Post

Has the recent snow changed anyone's thoughts on telluride this week?

It was skiing great Saturday and Sunday. I didn't do any of the hiking terrain, but I shared chairs with folks who reported that the Palmyra and Bald Mountain terrain, at least, was in great shape with no competition for tracks. I didn't find any slush, or any bare spots or rocks on open runs. Plus, they should be getting even more snow--should be a great time to visit!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Telluride vs. Steamboat March 19-28?