or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Kitzbuhel - Lookng for a movie...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kitzbuhel - Lookng for a movie...

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

I was told of a movie on VIMEO that was about the history of the downhill in Kitzbuhel, the name was something like Swift, anyway I can't find it. Anyone know what I might be talking about?

 Thanks

post #2 of 28
Streif. It's available on Amazon Prime. Was in the theatres this winter, so it may have been yanked from Vimeo. Oops, no:
This international one has subtitles.
post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 

That's it, thanks

post #4 of 28


Fun movie.

post #5 of 28
Thread Starter 

I would really like to get this on BluRay in the US, anyone know a source?

post #6 of 28
Make sure it's the right codex or whatever to play in the US. I ended up buying it as a download in HD, even though I wanted a disc. Possibly once it's finished its Warren Miller promotional tour, they will have it.
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzn44 View Post

I was told of a movie on VIMEO that was about the history of the downhill in Kitzbuhel, the name was something like Swift, anyway I can't find it. Anyone know what I might be talking about?
 Thanks

Streif wasn't shown as widely as you'd expect. It's the best ski movie I ever saw. Those guys are superhuman. If you can buy the disc someplace it would be worth having.
post #8 of 28

Will anyone ever match Franz Klammer's record on the Streif.

 

Three consecutive wins and four wins overall?

 

There was one year when he really went for it and courted disaster all the way down and made it to the bottom somehow. 

post #9 of 28
Cuche won 5. He holds the record (according to the flick, which I watched last evening...)
post #10 of 28
At least one of Cuche's wins was on a shortened course. Amazing feat in any case. Those guys are amazing.
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonD999 View Post

At least one of Cuche's wins was on a shortened course. .

Means nothing. They were all racing on the same course.
post #12 of 28
That's true. But the discussion was about most Streif wins. So maybe we could say Cuche has 4 plus 1 shortened Streif win and the Kaiser has 4, too
post #13 of 28
I was dissapointed by the Streif movie. They got too into production and filming and not enough into the athletes and what they think and the story of the course. That whole sequence of the guy balancing the bones was way too much, hokey, and added nothing. Really too bad. Everyone we watched it with felt similar.
The Thin Line , which has its own problems, had more interesting talk about downhill. Like Chad Fleischer on why you shouldn't pre jump the last jump on the Streif. Bode on finishing the Lauberhorn and having tunnel vision near the bottom section from blood loss to the brain.
post #14 of 28
Can't find this The Thin Line. Who released it? Have found red lines, blue lines, pink lines, etc.,
post #15 of 28
"The Thin Line" Jalbert Productions Great footage of WC DH with commentary by some of great DH Racers.
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

I was dissapointed by the Streif movie. They got too into production and filming and not enough into the athletes and what they think and the story of the course. That whole sequence of the guy balancing the bones was way too much, hokey, and added nothing. Really too bad. Everyone we watched it with felt similar.
The Thin Line , which has its own problems, had more interesting talk about downhill. Like Chad Fleischer on why you shouldn't pre jump the last jump on the Streif. Bode on finishing the Lauberhorn and having tunnel vision near the bottom section from blood loss to the brain.

It was interesting to see everything that goes into making that race happen. I thought it was pretty well balanced with all aspects of the race. But you're right about the bones, it made no sense even being there. Just wasted film.

The Thin Line sounds good, I'll look for it.
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonD999 View Post

That's true. But the discussion was about most Streif wins. So maybe we could say Cuche has 4 plus 1 shortened Streif win and the Kaiser has 4, too[/quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonD999 View Post

That's true. But the discussion was about most Streif wins. So maybe we could say Cuche has 4 plus 1 shortened Streif win and the Kaiser has 4, too

You're not getting it. Shortened course is irrelevant to a win. Every one of those guys ran the same course.
post #18 of 28

what am I not getting?

 

Cuche won 4 full Streif Downhills (as did Klammer) plus 1 shortened Streif Downhill.  could not be more clear.

 

so Cuche and Klammer are tied for full Streif Downhill wins and Cuche has an additional shortened Streif DH win.

 

in all cases, racers ran the same course and Cuche/Klammer were victorious.

post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonD999 View Post

what am I not getting?

Cuche won 4 full Streif Downhills (as did Klammer) plus 1 shortened Streif Downhill.  could not be more clear.

so Cuche and Klammer are tied for full Streif Downhill wins and Cuche has an additional shortened Streif DH win.

in all cases, racers ran the same course and Cuche/Klammer were victorious.

That's what you're not getting. It's not "4 full plus 1 shortened....", it's 5. It's the same course, same difficulty for everyone. A guy wins that race he's by God won it. Why do think they'll shorten the course? Weather. It's not rare. Could be shortened by 100m or 300m or 1km. That course when it's snowing, as it was for Cuche's #5, is even nastier......more difficult and more dangerous than anything we could imagine. There's no such thing as a "full course" win or a "shortened" course win.
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahski View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

I was dissapointed by the Streif movie. They got too into production and filming and not enough into the athletes and what they think and the story of the course. That whole sequence of the guy balancing the bones was way too much, hokey, and added nothing. Really too bad. Everyone we watched it with felt similar.
The Thin Line , which has its own problems, had more interesting talk about downhill. Like Chad Fleischer on why you shouldn't pre jump the last jump on the Streif. Bode on finishing the Lauberhorn and having tunnel vision near the bottom section from blood loss to the brain.

It was interesting to see everything that goes into making that race happen. I thought it was pretty well balanced with all aspects of the race. But you're right about the bones, it made no sense even being there. Just wasted film.

The Thin Line sounds good, I'll look for it.
It could use a good 20 minutes of editing but it is well worth watching. I was hoping Streif would take that up a couple notches.
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

It could use a good 20 minutes of editing but it is well worth watching. I was hoping Streif would take that up a couple notches.

I'd guess they were looking to a approach it from a different direction. In "Need for Speed" there was a lot of racer perspective. Streif had a lot of nuts and bolts about what goes into putting the race together. And what those guys do to put themselves together for it. Then the race itself. Nice having our US guy narrate.
post #22 of 28
Rahlves won a shortened Streif, too. Awesome win. Totally underrated US speed skier.
post #23 of 28
Found it ironic that after the movie this year the course was not in great shape for the DH.
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Can't find this The Thin Line. Who released it? Have found red lines, blue lines, pink lines, etc.,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ms6j0GLVjfs
post #25 of 28
Streif obviously had a better production budget, but The Thin Line is much more intense and inmo interesting. It gets under your skin in a way that The Streif can't muster to do.
post #26 of 28
Loved it. I wish the link above had better resolution. Even more I wish it were for sale somewhere.
post #27 of 28

I thought it was really good... though the Klammer run at the '76 Olympics got the short shrift, given that they call it "the greatest run the sport has ever seen". Maybe they didn't have enough footage or folks to interview to flesh it out. As someone too young to have seen it, I wish they had more footage. 

post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post

I thought it was really good... though the Klammer run at the '76 Olympics got the short shrift, given that they call it "the greatest run the sport has ever seen". Maybe they didn't have enough footage or folks to interview to flesh it out. As someone too young to have seen it, I wish they had more footage. 
Well the '76 Olympics was at Innsbruck and not Kitzbuel. That run inspired people for many years. Part of it was probably the advancement in coverage by that time. It just really captured the crazyness of downhill and letting it all hang out in skiing. One thing to remember is how sketchy those courses were. They were not the obsessively groomed runs of today but could be quite rough and dangerous with poor safety. Hay bales for fencing in spots that had it. Some courses used snow walls. Ouch.

I didn't know Gifford and Beattie's audio call was taped well after the event? How is that possible, thought it was shown live. I remember watching it at night. Austria is what, 6 hours ahead? Maybe it's just the taped version we have now and not what was live?
https://youtu.be/qfYV5ZOxUSs

The race with Bob Beattie and Frank Gifford. Starts at 1:30
https://youtu.be/sYj9kIxAL_o

A view from German tv. The whole country shuts down during race. 60,000 fans on the hill.
https://youtu.be/Q46vCLkN_T8

Here's Klammer at Kitzbuel in 1984. Still just crazy. Bode is in that mold. He just wishes he had one Hanenkamm.
https://youtu.be/Lr2dFOazJ1Q

Russi, Mahre, and others discuss Klammer. 4 Hahnenkamm victories is just amazing. Olympics at 2:25
https://youtu.be/VCm0m42GJ5Q
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Kitzbuhel - Lookng for a movie...