or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Deer Valley, UT 3/7&8/2016
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Deer Valley, UT 3/7&8/2016

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Been skiing Park City area last few days.  Got to visit Deer Valley today, first time ever.

Some non-frozen precip messed up lower mtn a bit, but up around Empire things were quite nice as the higher elevations got about 6-8" new snow late on the 6th..

Vince looking at Daly Chutes area on 3/7/16.

Vince skiing Daly chutes area

 

 

 

 

there's a bratwurst under there somewhere.

 

God's country:

 

 

 

Look who we found for apres ski!!!  Rusty, Vince and yours truly.

PS:  for those who don't know, Rusty is head moderator here at EpicSki and also a PSIA Level III instructor at Deer Valley.  He's a very busy guy this winter, but could be a great instructor/guide for anyone visiting DV if you do a bit of advance coordination with him or the DV ski school.

post #2 of 11
Thread Starter 

Here is some video of VinceK skiing on some of the groomers and seeded bump runs at Deer Valley on 3/8/16:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTNd7hLD85U

 

We are heading to Snowbird next, but not until the weekend;  3/12-14

 

 

Mod note: embedded video

post #3 of 11

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesj View Post
 

 

We are heading to Snowbird next, but not until the weekend;  3/12-14

I'll be there all weekend, give me a shout if you see me!

post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 

We may look you up Bob when we know our schedule for sure.  Snowbird tends to expose my lack of skills and fitness, but it would be fun to at least make a few turns with you.  Vince on the other hand has pretty much a bottomless gas tank as you would expect from a 25 year old.:D

post #5 of 11

BTW - the one seeded bump run is leased out to the US ski team all winter. (and used for a couple of competitions).

post #6 of 11

Looks great, James.  Superb pictures as always.  I don't think I'm going to burn my MCP freebies at AltaBird until April, but BobMc is a fine Snowbird host.

post #7 of 11

cool pics Thumbs Up,  we hit DV for the first time this year and hit the daly chutes as well. really fun area!  cornice looks alot gnarlier in person. 

post #8 of 11

Deer Valley is a great resort. Very good fall lines all over the mountain. Good steeps off Lady Morgan Express Chair.

I like Park City Resort, but Deer Valley is a notch better. Grooming is #1, Food is #1........the terrain is excellent.

post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDog View Post
 

Looks great, James.  Superb pictures as always.  I don't think I'm going to burn my MCP freebies at AltaBird until April, but BobMc is a fine Snowbird host.

I will be back at Snowbird between Mar 31 and Apr 5.  JohnL was talking about coming out then with some of his buddies, but I'll have to update their status.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunValleySteve View Post
 

Deer Valley is a great resort. Very good fall lines all over the mountain. Good steeps off Lady Morgan Express Chair.

I like Park City Resort, but Deer Valley is a notch better. Grooming is #1, Food is #1........the terrain is excellent.

One of my fav runs at DV was straight back under the Lady Morgan Chair.  The snow turned soft and nice in that area on Tuesday afternoon.

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesj View Post
 

Been skiing Park City area last few days.  Got to visit Deer Valley today, first time ever.

Some non-frozen precip messed up lower mtn a bit, but up around Empire things were quite nice as the higher elevations got about 6-8" new snow late on the 6th..

Vince looking at Daly Chutes area on 3/7/16.

Vince skiing Daly chutes area

 

 

 

 

there's a bratwurst under there somewhere.

 

God's country:

 

 

 

Look who we found for apres ski!!!  Rusty, Vince and yours truly.

PS:  for those who don't know, Rusty is head moderator here at EpicSki and also a PSIA Level III instructor at Deer Valley.  He's a very busy guy this winter, but could be a great instructor/guide for anyone visiting DV if you do a bit of advance coordination with him or the DV ski school.

I know at least 2 of you guys..... glad everyone is having fun out there... I may be joining you in a couple of years

post #11 of 11

Nice report. And very nice images of the Daly Bowl are. I skied that for the first time about five years ago in conditions that did not look as yummy as what you got (no fresh). When people think of DV, they do not associate that groomer heaven with big time steep skiing. But the Daly area provided more than a bit of flutter for me. Saw more than a few folks lose it at the top and snowball to the bottom. Indeed, I found the most challenging part to be the funnel at the bottom - though it looks a bit wider than it did when I skied it. Perhaps that was due to snow cover. 
Well done

D1

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Deer Valley, UT 3/7&8/2016