or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Lodging at Taos Ski Valley: Rio Hondo or Snakedance?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lodging at Taos Ski Valley: Rio Hondo or Snakedance?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

Looking for a nice condo for the family in a good spot.  Anyone been to either (or both) of these?

post #2 of 22
Liked Snakedance, convenient, but that was two years ago, before the base area was reconfigured. Might be different today.
post #3 of 22

Snakedance is a great place, and their restaurant/bar has good food. I was there a few weeks ago. There is construction of a new hotel right next to Snakedance going on right now, but it never caused any noise issues while at night while sleeping ( construction stopped at night ). Speaking of noise, the Snakedance, at least the condo I was in, had very good noise proofing in general. You can't beat the proximity to the lift either.

post #4 of 22
I just took a few photos of some of the options. I will post when I have WiFi.
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 

Thanks guys for the advice!  One other thing worth mentioning is that my 7-year old daughter is a never ever...so access to the ski school and learning lifts would definitely be a bonus.

post #6 of 22
The St Bernard hotel (st b condos are nowhere near hotel) and Snakedance taken from Base cafeteria patio.
post #7 of 22
Edelweiss is more or less behind Snakedance. Children's center is beyond that.
post #8 of 22
Sierra Del Sol in foreground and Twinning Condos in background. They are the brown building, about a 3 minute walk.

Photo taken from ticket windows.
Edited by mdf - 3/6/16 at 3:43pm
post #9 of 22
Powderhorn and the other side of Sierra Del Sol.
post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 

Now there's some solid on-site reporting!  Thanks @mdf!

post #11 of 22

A friend who skis Massanutten spent a week at Snakedance earlier this season.  She seemed happy with it.

post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofcaudio View Post
 

Thanks guys for the advice!  One other thing worth mentioning is that my 7-year old daughter is a never ever...so access to the ski school and learning lifts would definitely be a bonus.

 

I have never stay on hill lodging at Taos so I'm of no help there.

 

The children ski school is separate from the base area. It's at the bottom of the Rueggli lift. It's quite a distant from the base area lodging.

When my son was in the children's ski school, we usually drop him off by car early. The children ski school have a separate small parking lot for parents to park their car while dropping off the kids. You can also utilize the parking lot shuttle for the same purpose. 

post #13 of 22

@mdf : Very helpful pics!  Where did you stay?  Did you rent a car?  I'm working on a plan for my crew for mid-season 2017.

post #14 of 22
I was in a VRBO studio in the Twinning condos. The ground floor is studios, and floors 2 and 3 are the bigger condos (which I have not been in). One drawback is there is just one parking space per unit, even for the bigger ones. THere is a sign about a pay lot for extra cars. I did rent a car -- got a great rate from Avis with my work code.

I really liked it. It would be a bit far for kids, but it is a short, nearly level walk to the ticket windows. Maybe 3 minutes.

I rented a car, but I think car-less might work. The "Chile Line" from town is free -- Mrs. KingGrump used it to go back and forth from the automobile repair shop. Google shows a cheap shuttle from ABQ airport to Taos, $67 if I remember correctly.

Another option might be KingGrump's place, which is actually his wife's sister's place. They rent it out when family is not staying there. PM him for details -- I have no idea what the price is. Just don't try to burn real logs in the video fireplace (inside joke).
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post

I was in a VRBO studio in the Twinning condos. The ground floor is studios, and floors 2 and 3 are the bigger condos (which I have not been in). One drawback is there is just one parking space per unit, even for the bigger ones. THere is a sign about a pay lot for extra cars. I did rent a car -- got a great rate from Avis with my work code.

I really liked it. It would be a bit far for kids, but it is a short, nearly level walk to the ticket windows. Maybe 3 minutes.

I rented a car, but I think car-less might work. The "Chile Line" from town is free -- Mrs. KingGrump used it to go back and forth from the automobile repair shop. Google shows a cheap shuttle from ABQ airport to Taos, $67 if I remember correctly.

Another option might be KingGrump's place, which is actually his wife's sister's place. They rent it out when family is not staying there. PM him for details -- I have no idea what the price is. Just don't try to burn real logs in the video fireplace (inside joke).


Thanks.  Since Bill lives in Albuquerque, that means at least he would bring a car.  My crew won't include any kids.  I'll certainly check with KingGrump once I have a better idea of the most likely scenarios.  On the one hand, staying at the house could be fun.  But on the other, going when the Grumps are there and we could ski with them . . . might be more fun. :) 

post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


Thanks.  Since Bill lives in Albuquerque, that means at least he would bring a car.  My crew won't include any kids.  I'll certainly check with KingGrump once I have a better idea of the most likely scenarios.  On the one hand, staying at the house could be fun.  But on the other, going when the Grumps are there and we could ski with them . . . might be more fun. :) 

Yes.  As counter-intuitive as it may seem, spending time with the Grumps=more fun.

post #17 of 22

I've stayed in one of the Rio Hondo condos and it was nice,spacious, and quiet. Just a short walk out to the children's ski school. Further away from the main base, but easy to get there with the Ruegeli beginner chair.  May be best at the moment since Snakedance is right next to the new hotel construction site:eek

 

post #18 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullOfTheWoods View Post
 

I've stayed in one of the Rio Hondo condos and it was nice,spacious, and quiet. Just a short walk out to the children's ski school. Further away from the main base, but easy to get there with the Ruegeli beginner chair.  May be best at the moment since Snakedance is right next to the new hotel construction site:eek

 

 

Exactly the type of info I was looking for!  Thanks!  Rio Hondo might indeed be ideal for the family.

post #19 of 22

Snakedance Positives: I have stayed at Snakedance many times over the years and it is very convenient. I recently stayed there in late February. Snakedance is 20 yards from Lift #1.  Snakedance has a very convenient Ski Chalet Service that is free of charge - From the lift walk 20 yards to rear of Snakedance and enter the ski chalet door and hand your ski and boots to attendant and walk to your room in your shoes - this feature is a super feature for adults and children both.  As mentioned, decent onsite restaurant, full kitchens in spacious well kept rooms, and also a store onsite that has a good beer/wine/liquor selection as well as most all basics if you forgot something.   Also, the breakfast burrito bar inside the store makes for a very tasty and quick breakfast.

 

Current Snakedance Negative:  The new Hotel Blake is being constructed 70 feet away from the front face (valley facing front) of Snakedance.  The construction crews begin at 6;45 am and it is impossible to sleep through this noise.  Hint:  Book a room at the rear of Snakedance (mountain facing room) and the construction shouldnt be an issue.  

 

Here is a pic of the Snakedance Ski Chalet room with Lift #1 in background for reference:

 


Edited by We Ski TSV - 3/9/16 at 8:19am
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpfreaq View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


Thanks.  Since Bill lives in Albuquerque, that means at least he would bring a car.  My crew won't include any kids.  I'll certainly check with KingGrump once I have a better idea of the most likely scenarios.  On the one hand, staying at the house could be fun.  But on the other, going when the Grumps are there and we could ski with them . . . might be more fun. :) 

Yes.  As counter-intuitive as it may seem, spending time with the Grumps=more fun.


Yep . . . there are plenty of houses for rent.  The KingGrump family is unique.  I know skiing with them on their home territory would be a lot of fun. :D

post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpfreaq View Post
 
Yes.  As counter-intuitive as it may seem, spending time with the Grumps=more fun.

 

 

Counter-intuitive?

 

Sort of like wait for the numbness to set in then the pain ain't so bad. :D

post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGrump View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpfreaq View Post
 
Yes.  As counter-intuitive as it may seem, spending time with the Grumps=more fun.

 

 

Counter-intuitive?

 

Sort of like wait for the numbness to set in then the pain ain't so bad. :D

Yeah, much like that but without quite as much risk of permanent damage =)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Lodging at Taos Ski Valley: Rio Hondo or Snakedance?