or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Husky guy planning on hitting the slopes again [heading to Ogden]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Husky guy planning on hitting the slopes again [heading to Ogden]

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

First of all I will admit that I am fat (Husky on the Iglesias scale) I used to weigh 400lbs and I am down to 350, and still dropping (slowly) I used to have a desk job and my wight shot up if anyone is asking, and my new job has me doing a lot of walking (I walk no less than 4 miles a day) and I am pushing myself to go harder every day.

 

One of the things that I have been doing that have helped me loose the weight, I would go sailing on my off time around where I live or take short trips to nearby cities, or occasionally the Bahamas. Solo sailing is a workout on its own, and it have been helping, plus the walking. With this new job, I will be land locked for a few months, and since I will be taking classes in Fall, it will be a couple of years before I head back to Florida, sailing won't be an option for me (not unless I get a call to crew).

 

My current employers is sending me to Ogden, UT and I realized how close to some ski resorts i am. I am have been heavily thinking of skiing again, since I used to ski when I was younger. I started when I was 6 years old, and done it every year until I was 14. I was able to tackle the blue's and some blacks, but that was some time ago, now 16 years later I do not know where to begin.

 

As for general skiing, the one question that I have is where should I begin? (I am already working on the weight loss, but I can move for a big dude)

 

As for equipment, I am thinking of renting the ski's for now, but I do want to buy my own boots (one advice I was given when I was younger) but what should I look into?

 

Like I said about ski's, but if there is a deal, I am willing to go ahead and purchase a set too, but I am not sure which brands to look into and what size.

 

I am 6'1 at 350 if that helps.

 

I know that I am coming in late in the season, but I also do not mind hitting the sales. I do know that once I am finished in UT, I might end up in either Washington State, or Las Vegas (depending on my grants) so I know I will be near some slopes.

 

Moderator Note: moved to Ski Gear

post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxima View Post
 

First of all I will admit that I am fat (Husky on the Iglesias scale) I used to weigh 400lbs and I am down to 350, and still dropping (slowly) I used to have a desk job and my wight shot up if anyone is asking, and my new job has me doing a lot of walking (I walk no less than 4 miles a day) and I am pushing myself to go harder every day.

 

One of the things that I have been doing that have helped me loose the weight, I would go sailing on my off time around where I live or take short trips to nearby cities, or occasionally the Bahamas. Solo sailing is a workout on its own, and it have been helping, plus the walking. With this new job, I will be land locked for a few months, and since I will be taking classes in Fall, it will be a couple of years before I head back to Florida, sailing won't be an option for me (not unless I get a call to crew).

 

My current employers is sending me to Ogden, UT and I realized how close to some ski resorts i am. I am have been heavily thinking of skiing again, since I used to ski when I was younger. I started when I was 6 years old, and done it every year until I was 14. I was able to tackle the blue's and some blacks, but that was some time ago, now 16 years later I do not know where to begin.

 

As for general skiing, the one question that I have is where should I begin? (I am already working on the weight loss, but I can move for a big dude)

 

As for equipment, I am thinking of renting the ski's for now, but I do want to buy my own boots (one advice I was given when I was younger) but what should I look into?

 

Like I said about ski's, but if there is a deal, I am willing to go ahead and purchase a set too, but I am not sure which brands to look into and what size.

 

I am 6'1 at 350 if that helps.

 

I know that I am coming in late in the season, but I also do not mind hitting the sales. I do know that once I am finished in UT, I might end up in either Washington State, or Las Vegas (depending on my grants) so I know I will be near some slopes.

 

Moderator Note: moved to Ski Gear


Welcome to EpicSki!  You are certainly correct that there are some pretty good ski areas around Ogden.  Are you already there?  Do a search on a shop called Second Tracks.  It's a consignment shop and also has new stuff.  The people who work there can help you out I think.

 

Take a look at the EpicSki Articles under First Run about buying gear for the first time.  Click on Articles on the menu bar.  You are correct that getting properly fitted boots is important.  You are clearly in the Clydesdale category and a good boot fitter will take that into account.

post #3 of 9

Yep, boots are the most important part. Someone here will be able to give you the name of a great boot fitter around Ogden. Don't just go buy boots anywhere.

 

That shop may be able to give you a run down on skis you might want to demo from them and take lessons on. Lots have changed since you last skied.

 

The new movement pattern is easier then in the past. Take a lesson your first day back on skis.

post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 

Thanks guys, that was one advice I was given when I was younger was a good boot is the most important thing so I would not mind dropping some cash on some boots. I have not left for Ogden yet, I will be leaving on the 12th. I am currently in Chattanooga working a job, and that job will take me to Ogden. I will traveling in my RV, so that is going to be an experience on its own.

post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxima View Post
 

Thanks guys, that was one advice I was given when I was younger was a good boot is the most important thing so I would not mind dropping some cash on some boots. I have not left for Ogden yet, I will be leaving on the 12th. I am currently in Chattanooga working a job, and that job will take me to Ogden. I will traveling in my RV, so that is going to be an experience on its own.


Ah, driving from TN.  That reminded me of someone who drove out from TN to Alaska for a new job.  You might pick up some ideas from the answers she got that I put into this Beginner Zone thread:

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/143035/questions-from-a-beginner-from-tn-going-to-co-a-beginner-zone-thread

 

She also got info about where to go shopping in Colorado along the way.

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/143449/discount-thrift-store-shopping-help

post #6 of 9
In Ogden try Jeff Montague of Alpine Sports for boots. They are likely to be at a good price this time of year if they have your size.
post #7 of 9

Hey Proxima,

I'm similar in size to you (perhaps a bit heavier 6'6" 400), This is my second season skiing (i'm 39), and I fully am in love. The guys who sold me my first skis put me in something really stiff (Rossignol Pursuit 16 Ti in a 174), which has been great for leaning proper form and such, but was definitely a ski targeted at hardpack and eastcoast hardpack (ice). I just picked up some Fischer Ranger 90ti in a 186 and though i've only skied them once so far, they are night and day more confidence inspiring, and more fun to ski. For boots (i've got a pretty wide foot somewhere between a 13.5 and a 15 depending on the day) they set me up with Salomon impact CS 100, i know they don't make that boot anymore, but the Bake-able shells and liners on the salomons have been working out great for me, but i would second and third the comments suggesting a good bootfitter. Good luck man, Skiing has been fantastic for me fitness and mentality wise! I hope it brings you the same.

-Mike

post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 

Thanks Mike! I am still researching, but right now I am focused on trip planning to take my RV and Jeep to Utah (Possible stop in Vegas for St. Patty's day, and to take care of some stuff at UNLV) Since I got names and locations when I arrive, that will be one of the first things that I will do is to get my ski gear set up, then I will focus on skiing (plan on taking lessons too, but might wait until next year)

post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxima View Post
 

Thanks Mike! I am still researching, but right now I am focused on trip planning to take my RV and Jeep to Utah (Possible stop in Vegas for St. Patty's day, and to take care of some stuff at UNLV) Since I got names and locations when I arrive, that will be one of the first things that I will do is to get my ski gear set up, then I will focus on skiing (plan on taking lessons too, but might wait until next year)

Late season can be a good time to take a few group lessons.  Warmer and less crowded.  Might even be late season lift ticket rates.  Can also help you decide where to get a season pass next season.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Husky guy planning on hitting the slopes again [heading to Ogden]