I haven't been to Taos Ski Valley for a few weeks, can anyone tell me how the snow conditions are?
- brandTaostagged by marznc, 2/25/16
Related Forum Threads
- Input needed: Taos ski trip Dec. 22 - 26th (?) Last post on 11/20/16 at 5:31pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Taos Ski Valley 2016-2017 Ski, Stoke, Weather Last post on 12/2/16 at 2:33pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Highly recommend Taos Super Ski Week! Last post on 3/14/16 at 7:14pm in Ski Instruction & Coaching
- Lodging at Taos Ski Valley: Rio Hondo or Snakedance? Last post on 3/8/16 at 6:26pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Taos - March 2016 Last post on 3/8/16 at 7:38pm in Trip Reports
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- About Those German Trail Names at TaosLast edited: 7/12/14
- Taos Grades High in GeographyLast edited: 10/1/14
For any east coast skiers this is like Mad River Glen with wider slopes and big drops to jump off of along with skiing between the trees. Just an all out amazing ski area. Simple and great...
I really love this place, it doesn't have the crowds that the other places around Ottawa have, but this is a legit ski place and is one of those hidden gems that hardcore ski guys/gals love. They...
Good for high volumn, pronated feet, i.e: This is the anti-matter Lange XLR/Banshe/Comp but still very good for people with wider, flatter, lower arched feet who needed or wanted a stiffer boot....
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Taos Ski Valley snow conditions?post #2 of 72/25/16 at 3:20pmpost #3 of 72/25/16 at 3:54pm
I didn't get out yesterday but Monday was mostly re-freeze, Tuesday the hill was a combo of fresh styrofoam and re-freeze and today.... well a miracle must have occurred as that refrozen treachery transformed into chalky goodness.
I did a few laps off of Kachina lift, a few groomer zoomers and a few of the front side steeps. Not saying it's all soft and wonderful but the skiing was good. Monday SLs would have been my choice if I had them with me. Today I was very happy on The Ski, softish all mountain boards.post #4 of 72/25/16 at 3:56pmpost #5 of 72/25/16 at 6:16pmpost #6 of 72/26/16 at 5:14ampost #7 of 73/9/16 at 4:14pmQuote:
So a follow-up. I used the Coomba's most of the trip. I never felt it was icy enough to need them. (A few exposures were "Eastern firm" at the wrong times of day, but that was about it.) The last day, I figured I ought to give the slaloms a chance anyway.
There were advantages and disadvantages. Groomers were a lot more fun, and very short turns in the trees were easier. On the other hand, the slaloms were a lot less forgiving of fore-aft errors. I made two backward errors (the same one twice) and one foreward error.
When I got a bit back, the slalom tails grab hold and sending you in a straight line. Fortunately I had room to recover.
One time on a bit of a ledge in steep trees, I wanted to come around very quickly. So I dove down and aimed for my gap. Unfortunately I buried one tip and heel ejected. All ended well -- I was able to jerk the other ski forward and keep it under me. I ended up with that ski wedged against the uphill side of a small tree right next to my foot. The ski I lost was right next to my shoulder, so I picked it up and put it on. Whew! Disaster averted.
Also, there is no way I am going to hike with the slaloms. They weigh twice what the Coomba's do.
In general, I still prefer the Coombas, but I see why some people use slaloms all the time.
- Taos Ski Valley snow conditions?
- About Those German Trail Names at Taos
- › 2016/17 PNW thread: news, weather, anecdotes, history, gossip and... 1 minute ago
- › Bode News 25 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 55 minutes ago
- › Epic Discussion Starter 58 minutes ago
- › The Narrower Stance? 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, MD,... 1 hour, 19 minutes ago
- › Car Camping - Drying Gear (without power outlets) 1 hour, 27 minutes ago
- › Japan Jan. 2017 - Looking for some planning advice/help! 3 hours, 11 minutes ago
- › Crasche Hat Product Review 3 hours, 34 minutes ago
- › Deciding between staying in Alta or Park City area - Family Trip 3 hours, 59 minutes ago
- › Kirkwood Mountain Resort by Debbie Burke
- › Mont Sainte Marie by Charles J White
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by aarrkk
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › The Ins and Outs of Proper Layering
- › 2017 Smith ChromaPop - It's Basically...
- › EpicSki Interview with Jess McMillan
- › Epic Ski Image of the Month Contest Terms and...
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis