I haven't been to Taos Ski Valley for a few weeks, can anyone tell me how the snow conditions are?
- brandTaostagged by marznc, 2/25/16
Related Forum Threads
- Taos Ski Club Trip Need To Change Dates? Last post on 4/25/17 at 1:03pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- JH Steep and Deep vs Alta Powder Tracks vs. ? Last post on 2/20/17 at 7:10am in General Skiing Discussion
- Input needed: Taos ski trip Dec. 22 - 26th (?) Last post on 11/20/16 at 5:31pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Taos Ski Valley 2016-2017 Ski, Stoke, Weather Last post on 4/27/17 at 9:39am in General Skiing Discussion
- Highly recommend Taos Super Ski Week! Last post on 3/14/16 at 7:14pm in Ski Instruction & Coaching
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- About Those German Trail Names at TaosLast edited: 7/12/14
- Taos Grades High in GeographyLast edited: 10/1/14
Great fitting liner and good performance. Lace up tongue give solid all around fit and with the power strap keep shin in contact with the tongue. The spot kit would help with tweaking those spots...
Great day use area for the Springfield /Eugene crowd. At 6000ft elevation it is above most of the Oregon rain. With 1500 feet of drop off a high speed six pack it is a real ski area. No Lodging No...
Why ski here? -Blue Mountain is probably the best value in Eastern Pennsylvania. It has two high-speed, top-to-bottom lifts. That means you can get a ton of skiing in. At nearby mountains like Elk...
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Taos Ski Valley snow conditions?post #2 of 72/25/16 at 3:20pmpost #3 of 72/25/16 at 3:54pm
I didn't get out yesterday but Monday was mostly re-freeze, Tuesday the hill was a combo of fresh styrofoam and re-freeze and today.... well a miracle must have occurred as that refrozen treachery transformed into chalky goodness.
I did a few laps off of Kachina lift, a few groomer zoomers and a few of the front side steeps. Not saying it's all soft and wonderful but the skiing was good. Monday SLs would have been my choice if I had them with me. Today I was very happy on The Ski, softish all mountain boards.post #4 of 72/25/16 at 3:56pmpost #5 of 72/25/16 at 6:16pmpost #6 of 72/26/16 at 5:14ampost #7 of 73/9/16 at 4:14pmQuote:
So a follow-up. I used the Coomba's most of the trip. I never felt it was icy enough to need them. (A few exposures were "Eastern firm" at the wrong times of day, but that was about it.) The last day, I figured I ought to give the slaloms a chance anyway.
There were advantages and disadvantages. Groomers were a lot more fun, and very short turns in the trees were easier. On the other hand, the slaloms were a lot less forgiving of fore-aft errors. I made two backward errors (the same one twice) and one foreward error.
When I got a bit back, the slalom tails grab hold and sending you in a straight line. Fortunately I had room to recover.
One time on a bit of a ledge in steep trees, I wanted to come around very quickly. So I dove down and aimed for my gap. Unfortunately I buried one tip and heel ejected. All ended well -- I was able to jerk the other ski forward and keep it under me. I ended up with that ski wedged against the uphill side of a small tree right next to my foot. The ski I lost was right next to my shoulder, so I picked it up and put it on. Whew! Disaster averted.
Also, there is no way I am going to hike with the slaloms. They weigh twice what the Coomba's do.
In general, I still prefer the Coombas, but I see why some people use slaloms all the time.
- Taos Ski Valley snow conditions?
- About Those German Trail Names at Taos
- › Death Bed Confessions 51 seconds ago
- › What, no hockey fans? 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › RIP Epic - Technical Help 1 hour, 54 minutes ago
- › RIP EpicSki 1999-2017 1 hour, 55 minutes ago
- › We Heard You! 2 hours, 11 minutes ago
- › Who is the ultimate thread "killer"? 8 hours, 35 minutes ago
- › FS Nordica Dobermann Spitfire Pro EDT skis, 162cm , NEW 17 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › Praxis Concept 177cm w/ Salomon STH 13 17 hours, 46 minutes ago
- › Shutdown Procedures 19 hours, 20 minutes ago
- › My final thank you, good by and farewell VIDEO @ EpicSki - please... 22 hours, 54 minutes ago
- › 2018 K2 Marksman Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review