I haven't been to Taos Ski Valley for a few weeks, can anyone tell me how the snow conditions are?
- brandTaostagged by marznc, 2/25/16
Related Forum Threads
- JH Steep and Deep vs Alta Powder Tracks vs. ? Last post on 2/20/17 at 7:10am in General Skiing Discussion
- Input needed: Taos ski trip Dec. 22 - 26th (?) Last post on 11/20/16 at 5:31pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Taos Ski Valley 2016-2017 Ski, Stoke, Weather Last post on 3/24/17 at 7:40pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Highly recommend Taos Super Ski Week! Last post on 3/14/16 at 7:14pm in Ski Instruction & Coaching
- Lodging at Taos Ski Valley: Rio Hondo or Snakedance? Last post on 3/8/16 at 6:26pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- About Those German Trail Names at TaosLast edited: 7/12/14
- Taos Grades High in GeographyLast edited: 10/1/14
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
Taos Ski Valley snow conditions?post #2 of 72/25/16 at 3:20pmpost #3 of 72/25/16 at 3:54pm
I didn't get out yesterday but Monday was mostly re-freeze, Tuesday the hill was a combo of fresh styrofoam and re-freeze and today.... well a miracle must have occurred as that refrozen treachery transformed into chalky goodness.
I did a few laps off of Kachina lift, a few groomer zoomers and a few of the front side steeps. Not saying it's all soft and wonderful but the skiing was good. Monday SLs would have been my choice if I had them with me. Today I was very happy on The Ski, softish all mountain boards.post #4 of 72/25/16 at 3:56pmpost #5 of 72/25/16 at 6:16pmpost #6 of 72/26/16 at 5:14ampost #7 of 73/9/16 at 4:14pmQuote:
So a follow-up. I used the Coomba's most of the trip. I never felt it was icy enough to need them. (A few exposures were "Eastern firm" at the wrong times of day, but that was about it.) The last day, I figured I ought to give the slaloms a chance anyway.
There were advantages and disadvantages. Groomers were a lot more fun, and very short turns in the trees were easier. On the other hand, the slaloms were a lot less forgiving of fore-aft errors. I made two backward errors (the same one twice) and one foreward error.
When I got a bit back, the slalom tails grab hold and sending you in a straight line. Fortunately I had room to recover.
One time on a bit of a ledge in steep trees, I wanted to come around very quickly. So I dove down and aimed for my gap. Unfortunately I buried one tip and heel ejected. All ended well -- I was able to jerk the other ski forward and keep it under me. I ended up with that ski wedged against the uphill side of a small tree right next to my foot. The ski I lost was right next to my shoulder, so I picked it up and put it on. Whew! Disaster averted.
Also, there is no way I am going to hike with the slaloms. They weigh twice what the Coomba's do.
In general, I still prefer the Coombas, but I see why some people use slaloms all the time.
- Taos Ski Valley snow conditions?
- About Those German Trail Names at Taos
- › FS: Dynastar Speed Omeglass SL WC with PX15 Bindings - 155 cm 3 minutes ago
- › If you don't wear a helmet, all I can ask is why? 4 minutes ago
- › Stockli Stormrider 107, 183cm 10 minutes ago
- › Powder or corn 14 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 22 minutes ago
- › MA my bump skiing 26 minutes ago
- › Mountains that offer skiing and mountain biking 31 minutes ago
- › How much wax does everyone use? 34 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Utah weather, news, and chat 58 minutes ago
- › Head Monster 88 review: 2016-2017 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview