I haven't been to Taos Ski Valley for a few weeks, can anyone tell me how the snow conditions are?
- brandTaostagged by marznc, 2/25/16
Related Forum Threads
- Taos Ski Valley 2016-2017 Ski, Stoke, Weather Last post on 10/3/16 at 6:08pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Highly recommend Taos Super Ski Week! Last post on 3/14/16 at 7:14pm in Ski Instruction & Coaching
- Lodging at Taos Ski Valley: Rio Hondo or Snakedance? Last post on 3/8/16 at 6:26pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Taos - March 2016 Last post on 3/8/16 at 7:38pm in Trip Reports
- Adult looking for no-frills, budget ski instruction Last post on 2/3/16 at 9:07pm in Ski Instruction & Coaching
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- About Those German Trail Names at TaosLast edited: 7/12/14
- Taos Grades High in GeographyLast edited: 10/1/14
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Taos Ski Valley snow conditions?post #2 of 72/25/16 at 3:20pmpost #3 of 72/25/16 at 3:54pm
I didn't get out yesterday but Monday was mostly re-freeze, Tuesday the hill was a combo of fresh styrofoam and re-freeze and today.... well a miracle must have occurred as that refrozen treachery transformed into chalky goodness.
I did a few laps off of Kachina lift, a few groomer zoomers and a few of the front side steeps. Not saying it's all soft and wonderful but the skiing was good. Monday SLs would have been my choice if I had them with me. Today I was very happy on The Ski, softish all mountain boards.post #4 of 72/25/16 at 3:56pmpost #5 of 72/25/16 at 6:16pmpost #6 of 72/26/16 at 5:14ampost #7 of 73/9/16 at 4:14pmQuote:
So a follow-up. I used the Coomba's most of the trip. I never felt it was icy enough to need them. (A few exposures were "Eastern firm" at the wrong times of day, but that was about it.) The last day, I figured I ought to give the slaloms a chance anyway.
There were advantages and disadvantages. Groomers were a lot more fun, and very short turns in the trees were easier. On the other hand, the slaloms were a lot less forgiving of fore-aft errors. I made two backward errors (the same one twice) and one foreward error.
When I got a bit back, the slalom tails grab hold and sending you in a straight line. Fortunately I had room to recover.
One time on a bit of a ledge in steep trees, I wanted to come around very quickly. So I dove down and aimed for my gap. Unfortunately I buried one tip and heel ejected. All ended well -- I was able to jerk the other ski forward and keep it under me. I ended up with that ski wedged against the uphill side of a small tree right next to my foot. The ski I lost was right next to my shoulder, so I picked it up and put it on. Whew! Disaster averted.
Also, there is no way I am going to hike with the slaloms. They weigh twice what the Coomba's do.
In general, I still prefer the Coombas, but I see why some people use slaloms all the time.
- Taos Ski Valley snow conditions?
- About Those German Trail Names at Taos
- › Basic entry level poles? 3 minutes ago
- › Achilles tear no surgery 13 minutes ago
- › What's your ski trip rig? Lets see some pictures! 15 minutes ago
- › GogglePal - anyone test this universal HUD yet? 56 minutes ago
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 1 hour, 27 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 3 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › 2015 Fischer Motive 95 180cm quick review 3 hours, 7 minutes ago
- › Atomic Redster Ski Boot Club 4 hours, 1 minute ago
- › 2016-2017 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion 5 hours, 15 minutes ago
- › Colorado Winter Driving...is AWD enough? 5 hours, 31 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer