or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Info on Atomic Automatic 117, Line Supernatural 115, or Influence 115
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Info on Atomic Automatic 117, Line Supernatural 115, or Influence 115

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 

Hello, been reading great info about gear on the site for a long time. I don't generally need help choosing skis but I'm having a hell of a time finding out what I want to know about these skis, so hoping you guys can help.

 

So Basically I am adding a 115(ish) waist ski. My first choice is Atomic Automatics in 117, I would buy some right now but it is impossible to find a 117 in my size in Canada. Nobody carries them, nobody is selling theirs. I can order a pair of the 2016's for well over $1000 from the states but it's not too appealing to go that route. My 2nd and 3rd choices are the Supernatural 115 which I can get for $500, and the Influence 115 which I can get for $350.

 

The Supernatural 115 is a ski I've been trying to find to demo for a year, but nobody carries them in BC. I know that it's basically an Influence 115 with an elastomer (sp?) side wall, and that the Influence 115 is a very loved ski. I have the Influence 105, it's my daily driver and I love it, but I sometimes wish it was more playful and I have never tried the Influence 115 since they totally changed it to be just that in '13.

 

I've seen very few reviews of the Supernatural 115/Influence115 but they have been overwhelming positive. My only concern about the Supernatural/Influence is deep powder performance. I know they can rip, but can they really be fun and surfy too? How good are they when it gets deep?  I'm also curious if the elastomer side wall actually does anything to improve the ski or can I be just as happy with the influence 115?

 

I know these skis are not ones most people have much time on, but I'm hoping someone does. Any help is most appreciated.

post #2 of 24
Thread Starter 

Also sell me your Atomatics,

 

Thanks.

post #3 of 24

I've been skiing the Automatics for a couple of years--great in powder, suprisingly good on groomed and bumps, but in the chop they get tossed around and the width puts a lot of leverage on the boot cuff--not easy to control. I'm seriously thinking of downsizing to the 109. Around here in Tahoe I don't see a lot of people skiing skis as wide as the 117, even on powder days.

post #4 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

I've been skiing the Automatics for a couple of years--great in powder, suprisingly good on groomed and bumps, but in the chop they get tossed around and the width puts a lot of leverage on the boot cuff--not easy to control. I'm seriously thinking of downsizing to the 109. Around here in Tahoe I don't see a lot of people skiing skis as wide as the 117, even on powder days.


Thanks for the input. I have ski'd Automatics @ 117 in deep pow and loved them to death, but I'm fully aware that they have limitations and am fine with that. If I could find a pair for under $1000 in my size this thread wouldn't exist. I've been curious about the 109's as well and the 108 Supernatural's as replacements for my Bacon's, but both ski's seem to have such conflicting reviews..

post #5 of 24
Have the influence 115 and the supernatural 108. Like the 108 for chop but 115 rules in pow. As surfy as I need, I prefer it to the 117 as my buddy and I were switching on an epic pow day. 117 was a great ski but too much richer for my taste.
post #6 of 24

What length do you want and you must mean $1,000 Canadian not USD?

post #7 of 24

Where do you live in BC?  I know that both UPS and Fedex have ridiculous charges for goods coming into Canada from the US.  Why not go on a weekend ski trip to the US, but the Automatics with bindings ski them and then return home.  I doubt they check your vehicle for what skis you had when you crossed the border.

post #8 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileguy1 View Post

Have the influence 115 and the supernatural 108. Like the 108 for chop but 115 rules in pow. As surfy as I need, I prefer it to the 117 as my buddy and I were switching on an epic pow day. 117 was a great ski but too much richer for my taste.


Awesome, thanks so much for the info. I know it bombs but I was skeptical about it's pow abilities and wondered if it could really be surfy. I run the Influence 105's for my daily driver and since I can't get them anymore was thinking of switching to the Influence 115 or Supernatural 115 for my day to day riding. Though the Supernatural 108 was my initial candidate before hearing so many conflicting reviews. You like the 108 better than your influence 115's in chop? That's surprising after everything I've heard about the 115.

 

Edit: Also, what do you think of the elastomer sidewalls?

post #9 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2 ski View Post
 

What length do you want and you must mean $1,000 Canadian not USD?

 

186, and yes I meant Canadian my bad.

post #10 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcyclist View Post
 

Where do you live in BC?  I know that both UPS and Fedex have ridiculous charges for goods coming into Canada from the US.  Why not go on a weekend ski trip to the US, but the Automatics with bindings ski them and then return home.  I doubt they check your vehicle for what skis you had when you crossed the border.

Yeah it's another couple hundred bucks if I order them and have them sent here in duties and shipping. I am thinking about it, but I'm hoping I can find something before it comes to that. I live near Revelstoke. Generally I buy the older model of a ski to save money, but that is not looking like it's going to happen with this one.

post #11 of 24

Can you find a Bent Chetler to demo?  It's a great powder ski.  I've skied it and one of the Automatics, can't remember which, and like the Bents a lot better.  YMMV

post #12 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcyclist View Post
 

Can you find a Bent Chetler to demo?  It's a great powder ski.  I've skied it and one of the Automatics, can't remember which, and like the Bents a lot better.  YMMV


I actually tried both the Bent Chetler and Automatic 117 on a heli trip, they had them both as rentals. The Chetler is a good ski and a great recommendation, it's just more suited for a different type of skier than me. I'm more directional, I like to slow it down and surf it up in certain situations but the main thing I liked about the 117's is I could do everything at high speed in deep powder. And if I wanted they were pretty damn good at slowing it down too. I've never been on a pow ski that could do both that well.

post #13 of 24

Well, if everyone like the same ski, life would be boring and this place probably wouldn't exist.

post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by btbam View Post


Awesome, thanks so much for the info. I know it bombs but I was skeptical about it's pow abilities and wondered if it could really be surfy. I run the Influence 105's for my daily driver and since I can't get them anymore was thinking of switching to the Influence 115 or Supernatural 115 for my day to day riding. Though the Supernatural 108 was my initial candidate before hearing so many conflicting reviews. You like the 108 better than your influence 115's in chop? That's surprising after everything I've heard about the 115.

Edit: Also, what do you think of the elastomer sidewalls?

First, just wanted to correct a typo: the automatic had too much rocker, not richer, than I prefer in the tail. I like the 117 in pow, super easy, but too much rocker for me groomers, even on a pow day. Also, almost too easy to turn in the pow, the 115 was easy enough for me. I prefer to carve powder and the 115 is more then easy enough to slash if needed. As blister said, the 115 is one of the most intuitive pow skis out there.

115 would be a pretty good daily driver for one that skis in a style or locale that would allow a 115 as a daily driver. thats not me as I live in Aspen as we don't get fresh snow weekly. Need something that holds an edge on the hard stuff. Monster 88 does that for me.

As for crud, 108 is far superior to busting right through as its much stiffer and heavier. The 115 can handle in a lighter bouncier on top style. But that's not my favorite way to ski chop, and the 108 does what I want-steamroll through it.

Although conflicting reviews, I think the 108 is great. Although I think it would be even better groomer ski for me and not loose the rest of its fine attributes if TR was shortened from 26 to 21. But that's my general preference.the tail rocker allows it to be fast enough in trees in bumps, but would prefer a bit shorter TR on groomers for an easier pure carve. Mind you, it carves and holds a good edge for a wide ski, just would prefer the fun and energy a slightly shorter radius gives me.

I have no idea about the elastomeric sidewalks and if they really matter. Only way to tell is to A/B the influence 115 and the supernatural 115. For what I use my 115 for, powder, the capwall is fine or preferable maybe.

Hope his helps
post #15 of 24
Automatic 117 on sale at Left Lane Sports, http://www.leftlanesports.com/Product.aspx?l=00011867255500000000&p=ATM01338&et=lls&sc=00011867255503070000 I don't know if they ship to Canada.
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcyclist View Post

Automatic 117 on sale at Left Lane Sports, http://www.leftlanesports.com/Product.aspx?l=00011867255500000000&p=ATM01338&et=lls&sc=00011867255503070000 I don't know if they ship to Canada.

that looks like the standard on line price. However Sierra Trading Post has the line supernatural 115 at 375 USD--might be worth it if they ship to Canada.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/line-supernatural-115-alpine-skis~p~9471u/?utm_source=GooglePLAs&utm_medium=PaidShopping&utm_term=Line_Supernatural_115_Alpine_Skis&utm_campaign=PCGOOGLES6&currency=USD&codes-processed=true

post #17 of 24
You're right, I should have checked that.
post #18 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileguy1 View Post


First, just wanted to correct a typo: the automatic had too much rocker, not richer, than I prefer in the tail. I like the 117 in pow, super easy, but too much rocker for me groomers, even on a pow day. Also, almost too easy to turn in the pow, the 115 was easy enough for me. I prefer to carve powder and the 115 is more then easy enough to slash if needed. As blister said, the 115 is one of the most intuitive pow skis out there.

115 would be a pretty good daily driver for one that skis in a style or locale that would allow a 115 as a daily driver. thats not me as I live in Aspen as we don't get fresh snow weekly. Need something that holds an edge on the hard stuff. Monster 88 does that for me.

As for crud, 108 is far superior to busting right through as its much stiffer and heavier. The 115 can handle in a lighter bouncier on top style. But that's not my favorite way to ski chop, and the 108 does what I want-steamroll through it.

Although conflicting reviews, I think the 108 is great. Although I think it would be even better groomer ski for me and not loose the rest of its fine attributes if TR was shortened from 26 to 21. But that's my general preference.the tail rocker allows it to be fast enough in trees in bumps, but would prefer a bit shorter TR on groomers for an easier pure carve. Mind you, it carves and holds a good edge for a wide ski, just would prefer the fun and energy a slightly shorter radius gives me.

I have no idea about the elastomeric sidewalks and if they really matter. Only way to tell is to A/B the influence 115 and the supernatural 115. For what I use my 115 for, powder, the capwall is fine or preferable maybe.

Hope his helps

 

Wow, thanks so much for all the info. I have had my eye on an Influence 115 for years and the Supernatural 115 since they came out, I am lucky enough to be able to use a 115 as a daily driver so you've pretty much just helped me to decide to pull the trigger on one of them. Deciding which will be my next dilemma lol.

 

You've definitely added to my curiosity of the 108 as well. It's one I'm going to have to find a demo on somehow.

post #19 of 24
Thread Starter 

I tried to give all you guys thumbs up but it would only let me do it once. I can actually get the influence 115 for $350 or the Supernatural 115 for $500 canadian and in country, it's just those pesky Automatics.

post #20 of 24

I searched on TGR and found them.  Just post up a WTB thread and see wheat guys have to sell.  http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/9-Gear-Swap-%28List-View%29

post #21 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2 ski View Post
 

I searched on TGR and found them.  Just post up a WTB thread and see wheat guys have to sell.  http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/9-Gear-Swap-%28List-View%29

 

Thanks man, the site doesn't seem to be working for me right now but I'll definitely check it out.

post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by btbam View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2 ski View Post
 

I searched on TGR and found them.  Just post up a WTB thread and see wheat guys have to sell.  http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/9-Gear-Swap-%28List-View%29

 

Thanks man, the site doesn't seem to be working for me right now but I'll definitely check it out.

not sure the rules but you might need to have a minimal number of posts on the forum before you can buy and sell. (I've never figured out why it makes any difference how many posts have, or why having a lot of posts makes you more trustworthy).

post #23 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

not sure the rules but you might need to have a minimal number of posts on the forum before you can buy and sell. (I've never figured out why it makes any difference how many posts have, or why having a lot of posts makes you more trustworthy).


I can't even get that far, when I click sign in (I do have an account though I haven't used it in forever) or sign up to create a new one I just get a white screen that says fatal error. Tried multiple browsers, no difference.

post #24 of 24
Thread Starter 

I might have a line on a pair, I'm haggling with a guy on ebay canada for a set of brand new Automatics. He's down to $750 canadian, I was hoping to find a used pair for quite a bit cheaper but if I can get him around $650 I'll pull the trigger.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Info on Atomic Automatic 117, Line Supernatural 115, or Influence 115