or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Kastle skis -- vastly overrated ! What do you think ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kastle skis -- vastly overrated ! What do you think ? - Page 11

post #301 of 352

Enter if you wish this thread to continue to metastasize...

 

post #302 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 

 

I get the feeling that around here, most people seem to buy skis on clearance, demo, or used.

 

I would think that just means that people generally think that all skis are overpriced - Kastle included. I'm not sure that it says anything about whether any particular ski is overrated.

 

This guy is right! I never bought kastle at full price but I never bought skis at full price period so this is no argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARL67 View Post
 

Bogatyr, I just don't get your zeal for this thread in trying to convince people of YOUR findings & YOUR observations, that YOU are RIGHT, and EVERYBODY else is WRONG.

 

I'm not even referring to skis, or Kastle.

Your stance goes beyond the genre of product (skis),  or brand in question (Kastle).

There are always guys like you on any hobbyist forum.  They drink too much of your their own Kool-Aid, they think they have seen the light or were touched by the hand of god, whatever, .... and as such are compelled to convert the rest of us to their own "religion".  Please get over yourself and your "right-ness".   This thread just needs to die ... it is a classic troll thread from the get-go.

You're right, I'm pulling my plug... Good night everybody! 

 

post #303 of 352
Thread Starter 
Everyone , please stop participating in this thread. Let's try to keep all the KASTLE owners, lovers and dealers in good health ! (mental in particular)
post #304 of 352

I am so glad this thread is finally finished because I will no longer be forced to read it and it will no longer rip me away from my vital responsibilities. I am sorry to have once again brought this thread to the top of the list and I appologize in advance to anyone who thinks I have no right to write and post this even though I have never skied a pair of Kastle skis. I've owned and skied a couple of pairs of Kneisle's but that doesn't count unless they were made in the Kastle factory. Fortunately I don't know where they were made. But I know this, they were made when wood was wood, not laminate, and men all pretended to be even more manly.  :)

post #305 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARL67 View Post

Bogatyr, I just don't get your zeal for this thread in trying to convince people of YOUR findings & YOUR observations, that YOU are RIGHT, and EVERYBODY else is WRONG.

I'm not even referring to skis, or Kastle.
Your stance goes beyond the genre of product (skis),  or brand in question (Kastle).
There are always guys like you on any hobbyist forum.  They drink too much of your their own Kool-Aid, they think they have seen the light or were touched by the hand of god, whatever, .... and as such are compelled to convert the rest of us to their own "religion".  Please get over yourself and your "right-ness".   This thread just needs to die ... it is a classic troll thread from the get-go.

It's been his general mode of operation since his appearance on epic regardless of the topic at hand. smile.gif
post #306 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
 

Yeah, I'm not the one that claimed insider knowledge of ski manufacturers using the same molds to make skis that are the exact same with different top sheets.  I said they aren't the same, he said you can't go by the published numbers and must examine the skis together (and shut the f**k up if you don't have the experience of building skis). I have both skis. They Are. NOT. the. SAME.  It's not an 'opinion' it is demonstrably true.

 

You said you have lots of skis that ski great after 200 ski days, you said 15 pairs. Do that math for me. 15 X 200. (3000 ski days? that's 30 100 day seasons)

 

Math, I guess, is harder than LYING on the internet.

Hi!

 

Please read again, I never said this and this model is the same. I only explained, how to find the same skis in the shop and technical problems when trying to produce different constructions in the same production line, nothing else. If you have skis in front of you and you find them different, that is fine with me. It takes trained eye to find the difference or equality. For long I am not following different graphics that are sold as different constructions. I was in this kind of cheating business, but left years ago.

Unfortunately thermal expansion is the same phenomena as it was decades ago and it will probably be the same in decades to come :-)

 

Jurij

post #307 of 352
Not that I care much, but having skied, held in hand most of the current Kastle and Head skis, there's little resemblance. Perhaps they're (Kastle) are expensive because of a huge ad budget for relatively fewer numbers of skis, and perhaps their cost per pair is higher per the cost of Head manufacturing them to Lastle specs. IMHO, the closest two skis in the lines are perhaps the M88 and the MX 88. trouble is the sidewall profile, tail, and shovels are clearly not from the same mold. The MX 98 and Monster 98? Still different skis though both are very powerful. The new FX skis couldn't be much more different than the 'flight' skis. I'd say the Head and Kastle skis other than the M88 and MX88/89 (MX98 is being discountinued) are really the only two skis that seem in direct competition for buyers ¥€$. Anyhow...argue on.
post #308 of 352

Emphasis added:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUSST SKI View Post
 

It takes trained eye to find the difference or equality. For long I am not following different graphics that are sold as different constructions. I was in this kind of cheating business, but left years ago.

 

 

 

That's just it though, what are you looking at to say they're the same?  In what respects are they the same?  The appearance of the skis (ignoring the top sheets) look quite different.

post #309 of 352
It's word salad tossing.
post #310 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogatyr View Post


Very simple - skis ! Skis compared with skis . Skis that are not dressed as automobiles or steaks - there would hardly be anything more logical then that . And I already gave un example earlier - MX 88 against the Powertrack 89. Huge price difference in favour of Kastle. Huge performance difference ?... You must be kidding me .

Fair enough but wow that comparison!? MX88 vs Powertrack 89. Really? Decent bite pretty good off piste but otherwise no comparison in power, precision, stability to an MX88. Spent 3 runs on Powertracks in France on the recommendation of our guide. Conclusion - decent intermediate/Advanced skier would be fine for playing around with the kids doing a bit of everything. Switched to a Stockli AX - night an day better experience. I personally could not imagine a season on a Powertrack as someone who has been skiing Kastle and Head Race stock skis. I'll happily pay the difference in price for what to me is a significant, noticeable difference in performance and refinement. 

post #311 of 352
Hm -- long thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCrash View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogatyr View Post

Very simple - skis ! Skis compared with skis . Skis that are not dressed as automobiles or steaks - there would hardly be anything more logical then that . And I already gave un example earlier - MX 88 against the Powertrack 89. Huge price difference in favour of Kastle. Huge performance difference ?... You must be kidding me .
Fair enough but wow that comparison!? MX88 vs Powertrack 89. Really? Decent bite pretty good off piste but otherwise no comparison in power, precision, stability to an MX88. Spent 3 runs on Powertracks in France on the recommendation of our guide. Conclusion - decent intermediate/Advanced skier would be fine for playing around with the kids doing a bit of everything. Switched to a Stockli AX - night an day better experience. I personally could not imagine a season on a Powertrack as someone who has been skiing Kastle and Head Race stock skis. I'll happily pay the difference in price for what to me is a significant, noticeable difference in performance and refinement. 

A better comparison would be an FX and the Powertrack, probably.

Chris, this is a long, exhausting thread with lots of back-and-forth on the question. It would be an edifying read, if you have the time.
post #312 of 352

I hope they're not overated. I just bought a pair of FX94's (I can only afford them now that they have been obsoleted by the FX95!) After reading about the magic of Kastles from everyone on this site, I figured I better have them.

So I hope that they will last 300 days, and elevate my skiing to level of God.

post #313 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham418 View Post
 

...and elevate my skiing to level of God.

 

That might be asking a bit much... how about demi-god? :ski

post #314 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham418 View Post
 

...and elevate my skiing to level of God.

 

That might be asking a bit much... how about demi-god? :ski


Semi-demi-god?

post #315 of 352

 Would that belevel of  Ullr?

 

No more and no less

post #316 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespapa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham418 View Post

 
...and elevate my skiing to level of God.

That might be asking a bit much... how about demi-god? ski.gif


Semi-demi-god?

Then there's the Hemi-demi-semi-gods, too.
post #317 of 352
To be a any sort of Hemi god, you have to ski in Dodge boot.
post #318 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGrump View Post

To be a any sort of Hemi god, you have to ski in Dodge boot.

I didn't realize that was a real thing! The boot brand, I mean...

post #319 of 352
Would I lead you wrong?
post #320 of 352

I'm glad I wasn't posting when this thread was active; the OP would have driven me crazy.  I really hate when someone imposes their beliefs on everyone and won't see reason.

 

Anyway, my MX88's are not overrated...for ME.  They're worth every penny I paid as I've never skied a better ski in my 46 years on this planet.  I only hope the FX94's I just added to the quiver provide a similar experience...for ME! :)

post #321 of 352

So should we rate skis on a scale of 1 to Kastle?

post #322 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
 

I only hope the FX94's I just added to the quiver provide a similar experience...for ME! :)

Hey Architect

I really hope you follow up in a few months with how the FX94s compare (for you:)) to your MX88s. 

I purchased the 94s last season. Really like them but took a bit to figure them out - and look forward to continuing the learning process this season.  Have been second guessing myself a bit regarding maybe I should have gotten the MX88s.  Would love to hear your comparison.  And thanks.

post #323 of 352
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCrash View Post
 

Fair enough but wow that comparison!? MX88 vs Powertrack 89. Really? Decent bite pretty good off piste but otherwise no comparison in power, precision, stability to an MX88. Spent 3 runs on Powertracks in France on the recommendation of our guide. Conclusion - decent intermediate/Advanced skier would be fine for playing around with the kids doing a bit of everything. Switched to a Stockli AX - night an day better experience. I personally could not imagine a season on a Powertrack as someone who has been skiing Kastle and Head Race stock skis. I'll happily pay the difference in price for what to me is a significant, noticeable difference in performance and refinement. 


Hi Chris Crash , I wouldn't say I was extremely pleased to find out that you woke up this happily sleeping thread, but since you try to compare bananas with computers, please allow me this very brief input. (and pray that no priest around this thread will  accuse me again of  trying to '' impose my beliefs '' on others  since I have absolutely no beliefs concerning ski equipment or politics) Your 3 runs on the PT 89 in France (congratulations on the destination) are anything else, but enough to give whatever opinion on this ski (believe me I know what I am talking about) and to compare them with Head Race stock ski or with Stockli AX is laughable even within this merry thread. And one more thing -- I wish you very happy skiing on your MX 88 and I like this ski (as much as I like any other ski on the market), but when you talk about '' precision and stability '' (lacking in the PT in favour of the MX as I understand you) know that this is always more the  indian then the arrow thing. If you leave the ski to give you ''precision'', '' power '' and '' stability'' and you try ski reviewing on this basis I wish very good luck to your readers.

post #324 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSkier View Post

So should we rate skis on a scale of 1 to Kastle?
Does this one go to eleven?
post #325 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdleuck View Post
 

Hey Architect

I really hope you follow up in a few months with how the FX94s compare (for you:)) to your MX88s. 

I purchased the 94s last season. Really like them but took a bit to figure them out - and look forward to continuing the learning process this season.  Have been second guessing myself a bit regarding maybe I should have gotten the MX88s.  Would love to hear your comparison.  And thanks.

 

I'll follow up.  I picked up the FX94's for when I ski in northern Vermont trees and ungroomed trails.  As much as I love the MX88's I wish they were just a bit easier to turn in the trees and bumps.  Probably says more about my skill than the skis, though.  Anyway, for anything else you'd have to pry the MX88's off my cold, dead feet!  So, sooo good...for ME :)

 

I'll be taking the FX94's with me to AltaBird in February so I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform in powder (I hope!).

post #326 of 352

Thanks and I'll watch for that follow up comparison.

post #327 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
 

Probably says more about my skill than the skis, though. 

Naw. MX88's are no one's first choice for bumps and trees. Doable but not relaxing. Tails are too aggressive. FX's are far better, but in all honesty I've never seen any Kastle as a superb bump or tight place ski. The old BMX98's are probably closest, no metal, reverse dual sidecut, touch of early rise. But a ski that's really fun in bumps and trees will have twin tips and a fair amount of flex, prolly not shine maching firm or crushing crud. Can't have it all. 

post #328 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post
 

Naw. MX88's are no one's first choice for bumps and trees. Doable but not relaxing. Tails are too aggressive. FX's are far better, but in all honesty I've never seen any Kastle as a superb bump or tight place ski. The old BMX98's are probably closest, no metal, reverse dual sidecut, touch of early rise. But a ski that's really fun in bumps and trees will have twin tips and a fair amount of flex, prolly not shine maching firm or crushing crud. Can't have it all. 


You're right; can't have it all but I'm pretty close. :)  

post #329 of 352

Just happened on to this thread -- not sure how I missed it before.  To answer the original question, the question that has been raised in many ways in this thread --  are Kastle skis overrated?  For me, the answer is no.  Three years ago, I came to my pair of Kastles (BMX98s) by spending three days in Steamboat basically demoing every "expert" sky to be found at the mountain that was from about 85 to 100 in width.  I had a pair of true race skis and wanted something to replace a pair of Nordicas that I never really liked for use as more all around purposes  I didn't care at all about brand nor was I asking about price.  I didn't really know Kastle from any other brand except that the name was less familiar than other names. So I was simply trying out the skiis for how they felt.  I probably skied on a dozen to 15 skiis, including every ski that the principal shops said were their most popular and/or the then hottest ski.  Some lasted one run and others more.  At the end of each day I kept coming back to the Kastles -- and it was a close question as to which one.  For me, the ride was simpler smoother, damper and yet no less responsive for when I needed turns (say, in glades).  I fell in love with them; for what it was worth, the folks at the shop said my reaction was not unusual.  I bought a pair that I have now beaten down and spent awhile last year looking for another BMX98, which I did finally find over the summer and snapped up.  As to whether the price is worth it?  Well, someone in the thread answered that by comparing it to sports car prices.  Yes, you can pay in nearly every graduation for various differences which, at most price points, are not objectively that much of an improvement.  However, I'm content paying - say - $400 more for these than another ski because I can afford it and I gain that much pleasure.  It is a tiny difference compared to the entire cost of my family's ski vacations which can run (and I just booked a trip to Snowbird) close to $8K all-in for just a single vacation, including airfare for myself, wife and kids, lodging, passes, etc.  If I spend a single day at most East Coast resorts with my kids, I'm paying that $400 price differential in lift tickets alone!  So, yes, having a ski that puts a smile on my face is worth hundreds of dollars more.  

post #330 of 352

Ahh, Another Kastle LOVE AFFAIR   :rolleyes

 

Don't let Bogy burst your bubble.  :D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Kastle skis -- vastly overrated ! What do you think ?