New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An old skiing term: "Flitch-slam?"

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 

For years my Dad had some artwork in his office; it depicted a poor XC/backcountry skiier getting "flitch-slammed" (spelling?)


Basically, it's the unfortunate set of circumstances when your pole gets hung up on a tree/shrub behind you and you are lofted into the air, shaken violently, and slammed down to the ground.


Has anybody else heard this term or something similar? IS there really a word for this, or was his artwork fabricated? He's long gone and I never did find the painting...


and yes I joined just to ask this question since a google search didn't work. I'm an avid XC skiier but nobody has heard of this.

post #2 of 5

Welcome Martin. 


I have done that but never heard the term before.

Just thought of it as one more memorable way to biff it.

post #3 of 5

Never heard the term, but have experienced it and that is why I do not use the straps on my poles.

post #4 of 5

AKA shoulder dislocation

post #5 of 5

Sounds like a very local use of the word 'flitch'.   

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home