or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Breck/Summit Co. Outlook this Week/Weekend
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Breck/Summit Co. Outlook this Week/Weekend

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

I know I shouldn't worry, because it's not like I'm going to cancel my trip, but I'm scheduled to be in Breck this Thursday through Saturday (18th through 20th) and the weather has me worried. The forecast looks rough, in terms of high temperatures, and every time I look they seem to have increased the forecasted high by another degree or two. I was at Keystone last year during a warm week and conditions were pretty terrible on our last day (highs were between 45 and 50).

 

Will the high temps have much of a negative effect on skiing at Breck? Any strategies (areas to avoid/seek out, stick to groomers, stick to trees, etc.)? We're staying at a ski-in/ski-out place in Breck, but would we be better served to take advantage of our lift ticket's multi-resort benefit (e.g., spend a day at Vail or Beaver, spend a day or two at A-basin, etc.)? Should I just take advantage of Colorado's legal recreational substances and chill out?

post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw82 View Post
 
Should I just take advantage of Colorado's legal recreational substances and chill out?

 

Yes. 

 

You'll be fine.  Spring Skiing is great!  Increasing temps is what you want right now.

What you don't want to see is warm weather, then a dry cold front come thru and drop the high temps into the 20s.

post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the reassurance...especially from a fellow midwesterner. My experience in Wisconsin is that a few days in the 40s can end the season.

 

Just curious (from a scientific perspective)...I understand why you wouldn't want warm then a cold front, but why are increasing temps otherwise desirable right now? Just for comfort or is it actually beneficial for conditions? 

post #4 of 18

Yep, I saw the forecast and also and thought it was a little crazy.  May hit 50 at Copper on Wed. followed by a possibility of rain changing to snow on Thursday.  It will probably be all snow up a little higher than the base.  Looks like the good news is 3-5" Thursday evening followed by temps back into the 40's for Friday and the weekend. Might be a bit on the windy side Friday.  I agree with Shred.  You should be ok and have a good time.

post #5 of 18
Copper was great today. Did not get spring-like even at the bottom. Breck yesterday was a powder day.
post #6 of 18
Glad you had a good day today. Be careful tomorrow. I got a weather alert for a high wind warning. NWS is forecasting 80-90 mph winds above tree line.

Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day at Copper. Friday sounds like it should be a good day.
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Conditions were terrible at Breck today. Hard and icy for the most part with high winds. The areas with softer snow had a very grabby crust on top. Thinking about heading to beaver tomorrow.
post #8 of 18


I doubt it will be any better there.

 

Mike

post #9 of 18


Joel says 3-5 due tonight. Could be interesting if the wind stays here. I'd wait and see in the AM.

post #10 of 18

Looks like it's going to be a very interesting next couple of weeks...  will be out there next week, 24th through March 1...   I'll take 'springy' conditions over high winds and ice, I suppose...

post #11 of 18

I will be out there the 29th through the 5th. We have epic passes so we can choose which resort to hit. I guess its just wait and see but man I am hoping for snow this time!

post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Fwiw, we went to Vail yesterday and it was amazing, both in terms of conditions and layout. Really wish we were spending the whole time there. Hitting Breck again today though due to lift ticket restrictions. Hopefully the 4" we got night before last improved things.
post #13 of 18
I'm so confused by all of the different forecasts! Looks like some snow this week though. So excited.
post #14 of 18
You should have nice weather. I wouldn't get too excited about the forecast of snow. I think the best case scenario right now is for 6" over the course of the week. Should be a real warm day today with some gusty winds. Maybe a dusting to < 1" tonight. ( according to the NWS).

The good news is an easy drive up for you smile.gif
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78 View Post

You should have nice weather. I wouldn't get too excited about the forecast of snow. I think the best case scenario right now is for 6" over the course of the week. Should be a real warm day today with some gusty winds. Maybe a dusting to < 1" tonight. ( according to the NWS).

The good news is an easy drive up for you smile.gif


CAIC is forecasting TR-2" tonight. Their forecasts are for 11000' and above. It's seems to be the most relevant forecast for the ski area. NWS is relative to town, which is often useless for understanding what will actually happen on the mtn.

post #16 of 18
KCCU is at 12,000'
post #17 of 18

Halfway through my trip, while we haven't seen any fresh snow as of yet, overall conditions were fairly decent all things considered.

 

Wednesday at Keystone was reasonable,  Thursday at Copper was actually quite good - they seem to have had a bit more snow, and/or are doing better things with it overnight to keep conditions great, and finally Friday at A-Basin again was fantastic due to weather and lack of crowds.  A few thin areas but nothing too terrible.

 

Saw a few flakes overnight, not sure if it was just a dusting or a bit more higher than here (Frisco).  Will be doing Breck today and probably back to Copper tomorrow, and finally Vail on Tuesday.

 

Maybe see some of y'all up on the hill!

post #18 of 18

After a day off doing some Denver sightseeing while the slopes were handling the Saturday crowds, my group was back at it on Sunday, Breckenridge was actually quite nice and not overly packed.  Yesterday, back to Copper just because the conditions were so good a few days back and was able to use the Shell B1G1 offer on tickets, so can't beat that deal!

 

Finally, last night a few inches of lovely snow fulfilled our powder needs today at A Basin one last time.  Truly a wonderful way to wrap up a trip!

 

Skiied almost every day on Rossi Sin 7's which were excellent in all conditions.  Swapped out with my friend's Bonafides for a few runs but preferred the Sin7 this trip although I've enjoyed every Blizzard ski I've ever ridden over the years at other times.

 

Now... on to planning for Whistler 2017 and the Gathering!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Breck/Summit Co. Outlook this Week/Weekend