or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Moguls - Page 2

post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen View Post
 

Thanks for the replies. I'm getting a lot of really good info here. I'm not sure if I am ready for Wildcat bumps yet. Sounds like a triple threat: Steep, narrow, and bumpy :eek  I was thinking maybe Sunspot with some sun, maybe ballroom, lower rustler?


Like all the lifts at Alta, Wildcat serves a variety of terrain.  Also has the best view of the terrain off the High T.  On the open face, there will be plenty of bumps with no trees to experiment with, as long as you don't mind doing that where everyone on the lift can watch.

 

Look for the Saddle Traverse.  The top of Spring Valley is one way to get there.  When that hasn't been groomed for a while, nice short bump run.

 

If you are skiing solo, consider the Adult All-Mountain Workshop.  I think it's about $90 now.  2.5 hours led by an instructor, but it's more of a guided experience for off-trail exploring than a lesson.  They split into small groups based on ability after a ski off.  When my friend was at Alta for the first time several years ago, he had a good time off the High T in low visibility since he didn't have to worry about where they were going.  I was not as good back then and was in the least adventurous group.  Learned about all sorts of short shots in trees on both the Sugarloaf and Collins side.

post #32 of 39

The great thing about the Wildcat bumps is that the trees shade the bumps and keep them out of the freeze/thaw cycle, so they tend to stay soft. I say trees, but the runs really are honest to goodness runs between the trees, not tree runs in the usual sense. Also, because there is less traffic back there, you can still find soft bumps days after a storm.

post #33 of 39

we've had a few big storms at Alta this year (30+ inches) and the bumps really setup huge for a few days afterwards until the next snow filled things in a bit.  In addition to High T and High Boy, Sidewinder in Cathernine's area can provide some long sustained steep bumps that will wear you out and put a grin on your face!  lookers right off Supreme has 3 chutes that get some sizable bumps on them alot of times. Wildcat trees/chutes are my favorite and have been addressed already -  But if you looking for a more moderate slope to work on bumps hit Razorback or Extrovert off Sugarloaf -but be sure to smile at the Gapers!

post #34 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackke17 View Post
 

we've had a few big storms at Alta this year (30+ inches) and the bumps really setup huge for a few days afterwards until the next snow filled things in a bit.  In addition to High T and High Boy, Sidewinder in Cathernine's area can provide some long sustained steep bumps that will wear you out and put a grin on your face!  lookers right off Supreme has 3 chutes that get some sizable bumps on them alot of times. Wildcat trees/chutes are my favorite and have been addressed already -  But if you looking for a more moderate slope to work on bumps hit Razorback or Extrovert off Sugarloaf -but be sure to smile at the Gapers!

 

Ha!!! Thanks, will do.

post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen View Post
 

 

Is there a way to enter the lower part of High Rustler without the sketchy entry? Ill be in the neighborhood soon and thought this run may be a great place to find good bumps.


The saddle traverse goes all the way to High Rustler. I've only done it once, at low tide, and it was iffy then. However, I think it would be good with a decent base. From the top, depending on your definition of sketchy, Piss Pass can be rough. However, if you get past that and ski a few turns down Rustler hill there is a nice traverse through the trees to High Rustler that is rock-free in decent coverage.

 

A few more notes on Alta bumps: I disagree with the post earlier about Gunsight; while the very top might have the "stair" bumps; it is worth it because the area below it has some of the best big round bumps on the mountain. Extrovert and Vicky's both suffer from being skied a lot by skiers that aren't good at bumps, and the bumps are poorly formed as a result. However Chartreuse (continue straight past Extrovert) is much better.

post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSki View Post
 
 

 

A few more notes on Alta bumps: I disagree with the post earlier about Gunsight; while the very top might have the "stair" bumps; it is worth it because the area below it has some of the best big round bumps on the mountain. 

Agreed--last week it had very gentle bumps after you go throught the top.

 

First time I did it was 30 years ago. My wife's first time in powder, we did a run on Ballroom and then headed for High Greeley--I thought. Wound up on top of Gunsight instead--a couple of feet of fresh without even a patrol track. Except for the top 30 feet of solid ice. As I gingerly sideslipped into the chute a blur went by--my wife straightlining the chute. Once she got down to the open bowl she cut left into the Eagle's Nest trees and it took me an hour to find her.

post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
 

People still are into moguls? I thought those went out in the '90s.

 

Well, back then at least the top 25% of skiers could actually ski them! The change is dramatic. Nowadays most (not all, MOST) skiers can huck and spin and do all sorts of air tricks, but damn they can't turn worth a squat! And if they are in a mogul field they are DOA. But they look great for the picture in the air!!!!

 

The overall skill level has gone down a lot, likely due to the improvement in equipment speeding the curve of folks being able to actually get down a difficult trail.... Making the sport easier has taken a toll on the overall skill level of who's still doing it.

post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerNMTB View Post
 

 

Well, back then at least the top 25% of skiers could actually ski them! The change is dramatic. Nowadays most (not all, MOST) skiers can huck and spin and do all sorts of air tricks, but damn they can't turn worth a squat! And if they are in a mogul field they are DOA. But they look great for the picture in the air!!!!

 

The overall skill level has gone down a lot, likely due to the improvement in equipment speeding the curve of folks being able to actually get down a difficult trail.... Making the sport easier has taken a toll on the overall skill level of who's still doing it.

 

As if.

post #39 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerNMTB View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
 

People still are into moguls? I thought those went out in the '90s.

 

Well, back then at least the top 25% of skiers could actually ski them! The change is dramatic. Nowadays most (not all, MOST) skiers can huck and spin and do all sorts of air tricks, but damn they can't turn worth a squat! And if they are in a mogul field they are DOA. But they look great for the picture in the air!!!!

 

The overall skill level has gone down a lot, likely due to the improvement in equipment speeding the curve of folks being able to actually get down a difficult trail.... Making the sport easier has taken a toll on the overall skill level of who's still doing it.


I must say, one of the very many reasons I love bumps is they are the least crowded place on the mountain. I had many runs all to myself at Mammoth... on Presidents weekend!!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion