or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Park Skiers: is the Look Pivot more durable than Marker Griffon?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Park Skiers: is the Look Pivot more durable than Marker Griffon?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
My son's training park with a team and now going on 3rd set of bindings in a year. Looking into Look Pivot VS Marker Griffon. I'm hearing the Markers are not as durable by comparison.

I have a lot of experience with Markers, and my son's had 3 sets, but after he's now broken two, I'm seriously considering switching him to the Look Piv instead of the Griffon. Any firsthand experience with these two getting hammered in park use?

This isn't a brand or style thing, I just need to get him situated with a solution that doesn't pre-release often on landings and can handle daily rail and jump duty without any problems.

I heard from some experienced free skiers that their gear gets battered (skis last two months), but didn't take it seriously until now. Holy cow, second set of boots this season and bindings are getting hammered.

I had a shop tell me to go with the Looks, but wanted to ask you guys for an unbiased opinion (with firsthand experience from heavy park use, either you or you kid).

Thanks for your input, much appreciated!
post #2 of 14

Look or Rossi pivots (they are the same) are more durable than Griffons and have more elastic travel (better retention).

 

 

I have both bindings, don't ski park. The above is my opinion as well as the consensus of most free skiers. 

post #3 of 14

Pivots are definitely more durable than Griffons.

post #4 of 14

The one 'issue' with the Pivot/ FKS binding for park skiers is that the brakes are not easily replaced when damaged, and park skiers mangle ski brakes.  Other than that, better in every way.

post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
 

The one 'issue' with the Pivot/ FKS binding for park skiers is that the brakes are not easily replaced when damaged, and park skiers mangle ski brakes.  Other than that, better in every way.

 

That's what I'm beginning to realize. My son's been pre-releasing on landings, and yesterday he ripped his brake off landing switch off a jump while pre-releasing out of one ski. 

post #6 of 14
They're now selling replacement Pivot brakes for ~$75. Better than in old days when you had to cannibalize a heel piece.
post #7 of 14

another option is the SPX or PX series, the brakes are screwed into the heel piece and can be replaced.

post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
 

Look or Rossi pivots (they are the same) are more durable than Griffons and have more elastic travel (better retention).

 

 

I have both bindings, don't ski park. The above is my opinion as well as the consensus of most free skiers. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcyclist View Post
 

Pivots are definitely more durable than Griffons.

 

On the Griffon, which parts tend to have durability issues, what breaks and why? Thank you.

post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super D View Post

On the Griffon, which parts tend to have durability issues, what breaks and why? Thank you.

Plastic.

 

If you look at a Griffon vs an FKS you can see there is a lot more plastic in critical areas of the binding.

 

I'm not sure if there is any one specific part of the Griffon that is more prone to breakage, but most of the breaks I have seen are where the heel piece pivots. Similar to this:

post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
 

Plastic.

 

If you look at a Griffon vs an FKS you can see there is a lot more plastic in critical areas of the binding.

 

I'm not sure if there is any one specific part of the Griffon that is more prone to breakage, but most of the breaks I have seen are where the heel piece pivots. Similar to this:

 

Damn, that's not so good. Wonder if they're doing something to address it, so the design is strengthened and people don't switch to another brand.

post #11 of 14

I mean, for the record I've had a pair of Griffons for 3 years that I've skied pretty hard and haven't had any problems with. But I don't ski park where equipment abuse is taken to a different level.

post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
 

I mean, for the record I've had a pair of Griffons for 3 years that I've skied pretty hard and haven't had any problems with. But I don't ski park where equipment abuse is taken to a different level.

 

I think we might end up with a Jester. Just talked to a guy about them, and that one replaces the plastic parts with metal, so it should be pretty bomb-proof. Or so one would hope. :D

I used to race, and my race skis lasted years. Hard to believe the park skiing retires skis in months or weeks! My son's coach said one of their pro guys goes thru skis in a couple of weeks, good lord.

post #13 of 14

For my .02, I'd do Tyrolia Attacks before Jesters or Griffons. Not that the Jesters are bad - I just like the others better. Certainly easier clicking in/out.

 

As noted above - without a doubt the Pivots are generally favored over the Marker Royals. But there is no easy brake replacement. 

post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
 

For my .02, I'd do Tyrolia Attacks before Jesters or Griffons. Not that the Jesters are bad - I just like the others better. Certainly easier clicking in/out.

 

As noted above - without a doubt the Pivots are generally favored over the Marker Royals. But there is no easy brake replacement. 

 

I actually just sold a new pair of skis with Ataacks on them. I'm sure they're great, but I've broken legs twice on Tyrolias, and I just can't get it out of my head somehow. I have no doubt the new bindings are massively better than the ones I was on at the time. But basically, if I have to think twice (even just due to residual fallout from older stuff), I don't want it. Maybe that's irrational, like superstition, or sports rituals or something.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Park Skiers: is the Look Pivot more durable than Marker Griffon?