Friends, Ms. D1 and I plan to head to Oregon in April to ski Mt. Batchelor for the first time. While I wait all season for spring skiing in Maine, we have suffered a snow drought this year that will take much to overcome. We chose Mt. B because we are also scoping out possible winter retirement locations, and Bend seems to come up on most lists. Also have family in Portland.
So the plan would be to go sometime after the first of April. While it is not yet advertised, the hill has a late season pass that costs in the vicinity of $150. Unbeatable price (heading to Vail in two weeks - $165 window price - ). Here are some questions that come to mind:
- Are there any school vacation weeks that we should be aware of (and avoid)
- Plan to stay in Bend and drive to the hill - lots of Air B&B options. But suggestions for lodging still very welcome.
- Plan to fly to Portland and drive - just to get a sense of the lay of the land. I have read that there is a height of land or pass that can be dicey. Would this still hold true in April? If so, all wheel drive vehicle recommended?
- Special things to do in/around Bend that may not be on our radar - food places, music, culture etc.
- Any local knowledge of the hill recommendations? I ski at upper level and Ms. D1 is a solid intermediate but will dip into the trees if not too scary.
- Always great to follow local Bears around new hills. Feel free to pm me if you do not mind being a tour guide. No worries. I shine up pretty good. And Ms. D1 is salt of the earth woman.
Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions that will make this a great trip.
Edited by deliberate1 - 2/10/16 at 12:15pm