or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › A Different Kind of Ski Video
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Different Kind of Ski Video

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I saw this on another forum and thought it was worth sharing. Apparently, the guy is just using a string split in two connecting to either end of an iPhone.

 

post #2 of 10

What a cool creative idea! Must take some practice to keep it swinging around while skiing. And I wonder if he has it in something padded?

post #3 of 10

Very cool. I wonder how he keeps it pointed at himself? I'd like to see the setup.

post #4 of 10
Gorgeous cinematography shot in wet dream conditions and terrain. I do not know if Justice Potter Stewart was a skier. But if he was, that vid would surely meet his definition of porn. It meets mine.
D1
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 

Must take some practice to keep it swinging around while skiing. And I wonder if he has it in something padded?

 

 "hey bro let me borrow your phone"

post #6 of 10

It's fun watching him try to turn with his arm extended over and behind his head.

post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whumpf View Post
 

Very cool. I wonder how he keeps it pointed at himself? I'd like to see the setup.

 

Looking at it again, I think the string is split in 3 or 4 pieces. That's the only way it would stop the phone from spinning.

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralVortex View Post
 

 

Looking at it again, I think the string is split in 3 or 4 pieces. That's the only way it would stop the phone from spinning.

 

My guess on how he does it: there is a pvc pipe about a foot long with 1" notches on each end.  Fishing line is threaded through the pipe (and notches) with the ends in the guys hand.  The camera is affixed to the pipe.  The notches and camera attachment are all aligned such that when swinging, they are on the inside.

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanvg View Post
 

 

My guess on how he does it: there is a pvc pipe about a foot long with 1" notches on each end.  Fishing line is threaded through the pipe (and notches) with the ends in the guys hand.  The camera is affixed to the pipe.  The notches and camera attachment are all aligned such that when swinging, they are on the inside.


That sounds about right.  And looking at the lines as they glint in the sun, the pipe (if that's what it is) is vertically oriented relative to the snow.  But the assembly would likely oscillate around the long axis of the string-pipe-camera assembly.  So put the camera toward the leading edge and add a fin or tail to the trailing end (but I can't see such in the occasionally visible shadow).

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________

How well you are able to ski is related to how hard you are willing to fall.

post #10 of 10

A video of "skiing while swinging a camera" fails would go viral on youtube

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › A Different Kind of Ski Video