EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Fitness, Health, Nutrition, Injury, and Recovery › Anyone Here Skiing After Major Spine Fusion Surgery?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone Here Skiing After Major Spine Fusion Surgery? - Page 2

post #31 of 40
Heading out to visit in Jan. Great to hear your progress!

DC
post #32 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post

Heading out to visit in Jan. Great to hear your progress!

DC

 

Let's make some turns!

post #33 of 40

You Betcha!

 

just booked our lodging! We'll be up on Granite Ridge.

post #34 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
 

You Betcha!

 

just booked our lodging! We'll be up on Granite Ridge.


Great spot.  You'll be almost on top of the new gondola!

post #35 of 40

While I don't have a back fusion I do have  two neck fusions.I have a fusion from C4 to C7 posterior with a strut and cage in front after a fall that also caused a spinal cord injury in 2003. In 2012 I had a second fusion from C4-C7 this time posterior with rods and screws on both sides of vertebrae. I just started skiing this past season again after a 14 yr. hiatus. ( Im 45 yrs old btw). I absolutely love being back on the slopes! My neck gets a little soar but all and all it's not too bad. I have neurological pain that far outweighs anything else from the spinal cord injury and I cant get too cold but the pay off of being back on the slopes is completely worth it. Just take it slow the first time and see how you feel. Your first crash is probably going to let you know you've been fused smile.gif Take lots of Ibuprofen...



Mark

post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Graham View Post
 

Just take it slow the first time and see how you feel. Your first crash is probably going to let you know you've been fused smile.gif Take lots of Ibuprofen...

 

Mark

I'm not sure slow is in Bob's vocabulary and He doesn't crash!  Duck while weaving through the trees maybe! (don't follow him too close!) (heh heh)

 

Now where's that "Duck and cover" smiley?

post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post
 

Thought I'd check in one more time.  I'm now at 5.5 months post surgery.  Things are going extremely well.  I've been hiking a ton, spending lots of time in the gym, and fishing (I almost exclusively wade-fish in big rivers with slippery rocks and fairly strong current) more than I have in, well, my whole life.  My doc has said my recent x-rays look "ideal" and I'm ready for winter!

 

We have 15" of snow forecast in the higher elevations of the Tetons over the next three days.  Here's a web cam photo of Teton Pass right now:

 

W??J5W??JD


If that materializes, I'm going skinning up on the Pass in a few days so I can try out my new - and improved - back.  

 

Can't wait.


Bob, I had no doubt you'd recover well.  Stay strong and stay inspired. 

post #38 of 40

Hi Bob,

 

This thread surfaced during my just started search for a fusion physician for "possible" fusion.

 

1st: glad to hear things are progressing smoothly for you. As I just heard that JH is shut down due to wind induced power outage, I assume you will be #1 in line on Monday's post black out opening. 

 

2nd: Had an l5/s1 fusion approx 20 years ago....did not go well....took 4+ years to recover. Between then/now ripped mid-life crisis @ Park city for a season, then moved over to Alta (goldminer's daughter evening cook) to get a) more pow, b) steeps to handle more pow. Also mountain biking, surfing, trail running (like 15m miles....sloooow).

 

3rd: been on the IR (injured reserve) list for 8m, started at ankle then traced to L5/S1 again:-(

 

Sooooo question is, do you or others have any referals for great spine surgeon? I'm in SoCal but am willing to "go where I need to go" for confidence in surgeon.

 

Related: How did you "vett" your surgeons (like rating sites, etc.)?

 

Thanks in advance!

post #39 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullr rips View Post
 

Hi Bob,

 

This thread surfaced during my just started search for a fusion physician for "possible" fusion.

 

1st: glad to hear things are progressing smoothly for you. As I just heard that JH is shut down due to wind induced power outage, I assume you will be #1 in line on Monday's post black out opening. 

 

2nd: Had an l5/s1 fusion approx 20 years ago....did not go well....took 4+ years to recover. Between then/now ripped mid-life crisis @ Park city for a season, then moved over to Alta (goldminer's daughter evening cook) to get a) more pow, b) steeps to handle more pow. Also mountain biking, surfing, trail running (like 15m miles....sloooow).

 

3rd: been on the IR (injured reserve) list for 8m, started at ankle then traced to L5/S1 again:-(

 

Sooooo question is, do you or others have any referals for great spine surgeon? I'm in SoCal but am willing to "go where I need to go" for confidence in surgeon.

 

Related: How did you "vett" your surgeons (like rating sites, etc.)?

 

Thanks in advance!

 

Hi, Ullr.

 

Sorry to hear about the return of your symptoms.  I'll be thrilled (and surprised) if the relief from my fusion surgery lasts as long as yours did.

 

I didn't have much of a vetting system - extreme or otherwise - although I did consult with a total of five surgeons, one here in Jackson Hole, one in Colorado, two in Salt Lake City, and the one at Stanford (in Palo Alto) who ultimately did the surgery.  All of the surgeons came to the same conclusion and suggested more or less the same "fix".  What tipped the scale for me was that I became acquainted with someone here in Jackson who had had a nearly identical procedure by the Stanford doc three years earlier and was doing exceptionally well.

 

The doctor's name is Todd Alamin.  He's an assistant professor at Stanford, appears to be relatively young, and is also an avid skier.  Here's his contact info:  https://stanfordhealthcare.org/doctors/a/todd-alamin.html  I am very happy to recommend him and have done so a bunch of times in the last year.

 

I don't know how significant this is, but as we were getting on the plane to return from my first appointment with Dr. Alamin, my wife pointed out something interesting.  Dr. Alamin was the only doctor of the five I visited who actually physically touched my back during his examination.  All the others read my films and reports and mri's and did the normal testing of extremities for strength and balance, but Dr. Alamin rolled me onto my stomach and palpated my spine in several ways.  I don't know whether that means a thing in the overall picture, but it made me feel like he had taken an interest in my case.

 

Good luck with your search.

 

Here are a couple of "after" x-rays:

 

 

 

 

post #40 of 40

Hi Bob,

 

Thanks for getting back to me on this. Your Stamford referral is on the list!

 

W/R to your fusion: I have no doubt you will be ripping over 20yrs....based on the amount of hardware:-)

 

Sounds like your vetting was pretty thorough to me. Can't believe you had 5 agreements when even 2 is a rarity.

 

A double bonus is actually getting touched by a surgeon. Something to be said there! Hard enough to find Physical Therapists who actually touch as most shops are "production" PT gigs.

 

I'm still in limbo as my pain is actually down at my ankles along with the bilateral lower leg numbness (on top of the numbness from the original fusion). They tried a nerve block to determine which nerve root was involved, but the results did not agree with the symptoms.....thus thrown back for more tests. I'm trying to beat the window of avoiding permanent nerved damage, thus this process of elimination is kinda taxing my sanity (not to mention my wife's).

 

I'll touch base down the line (wish it was the fall line) as it's always good to be inspired by someone who is "being there/doing that".

 

Just remember.....when in doubt....straighten 'em out!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Fitness, Health, Nutrition, Injury, and Recovery › Anyone Here Skiing After Major Spine Fusion Surgery?