or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Has anyone tried Vida-Flo to eliminate Altitude Sickness?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Has anyone tried Vida-Flo to eliminate Altitude Sickness?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

EDITORS WARNING THE FOLLOWING POSTS BY THIS USER AND TWO OTHERS WAS A DISHONEST ATTEMPT AT GUERRILLA MARKETING BY VIDA-FLO, FEEL FREE TO READ TO UNDERSTAND THEIR MARKETING TACTICS

I have visited Breck practically every year (in both winter and summer) for the last decade and almost every other year I have issues getting acclimated to the elevation and my wife has issues almost every time. We heard about a new place in town called Vida-Flo, a medical (?) office that provides IV fluids and vitamins to cure your symptoms. It seems to make sense based upon everyone ALWAYS telling us to "stay hydrated", "drink more water" but has anyone tried it? It seems pretty affordable, around $60 but wanted to get some testimonials if possible.

Thanks!

post #2 of 19


I don't know of this place.

 

I do know that staying hydrated, while excellent advice on its own, can be (IS?) irrelevant in solving true AMS. It has NO noticeable benefit to me, I need drugs when I am actually afflicted. My advice is talk to your doctor, get the most aggressive treatment that is appropriate and acceptable to you, then work backward to find the least objectionable treatment that works FOR YOU. Doesn't really matter what works for someone else, does it?

 

If you haven't already, search the site for related thread. Lots of info here (though some of it is not up to snuff).

post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 

I was more concerned with how the place is set up.  Is it clean, friendly, etc.

post #4 of 19

I read about it on a local's blog. I really don't see how IV fluids will make the difference unless you are totally dehydrated. I'm trying Diamox this trip and I have been told by several people to try out a can of air and see if I notice a difference. A few said the can of air is BS but its cheap enough to try out. 

post #5 of 19
I've seen places like that in Vegas, there's one in the MGM Grand for instance. I think the symptoms they are most effective for are alcohol rather than altitude induced.

Bob
post #6 of 19

There's a lot of people making money off of snake oil "cures." Here's a NY Times article about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/13/travel/skiing-rocky-mountains-altitude-sickness.html?_r=0

post #7 of 19

I have used Diamox in the past and it does help. You will be "surprised" by carbonated beverages though. 120 of Ginkgo twice daily starting a week before and all through the trip also helps. By all means do stay hydrated and opt to sleep at lower altitude than higher whenever possible. 

post #8 of 19
IIRC Big Sky has a flavored oxygen bar. Because peanut butter air makes you ski better than strawberry.
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJTurner View Post
 

I have visited Breck practically every year (in both winter and summer) for the last decade and almost every other year I have issues getting acclimated to the elevation and my wife has issues almost every time. We heard about a new place in town called Vida-Flo, a medical (?) office that provides IV fluids and vitamins to cure your symptoms. It seems to make sense based upon everyone ALWAYS telling us to "stay hydrated", "drink more water" but has anyone tried it? It seems pretty affordable, around $60 but wanted to get some testimonials if possible.

 

I'm not a doctor. But I do suffer at altitude and have used Diamox. Here's the problem, you can't "cure" AMS with vitamins and hydration. In fact Diamox does not "cure" AMS, it just helps the body acclimate faster if properly taken days BEFORE ascending to altitude. Why pay $60 for the equivalent of drinking more water and taking a multivitamin? IV fluids make sense if you are throwing up and unable to hold down oral fluids, in which case you should probably descend to lower altitude or visit the ER.

 

If you are coming from much lower elevation, staying 1 night in Denver can help too. Diamox works, but it will ruin the taste of all carbonated drinks including beer, and you will be peeing a lot.

post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 

Well we tried it and BOY did it make a difference treating our Altitude Sickness.  It is set up like a med spa with comfortable recliners, flat screens and blankets.  All the treatments are administered by nurses and the medical director is an MD.  We did not spend a day in Denver, just straight from the airport and I was definitely sucking wind and feeling under the weather.  My wife was nauseas.  I received a bag of saline solution (they say it is equivalent to drinking 3 gallons of water!), some vitamins, oxygen and a pain reliever.  She received the same plus Zufran (sp?) that completely eliminated her nausea...immediately.  We skied all weekend and feel better than we ever have at that altitude.  We may go back today or tomorrow for a little preventative medicine.  For us Altitude Sickness is no joke and anything we can do to alleviate it (so we can enjoy our pretty expensive vacation) is worth it.

 

Oh yeah, it only cost $60 per person!  Not a bad price to pay to get rid of Altitude Sickness and enjoy our week-long vacation!!

 

We definitely give it four thumbs up!!!

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJTurner View Post
 

Well we tried it and BOY did it make a difference treating our Altitude Sickness.  It is set up like a med spa with comfortable recliners, flat screens and blankets.  All the treatments are administered by nurses and the medical director is an MD.  We did not spend a day in Denver, just straight from the airport and I was definitely sucking wind and feeling under the weather.  My wife was nauseas.  I received a bag of saline solution (they say it is equivalent to drinking 3 gallons of water!), some vitamins, oxygen and a pain reliever.  She received the same plus Zufran (sp?) that completely eliminated her nausea...immediately.  We skied all weekend and feel better than we ever have at that altitude.  We may go back today or tomorrow for a little preventative medicine.  For us Altitude Sickness is no joke and anything we can do to alleviate it (so we can enjoy our pretty expensive vacation) is worth it.

 

Oh yeah, it only cost $60 per person!  Not a bad price to pay to get rid of Altitude Sickness and enjoy our week-long vacation!!

 

We definitely give it four thumbs up!!!


Really happy to hear it worked for you. I'd still recommend a discussion with your regular doc at your next annual. Altitude sickness can be just an annoyance, but it can be a real no-sheet problem for some. Better safe than sorry.

post #12 of 19

EDITORS WARNING THE FOLLOWING POST WAS A DISHONEST ATTEMPT AT GUERRILLA MARKETING BY VIDA-FLO

 

I visited Breck in early December and, as usual, got crushed with altitude sickness. I woke up the first morning (having a few beers the night before) after not sleeping much that night and was nauseated and dizzy. I googled any type of solution or remedy and found Vida-Flo, which was actually across the street. So I decided to try it out and it was legit. Fluids, nausea medicine, FREE OXYGEN and headache medicine got me leveled out. 

 

As someone earlier said, you can't eliminate altitude sickness with anything other than time, but this cured most of the symptoms within about an hour. I probably wouldn't have made it to the slopes on day one. By the time the treatment wore off, I was told it would last for 2-3 days, I was fine with the altitude.

 

I've used diamox here and on some climbing expeditions and it helps sleep, but not to alleviate symptoms. I am heading back out there later this month and will definitely use it again. I think it costs like $100 if you put in all the extras too (vitamins and antioxidants)... well worth it to save a several thousand dollar trip IMO. 

post #13 of 19

Zofran is for nausea. You normally get it after surgery if the sleepy time juice makes you sick when you wake up. Glad it worked for you and thanks for being the guinea pig! 

post #14 of 19

EDITORS WARNING THE FOLLOWING POST WAS A DISHONEST ATTEMPT AT GUERRILLA MARKETING BY VIDA-FLO

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJTurner View Post
 

I have visited Breck practically every year (in both winter and summer) for the last decade and almost every other year I have issues getting acclimated to the elevation and my wife has issues almost every time. We heard about a new place in town called Vida-Flo, a medical (?) office that provides IV fluids and vitamins to cure your symptoms. It seems to make sense based upon everyone ALWAYS telling us to "stay hydrated", "drink more water" but has anyone tried it? It seems pretty affordable, around $60 but wanted to get some testimonials if possible.

Thanks!

 

I hope this post isn't too late for you KJTurner!

 

I have been vacationing in Breck for nearly 15 years and every year I have experienced slight altitude sickness.... but this trip was THE WORST. For two days I had every symptom you could imagine! I was nauseous, throwing up, I couldn't eat (nor did I have much of an appetite), I had a constant, pounding headache, and just really felt miserable. The concierge at my hotel gave me a flyer for Vidaflo so I started googling it and reading the reviews. They all sounded pretty good and figured this was better than a trip to the ER. I am THRILLED I gave them a try! My vacation is SAVED. I only spent about $100 and 45 minutes for the full blown altitude package. Literally half way through my treatment session I was starting to feel better. But this morning I feel 100% better, I feel like myself again! The place is clean and the lady at the front was extremely helpful and kind! After speaking with her, the nurse came in and sat wit me to discuss my medical history etc. The nurse was very attentive and really made me feel comfortable because she was very thorough and explained everything to me and how it works. They make sure the treatment is safe for you before doing anything (HUGE PLUS in my book). For my treatment I sat in a reclining chair and relaxed with a blanket while watching TV. It really did not feel like a "medical" facility, it has more of a spa atmosphere, which help put me at ease! I was so happy I didn't have to sit in the waiting room of the ER with people who may have something contagious. I will definitely be making this my first stop when I come back out to Breck in March!

 

My husband is a pharmacist and yes, diamox can help but the problem is, it is a diuretic (AKA you pee A LOT) and just dehydrate yourself even more and leave more problems for yourself later. This is a much better alternative!

post #15 of 19

hmm 3 new posters, have positive reviews of a witch doctor clinic. Cant help but be skeptical.

 

 

All this place does is fill you up with a liter of water, and some vitamins. If you have a headache they add some aleve/advil to the mixture. 

 

Going to the store, buying some water, aleve, vitamins, would cost you 20 bucks tops, and you'd have more then a liter of water. 


Edited by opfreak - 2/11/16 at 10:59am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by opfreak View Post
 

hmm 3 new posters, have positive reviews of a witch doctor clinic. Cant help but be skeptical.

 

 

All this place does is fill you up with a liter of water, and some vitamins. If you have a headache they add some aleve/advil to the mixture. 

 

Going to the store, buying some water, aleve, vitamins, would cost you 20 bucks tops, and you'd have more then a liter of water. 

 

All with very similar styles of user names as well...  

post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleThomas View Post

My husband is a pharmacist and yes, diamox can help but the problem is, it is a diuretic (AKA you pee A LOT) and just dehydrate yourself even more and leave more problems for yourself later. This is a much better alternative!

I really suggest people talk to their medical Doctor before going to altitude rather than going off of the type of advice given on the internet which may have false, misleading or self serving content.  My experience with preparing for high altitude consulting a doctor, getting prescription Diamox taken a few days before going to elevations such as Summit County and staying hydrated helped me with coping with the lower oxygen in the atmosphere.  

post #18 of 19

Hey all thanks for the post flags, it took a bit of digging, but I believe I have essentially confirmed that the users @KJTurner @JerryJohnston and @NicoleThomas are all marketing people for Vida-Flo. Instead of deleting the posts and this thread, I'm editing their posts to reflect what they attempted to do. Hopefully with our high rankings in Google Search queries it will warn others about their dishonest marketing techniques. 

 

They were smart enough to not use a work email address, but both KJTurner and JerryJohnston are posting from the same IP Address in Atlanta, GA...want to guess where Vida-Flo's headquarters is? NicoleThomas doesn't have a direct connection, but her IP address Geo-matches to the general area of Vida-Flo's Colorado office. Not cool guys!  

post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylrwnzl View Post
 

Hey all thanks for the post flags, it took a bit of digging, but I believe I have essentially confirmed that the users @KJTurner @JerryJohnston and @NicoleThomas are all marketing people for Vida-Flo. Instead of deleting the posts and this thread, I'm editing their posts to reflect what they attempted to do. Hopefully with our high rankings in Google Search queries it will warn others about their dishonest marketing techniques. 

 

They were smart enough to not use a work email address, but both KJTurner and JerryJohnston are posting from the same IP Address in Atlanta, GA...want to guess where Vida-Flo's headquarters is? NicoleThomas doesn't have a direct connection, but her IP address Geo-matches to the general area of Vida-Flo's Colorado office. Not cool guys!  


Good work Tyler. Frustrating that I gave honest advice and it turns out I'm giving advise to a turd. Thanks for what you do.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Has anyone tried Vida-Flo to eliminate Altitude Sickness?