or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NTN and parallel turns

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Hi All

 

I am considering getting a telemark setup and wanted to go with NTN.  I did a lesson the other day and was using borrowed boots and skis.  The instructor had us start by doing some regular runs with parallel turns.  I would like to know how well NTN bindings work for regular alpine skiing.  Unfortunately the skis I borrowed were too short and the boots were like kleenex boxes, so I suspect the difficulties I was having at first were largely due to fit issues.  Just wondering how good (or as close to my regular turns) this setup can be if everything fits properly.

 

Thank you for any and all comments,

Jeff

post #2 of 9

I'll just avoid the whole question of why, and say that: NTN are absolutely fine for parallel turns, but it will never be the same, balance-wise, as with fixed-heel bindings. Some people do it all the time (weirdos! :D) , most of us do it occasionally - you just have to remember that you can't rely on your heel attachment to recover if you're too far forward.

post #3 of 9

 I had a less than satisfactory experience with NTN bindings a few years back, when I broke my old 7tm binding and had to rent boots and bindings for a few days.  The boots did not fit well, which was a large part of the problem, but I found that the fore and aft stiffness of the NTN binding too much. I found it difficult to drop a knee in soft snow: the tip would just dive in.

 

I wound up getting 22 designs Hammerheads for my resort skis and Axls for my touring skis.  I can P-turn on both of those bindings when I want, thought fore and aft stability is always a consideration, as noted above.

post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan from Pa View Post
 

……. I found it difficult to drop a knee in soft snow: the tip would just dive in.

 

By no means universal, but not an uncommon observation - hence the preference of many for the NTN Freedoms over the Freerides, at least for softer snow.

post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Lutes View Post
 

I'll just avoid the whole question of why, and say that: NTN are absolutely fine for parallel turns, but it will never be the same, balance-wise, as with fixed-heel bindings. Some people do it all the time (weirdos! :D) , most of us do it occasionally - you just have to remember that you can't rely on your heel attachment to recover if you're too far forward.

 

Weirdo here, I make mostly parallel turns on my tele gear (75mm) these days. My knees have turned to crap filled pain joints. The only issues I have with free heel gear making parallel turns is in the rain (Mt Hood) or during super soft spring conditions. That constant "I'm going over! Nope, got it; I'm going over! Nope got it" gets tiresome fast.

 

I miss my 30 yo knees.

 

I don't know much about NTN, but I thought it was closer to Randonee then to 75mm telemark?

post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyleigh View Post

Hi All

I am considering getting a telemark setup and wanted to go with NTN.  I did a lesson the other day and was using borrowed boots and skis.  The instructor had us start by doing some regular runs with parallel turns.  I would like to know how well NTN bindings work for regular alpine skiing.  Unfortunately the skis I borrowed were too short and the boots were like kleenex boxes, so I suspect the difficulties I was having at first were largely due to fit issues.  Just wondering how good (or as close to my regular turns) this setup can be if everything fits properly.

Thank you for any and all comments,
Jeff

Shouldn't be a problem at all. One caveat, if you're a terminal intermediate alpine skier with bad habits and poorly balanced on your skis, teley gear will let you know in a hurry. smile.gif
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by libexec View Post



I don't know much about NTN, but I thought it was closer to Randonee then to 75mm telemark?

Nope.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post


Nope.

 

I don't know much about tele either, but I know that's a big ol' nope.

post #9 of 9

Depends on who you talk to - I've known a few luddites with leathers and 3-pins who lump NTN and AT in the same category under the anti-christ. :eek

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home