or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rust "inside" ski edge.

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Hey there.

 

Recently started tuning and caring more about my skis, bla bla, and all that stuff :) :beercheer:

 

So, after my last trip i was removing some minor surface rust from the trip home, when i saw something odd on my Rossignol Soul 7. Where the metal edge ends and the wood starts, at the tip of the ski, i felt a tiny gap on one of the skis (look at the picture). The picture is just a random one from the internet, can provide picture of my skis, i just don't have time today.

 

 

At this small gap i swiftly realised a lot of water had to be absorbed. Through the yellow part of the ski, you can see most of the edge that's sitting inside the ski:

 

 

On the ski with the gap, most of the small "teeth" of the edge were rust-colored. 

 

I mean, this must be bad?? I've always been taught to fill core shots etc. as quickly as possible to avoid water getting into the woodcore. Am i paying too much attention to details here, or should i throw Rossignol an email??

 

Thanks in advantage.

/Nick

post #2 of 8

I have a little corrosive penetration at that point in more than one pair of skis.  I noticed it is where the skis touch when strapped together for travel. Putting them up wet can cause that... when they are still moist when it warms up.  Rust can't form in cold, but it can form in warm.. and condensation can happen on the metal inside the ski to some degree I believe. 

 

Ho old are they and how much have they been ground?  It's more noticeable when the base material is getting thinner.  I wouldn't worry too much about that other than if they've been ground more than three or four times. 

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the input!

 

To me it looks more like the moits enters at the end of the metal edge (connection point between wood and metal edge, this is where i can feel a slight gap), and then travels down towards the rest of the ski. This claim is based on the fact that i see more rusty-colored stuff closer to the connection point. I should provide some pictures i guess... :-)

 

They have been ground once and have only been driven for a season now. Still under warranty.

post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 

I have a little corrosive penetration at that point in more than one pair of skis.  I noticed it is where the skis touch when strapped together for travel. Putting them up wet can cause that... when they are still moist when it warms up.  Rust can't form in cold, but it can form in warm.. and condensation can happen on the metal inside the ski to some degree I believe. 

 

Ho old are they and how much have they been ground?  It's more noticeable when the base material is getting thinner.  I wouldn't worry too much about that other than if they've been ground more than three or four times. 

I just checked a 2nd time and i definitely also see some extra rust at this specific point (where i strap them together). But what i was mainly worried about is depicted here:

 

 

Very tiny gap at the top of the metal edge, not a lot of rust to be seen here.

 

 

More noticeable gap, rust-colored "inside" edge. 

 

Do i worry?

post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowsgomooh View Post

 

Do i worry?

 

How old are they?  How much have they been ground?  I'd be far more worried if that was right under the boot where the edge is under the most pressure.  At the tips beyond where the ski even touches I wouldn't worry at all.  But, if the ski only had a week or two .. or even just this season of use I'd probably be taking them back where I bought them.  After year or two, pfft, just ski them and if they fail, replace them. 

post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 

 

How old are they?  How much have they been ground?  I'd be far more worried if that was right under the boot where the edge is under the most pressure.  At the tips beyond where the ski even touches I wouldn't worry at all.  But, if the ski only had a week or two .. or even just this season of use I'd probably be taking them back where I bought them.  After year or two, pfft, just ski them and if they fail, replace them. 

 

Actually they are pretty much spot on a year old now. And they haven't had much more than 20-30 days on snow, as my season has started pretty late this year and i used my cheater gs skis for spring conditions last year.

 

Very light grind once.

post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowsgomooh View Post
 

 

Actually they are pretty much spot on a year old now. And they haven't had much more than 20-30 days on snow, as my season has started pretty late this year and i used my cheater gs skis for spring conditions last year.

 

Very light grind once.


If there really is a small gap forming between the edge and the p-tex you could have a shop try to fill it with metal grip.  But, if the gap is microscopic or just pretty small they might have to cut away some base material to create enough space for any repair to take hold..  probably do more harm than good.  Take them back where you bought them and see what they say. Some ski manufacturers will warranty a defect for two years depending on the circumstances.  I have no idea what Rossi's current warranty is..

post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 


If there really is a small gap forming between the edge and the p-tex you could have a shop try to fill it with metal grip.  But, if the gap is microscopic or just pretty small they might have to cut away some base material to create enough space for any repair to take hold..  probably do more harm than good.  Take them back where you bought them and see what they say. Some ski manufacturers will warranty a defect for two years depending on the circumstances.  I have no idea what Rossi's current warranty is..

 

Gotcha. Rossi runs two years, just checked. I was forced to buy them online as i live in a very flat and green country, but the webshop also has physcial shops and has pretty good reputation, i'll try and see what they say.

 

To me the construction seems pretty sketchy?? I mean, the metal expanding and contracting would result in a gap no matter what when it's metal against wood, but i just don't understand how one is supposed to accept a gap like that, when it will be a moisture absorber :d ??

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs