or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › East Coast: Washington DC. Where do you go to Ski?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

East Coast: Washington DC. Where do you go to Ski?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Hey guys, if you are near or visiting DC for the a while.. What are the best places to go and Ski?

 

I've been to Whitetail and Liberty, which are an hour drive give or take.. And both are merely Okay... The mountains are mostly just big hills and the slopes are rather short... Also very crowded most of the time. I had to watch my back to not get run over by out of control snowboarders blasting rap music through their wearable boomboxes (serious.)

 

I've heard some good stuff about west-VA, but I'd like to hear it from you guys... The true enthusiasts. 

 

So what are the options over here? 

post #2 of 11
Have you tried Roundtop? Owned by the same company as whitetail and Liberty. Condition wise, it is considered to be the best of the 3 (because the way the mtn is facing), also the least crowded because it is further from DC (of these 3).

Snowshoe in WV is good but the drive can be horrible because of the curvy mtn roads. Canaan and timberline are also in WV and they are good alternative to snowshoe (because the drive is better).
Terrain wise, snowshoe is considered to be the best in SE. I can't comment on Canaan or timberline because I haven't been to either.
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosphenytoin View Post

Have you tried Roundtop? Owned by the same company as whitetail and Liberty. Condition wise, it is considered to be the best of the 3 (because the way the mtn is facing), also the least crowded because it is further from DC (of these 3).

Snowshoe in WV is good but the drive can be horrible because of the curvy mtn roads. Canaan and timberline are also in WV and they are good alternative to snowshoe (because the drive is better).
Terrain wise, snowshoe is considered to be the best in SE. I can't comment on Canaan or timberline because I haven't been to either.

Hey there.

 

Yeah I've heard of roundtop also..

 

I'm not sure how much better it'll be than Liberty or Whitetail though.. Its an extra 40 minutes, do you reckon its worth the wait?

 

I've also heard of Snowshoe, so thats the best you can get in the area you think? I'll have to go check it out. It is a 4 hour drive, so it'll have to be a more than one day thing. 


Thanks. 


Edited by diesel47 - 1/27/16 at 7:23pm
post #4 of 11
Check out snowshoe you won't be disappointed. They get a lot of snow mid February to mid March. I have been the past two seasons and conditions were great. They also have two 1500 foot vertical runs with high speed lift servicing them so vertical in a day is no issue.
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioskier View Post

Check out snowshoe you won't be disappointed. They get a lot of snow mid February to mid March. I have been the past two seasons and conditions were great. They also have two 1500 foot vertical runs with high speed lift servicing them so vertical in a day is no issue.

 

 

Damn, awesome to hear. I might have to plan a trip during Feb then...

 

 

I watched some runs through the slopes on youtube. The Black Diamond runs seem pretty tame... Or is that just the video? 

 

Take this for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0NdTpMktJw

 

The slopes seem to be much longer though, which is nice. 


Edited by diesel47 - 1/27/16 at 7:38pm
post #6 of 11
If you are looking for advanced trails, you maybe interested in western territory at snowshoe. Yes snowshoe will be a 3 day trip, like MLK or Presidents' Day wknd. Timberline I heard also has good advanced trails with some tree line skiing (but I've never been there myself). I heard someone skied at Timberline, if you leave at DC around 6 am, you can do a timberline trip in one day.

7 springs in PA is also decent, the drive is also very manageable.
post #7 of 11

Where else are you used to skiing or have you been skiing? Do you ski moguls and trees?

 

Nothing anywhere near DC compares to any actual big mountain skiing. Snowshoe, while bigger than anything else in the mid-Atlantic, would be mid-sized for New England, and small for most of the Western states. 

 

A couple of links to browse through and explore places...

 

http://www.onthesnow.com/northeast/statistics.html

http://www.mountainvertical.com (specifically the mid-Atlantic and Southeast links)

 

Within about 3 hours (or a bit more) drive from DC, you've got :

 

Liberty

Whitetail

Roundtop

Massanutten

Canaan Valley

Timberline

Wisp

Wintergreen

The Homestead

Seven Springs

Hidden Valley

Blue Knob

Bryce Mountain

 

Snowshoe is more like 4-5 hours.

post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 

Where else are you used to skiing or have you been skiing? Do you ski moguls and trees?

 

Nothing anywhere near DC compares to any actual big mountain skiing. Snowshoe, while bigger than anything else in the mid-Atlantic, would be mid-sized for New England, and small for most of the Western states. 

 

A couple of links to browse through and explore places...

 

http://www.onthesnow.com/northeast/statistics.html

http://www.mountainvertical.com (specifically the mid-Atlantic and Southeast links)

 

Within about 3 hours (or a bit more) drive from DC, you've got :

 

Liberty

Whitetail

Roundtop

Massanutten

Canaan Valley

Timberline

Wisp

Wintergreen

The Homestead

Seven Springs

Hidden Valley

Blue Knob

Bryce Mountain

 

Snowshoe is more like 4-5 hours.

 

Wow, some great information there... I'm guessing you live in the area.

 

I have to sit down and take a look through all those reviews and find some good places. Thanks for the links! 

 

 
What are your top places usually? 
post #9 of 11

I may get blasted for this - get a flight from Reagan or Dulles to SLC.  SLC airport to Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, or Solitude is literally one hour or less till your ski boots are on.  Get a cheap hotel at the base of the Canyons that comes with a breakfast.  Go for at least four days.  I don't think you will regret it.  

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmergauerTele View Post
 

I may get blasted for this - get a flight from Reagan or Dulles to SLC.  SLC airport to Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, or Solitude is literally one hour or less till your ski boots are on.  Get a cheap hotel at the base of the Canyons that comes with a breakfast.  Go for at least four days.  I don't think you will regret it.  

 

Why would you get blasted? That's an awesome plan!! :) .....  IF you have the money and time. 

 

Local to DC, for me, Whitetail tends to be the go-to :

 

-- It's got a bit more vert (~900 feet on the blue runs) than a lot of places

-- The blues are also served by a HSQ

-- There are a couple of nice black diamond runs on their own lift, so it doesn't get as crowded

-- If you're into moguls, they also have a long black bump run (that I fell my way down 1 time)

 

But I like variety, so I bounce around between places - Whitetail, Roundtop, Liberty, and Massanutten mostly as they're the closest for me. The Pennsylvania places on some weekends (like holidays) can get very, very crowded. (Whitetail once ran out of rental equipment a couple of years ago.) But usually it's not too bad except right in the late morning and mid-afternoon.

post #11 of 11
This run is widow maker on snowshoe basin. The 1500 foot vertical runs are on western territory side. Cupp run is a great cruiser that you can pick up some great speed. Very fun and has some steep sections. If it were western resort it would be a blue. Shays is a nice run as well cruiser at the top and after a little bit of a run out is Shays revenge which is a nice steep head wall. They typically groom half and let bumps form on the other half. It is around 28% grade so gives you a nice steep section.

The last two years I went they had 20 plus inches the week prior to arrival and another foot over the weekend I was there. First trip they had an 18 inch dump over night. Trust me you will have fun. Nothing that is like a western resort but honestly if you can't enjoy snowshoe for a weekend you shouldn't consider yourself a skier. Especially if you hit it after snowfall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel47 View Post


Damn, awesome to hear. I might have to plan a trip during Feb then...


I watched some runs through the slopes on youtube. The Black Diamond runs seem pretty tame... Or is that just the video? 

Take this for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0NdTpMktJw

The slopes seem to be much longer though, which is nice. 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › East Coast: Washington DC. Where do you go to Ski?