or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ask the Boot Guys › Narrow foot/ High arch/ Small calf... suggestions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Narrow foot/ High arch/ Small calf... suggestions?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Hi,

 

I'm having the worst time finding a boot that fits; half the problem is I do not know of a good boot fitter in my area. I've been to a number of stores and have yet to find a boot that fits. I've been put in boots ranging from 26.5 to 24.5 from narrow to wide and every store just seems like they are trying to convince me that whatever boot they have in stock is the boot I need. 

 

 

I have Narrow and Bony feet with High Arches and a Small Calf Muscle.

 

 

Here are my stats,

 

Left Foot:

 Length: 250mm

 Width: 90mm

 

Right Foot:

  Length: 245mm

  Width: 88mm

 

High: 5'10

 

Weight: 125lbs

 

Calf: 12 1/2 inches. The thickest part of my calf is higher; I've been told my leg shape looks more like a man's then a woman's.

 

High Arches/Instep: I also have a bony bone on top which causes a lot of boots to pinch in that area. 

 

 

Other information:

 

Poor circulation: My feet are always cold, so I'm hoping to get a boot with warmer liners.

 

Ski Skill level: Advanced Intermediate. I like to ski groomed runs fast.

 

Flex: I'm thinking around a 90 flex.

 

Ankle dorsiflexion: Is limited.

 

 

 

Any boot suggestion would be welcome!

Thanks!

post #2 of 12

have you read this?

 

http://www.epicski.com/a/boot-fitting-which-boot-will-work-for-me

 

 

 

looks to me like a narrow boot, should work,  look at some 95-98mm boots,   they might be called "race boots"  dont be scared,  just means they are narrow.

 

and 90flex seems a bit soft for a fast, hardpack skier

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 


Thank you for the link!

 

I like to ski fast, but I wouldn't say I ski fast like a racer. My worry is with my limited dorsiflexion that a 100+ would be to stiff of a boot for me.  I tried a 110 flex on and I couldn't even flex it in the store and that's supposedly when the shell is the softest. The boot guy at the store said that I needed a softer boot.


Edited by EpicWinter - 1/13/16 at 7:10am
post #4 of 12

Get a boot that fits and its easy to make a stiff boot softer for most good fitters. 

post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 

I had no idea that a stiffer boot could be made softer. Thank you.

post #6 of 12

where are you based, we may be able to suggest someone who can help, a stiffer boot is often a good thing for someone with limited dorsiflexion, the boot also should be fairly upright so that it doesn't use all your available range of motion just to stand in it, the stiffer boot can also then allow any motion you do have to be transmitted to the ski (and can be softened as has been said before if required)

post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 

I'm in Southern Idaho. To be more specific, around Twin Falls Idaho.

post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEM View Post
 

where are you based, we may be able to suggest someone who can help, a stiffer boot is often a good thing for someone with limited dorsiflexion, the boot also should be fairly upright so that it doesn't use all your available range of motion just to stand in it, the stiffer boot can also then allow any motion you do have to be transmitted to the ski (and can be softened as has been said before if required)

 

I'm learning so much; thank you for taking the time to post.

post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 

A another question: since I don't have short legs and muscular calves like most women tend to have, should I be looking at men's boots?

post #10 of 12

"Foo" is a French term pronounced "Foo"--- and then you always say it twice--- "Foo Foo":cool

 

Women's boots are men's boots with a lot of "Foo Foo". You get my drift;).

 

So it will make little difference if they are men's or women's except for the color and fuzz.

 

You should fit into a 24.5 shell ok in  a narrow lasted boot---- a 95mm lasted boot would be that wide in a size 26.5 but will get narrower by 2mm per size as you go down to a 25.5 and then 2mm more as you go to a 24.5.  so somewhere around 91mm in most brands. You might be able to take a 91mm shell and put in an Intuition liner and have them heat molded to help with the fit.  Intuition liners are warm.:)

 

mike

post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketsc View Post
 

"Foo" is a French term pronounced "Foo"--- and then you always say it twice--- "Foo Foo":cool

 

Women's boots are men's boots with a lot of "Foo Foo". You get my drift;).

 

So it will make little difference if they are men's or women's except for the color and fuzz.

 

You should fit into a 24.5 shell ok in  a narrow lasted boot---- a 95mm lasted boot would be that wide in a size 26.5 but will get narrower by 2mm per size as you go down to a 25.5 and then 2mm more as you go to a 24.5.  so somewhere around 91mm in most brands. You might be able to take a 91mm shell and put in an Intuition liner and have them heat molded to help with the fit.  Intuition liners are warm.:)

 

mike

 

Foo Foo boots that's exactly what I think when I see women's boots. Also I think why do they all have to be pink. :rolleyes  I've asked stores about men's boots, but they are reluctant to put me in them which I don't really understand.

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicWinter View Post
 

 

Foo Foo boots that's exactly what I think when I see women's boots. Also I think why do they all have to be pink. :rolleyes  I've asked stores about men's boots, but they are reluctant to put me in them which I don't really understand.


Yer my kind of Gal:ski. but then Pink is a gals color---just sayin!:D

 

mike

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ask the Boot Guys
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ask the Boot Guys › Narrow foot/ High arch/ Small calf... suggestions?