There is way to much doom and gloom in this tread. This is a lot like the SIA article that was designed to shock despite the real facts. See: http://www.epicski.com/t/132276/150-ski-resorts-that-wont-make-it#post_1827553
As for skier visit and other details, there are lots of hard stats, such as:
Skier visit trends in US for last 25 years. (fairly flat or slightly growing)
Lots of interesting facts in the link below including:
- 54% of snow sports participants make more than $75K a year.
- Skiers over age 45 make up only 18% of skiers
- 22% of skiers are from the Midwest
- MN, MI and IL are all in the top 10 in number of skiers by state.
- per capita, more people in MN ski than in Utah
There is a ton of additional reseach out there..