Groups always have used the option to break up and instead use singles lines and join back up at the top. The numbers of groups that do so is self regulating. With short maze lines is not an issue. When maze lines get longer, if the singles line is considerable shorter and skiers are impatient, say on fresh powder days, well then yes some will make the obvious wise choice. On the other hand when the singles line is not that much shorter a wait, and or people are in no hurry say on a ho hum day, they are likely to forgo breaking up their group.
Given the thread, watched the lift maze grouping more closely yesterday and there were few chairs inefficiently loading a quad and two triples I used. In some cases that was due to good work by a team of lift attendants. Sometimes an attendant watched from a distance outside the corral while encouraging people to pair up merging into groups on their own. That worked well and reflected a majority of skiers and boarders with civil considerate attitudes.
I think lift etiquette could be improved on lifts by some simple signs at corral mazes that listed some basic things. Feel free to tweak or add to the below.
Lift and corral maze behavior:
- Be friendly and considerate.
- Have lift tickets and passes out and visible for attendant viewing or scanning.
- With an attendant present, follow their directions to efficiently merge and load chairs.
- Take care of loose gear before reaching the next to load block.
- Groups move forward together in a line towards the next to load block so singles know how many need to be added.
- Do not split up groups moving towards loading.
- Groups move promptly towards loading block to load a chair together.
- Do not duck under ropes. Enter mazes from open lanes.
- Approach lift corral lanes safely at slow enough speeds to not run into others or their gear.
- Do not allow friends who arrive later to join into groups already in line. Wait for them outside the maze before grouping into a line.
- Arriving singles go to end of lines thus don't cut in with friends already in line.
- Singles unless otherwise directed by an attendant, independently merge with groups to fill chairs.
- When lift lines are lengthening without an attendant present, PLEASE merge up with other groups and singles to efficiently fill chairs.