or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Lake Tahoe Trip - Need Advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lake Tahoe Trip - Need Advice - Page 4

post #91 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytseng View Post

 

From a pure valuation perspective, Squaw passholders get 50% off demo rentals midweek, so from that perspective it is NOT worth it (because someone else is getting the exact same product for half price and they are willing to sell that product at half price).

 

Does anyone know if this discount applies to Mountain Collective pass holders?  I was surprised to find out MCP works for the 10% food discount, seems like it just gets treated like any other pass to an extent.

post #92 of 111
not sure! probably not by the book, but sometimes it's up to the shop guy and if the boss is in a good mood or not.

Because it's for all passholders on a weekday, it's not that it's really that secret or exclusive of a deal. thousands can get it, but you're not one of those thousands.

I'm sure you could just ask around outside and buy a guy a beer in exchange to swipe his pass. (that's still a little bendy of the rules, but they could at least get the computer to ring it up with that)


Call or email to find out?
post #93 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushski View Post
 

 

Sugarbowl and Homewood are both good bets if the bigger places have windhold on upper lifts. 

 

 

Good point about Sugarbowl, which often gets overlooked for storm skiing. In the recent storms SB consistently had more terrain open than SV or AM, and certainly more challenging terrain than NS or Homewood. It is harder to get to, especially if old 40 is closed:

 

 which is often the case in storms. And there is the small risk of 80 closing and stranding you there.

post #94 of 111

This has been a fantastic epoch of to chain or not to chain! What if someone is taking a shuttle from Reno airport and is staying close to Heavenly? Should a person be worried about getting back to the airport? 

If you are staying near Heavenly with NO CAR any tips on a place to stay? Thanks!

post #95 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjayflo View Post

This has been a fantastic epoch of to chain or not to chain! What if someone is taking a shuttle from Reno airport and is staying close to Heavenly? Should a person be worried about getting back to the airport? 
If you are staying near Heavenly with NO CAR any tips on a place to stay? Thanks!

if you're taking the reno shuttle in, it stops at all the stateline casino hotels. The majority of which are right near the gondola and just within a few blocks radius, plus lakeside which is just a bit down the road.

There are a lot of cheaper accomodations around there. Look on a map of the hotels, you can see the cluster of them right at stateline, just a 3block radius around the gondola.
https://www.google.com/maps/search/hotels+in+south+lake+tahoe/@38.9581461,-119.942592,16.25z
So any of these are fine for you, they all are walking distance from each other, and walkable to the ski lift without the bluego skishuttle, (or use shoes and locker them at the gondola base if you hate walking in ski boots).

When you leave, do it from the last hotel on the list, (montbleau?) to save you 30-45 minutes. You'll have to lug all your stuff there, but it's only a block or 2.

If you put yourself in the hands of the shuttle service, you don't need to worry about chains. There is always the chance the shuttle will be late or break down or whatever, but to go to reno, it doesn't go over the super busy main passes so should be fine. If it is that bad, there is the chance that your flight could be cancelled too from the weather. If it's snowing, just call the day you are departing to both to your airline and the shuttle to get reassuring words.

That is the easiest way. Post what you come up with and i'll reply with what I think that'll be like tripwise for you.

You can really stay at any accomodations, you'll just need to get another leg to get a cab or alternate transpo from the shuttle dropoff to/from your lodging to the shuttle stop. Could make sense for a longer trip.
post #96 of 111

Thanks raytseng, oldgoat, and all for your input.  I had a great trip at Squaw Valley the week of 1/25/16.  Was supposed to go to Mammoth this past week and they got 3 feet over the weekend, but I can't complain.  Squaw was fantastic and I'll probably come back in March with my 6yo.  

I flew in to Reno/Tahoe and drove up via 80.  Was wet but warm enough to not worry about snow/ice.  

 

I rented Demo's from Tahoe Daves (go online 2 days in advance and get 20% off, but if you didn't just ask for 10% online discount on their website).  I got Blizzard Bonafides per the recommendations here and I LOVED them!  I generally use 78mm a front side carver ski on the east coast but these 100mm Bonafides carved really well and were easy to manage.  They powered through the chop, crud, and easy enough to work through steeps and moguls.  I thought they required a lot of power and more effort to carve than I am used to but it was manageable.  

 

The conditions were overall pretty nice.  Weekend was 12" fresh powder but by the time I got there on Tuesday it was heavily tracked out and some refreeze due to warm weather (40-50 degrees and sunny).  Still found some soft stuff off Olympic Lady on the north facing slopes.  Headwall had snow blowing in and made it really nice and soft.  I also went down The Slot which had a small cornice entry and pretty steep.  Scariest thing I ever done in conditions like that (stiff hard pack moguls).  Granite chief area was a lot of fun.  That chair is super slow though. KT22 had so many good runs.  This older local showed me some great soft runs on west face, moseley's, and the Chute.  The only area I did not explore much was Silverado area.  Snow was too hard and crusted.  

 

I was amazed at the diversity of conditions, slopes, and snow at Squaw.  It kept me very entertained for 3 days straight.  Unfortunately the last day was a rain out but I had a great 3 days.  At about 25-30k vertical a day, my legs needed a break anyways.  

 

thanks for the info everyone!  

post #97 of 111
Sorry to jump on the end of another thread but am in SLT at the minute (arrived yesterday) we are here until Friday and then drive round to Squaw and stay there until Tuesday.

I see there is a decent storm coming through this week (hopefully!) with high winds forecast. Will many lifts manage to open in those winds? If not will the likes of Heavenly extend our 2 out of 3 day tickets so they work on Thursday)

I managed to screw up my car rental deal from SFO so am in a 2 WD SUV although with S + M tyres. Will this be OK to drive round to Sqauw on Friday? Depends to a point how much snow we get but do they do a decent job of snow clearance on the 89?

Thanks in advance.
post #98 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmoo View Post

Sorry to jump on the end of another thread but am in SLT at the minute (arrived yesterday) we are here until Friday and then drive round to Squaw and stay there until Tuesday.

I see there is a decent storm coming through this week (hopefully!) with high winds forecast. Will many lifts manage to open in those winds? If not will the likes of Heavenly extend our 2 out of 3 day tickets so they work on Thursday)

I managed to screw up my car rental deal from SFO so am in a 2 WD SUV although with S + M tyres. Will this be OK to drive round to Sqauw on Friday? Depends to a point how much snow we get but do they do a decent job of snow clearance on the 89?

Thanks in advance.

 

You are asking questions that no one knows the answer to, until the storm hits. That being said, it doesn't look like the biggerst storm ever and if I was you in a two wheel drive car I would go around the East shore and through Incline Village rather then mess with 89 in a two wheel drive rig. Good luck.. 

post #99 of 111
The only queation you can get an answet to is the business one from heavenly by talking with them. But it is like 3 hypotheticals all stacked up:a storm comes, heavenly partially or fully shuts down, and you are so dissatisfied with the partial that is available to you, that you're going to push for an extension.

Here is a tip. Maybe try just live in the moment and enjoy your holiday. You can't do anything about it now so why worry, you might have more fun if you stay in the moment. Just handle whatever comes your way when it comes
post #100 of 111
Thanks for the advice on living in the moment I'd never thought of doing that before.

Am just trying to plan what to do and when. We are planning to go to Sierra tomorrow but don't want to do that if our pre paid 2/3 tickets at heavenly are effectively only going to worth using today and tomorrow.
post #101 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmoo View Post

Thanks for the advice on living in the moment I'd never thought of doing that before.

Am just trying to plan what to do and when. We are planning to go to Sierra tomorrow but don't want to do that if our pre paid 2/3 tickets at heavenly are effectively only going to worth using today and tomorrow.
Then hit heavenly today and tomorrow
Problem solved
post #102 of 111

Just an FYI, but there is a shuttle bus from Heavenly to Kirkwood on Mondays and Wednesdays and to Northstar on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

 

http://www.skiheavenly.com/plan-your-trip/ground-transportation/shuttle-to-northstar-kirkwood.aspx

 

$20/pp rd trip.  If you don't want to risk the drive, the bus should still run unless it is crazy bad weather (not in the forecast).

 

Northstar is known to stay open when most of the other Tahoe areas have wind holds, but there is no guarantee.

 

Have fun, we hit Tahoe next Sat thru Thurs and looks like spring skiing will be early for us!

post #103 of 111

Oh, Heavenly tickets are honored at Kirkwood, and if you have a 3 day ticket (or more) you can get 1 day at Northstar.

 

If there are windholds expected at Heavenly, and you don't have a 3 day ticket, try to talk to the ticket office there about getting that day at Northstar.  They do have the ability to allow that, just depends on who you talk to.

post #104 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Big Dumps View Post
 

Oh, Heavenly tickets are honored at Kirkwood, and if you have a 3 day ticket (or more) you can get 1 day at Northstar.

 

If there are windholds expected at Heavenly, and you don't have a 3 day ticket, try to talk to the ticket office there about getting that day at Northstar.  They do have the ability to allow that, just depends on who you talk to.


WTH? Is this true? If it is, dammit! I just paid for 2 days at Heavenly an hour ago!

post #105 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmoo View Post
SUV although with S + M tyres.

 

I'm curious where would one might buy such tires? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm asking for a friend, of course.

post #106 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
 


WTH? Is this true? If it is, dammit! I just paid for 2 days at Heavenly an hour ago!

 

 

cut and pasted from Heavenly site:

 

What You Get With A Heavenly Lift Ticket

A lift ticket at Heavenly is about more than just skiing.

Sure- You’ll have access to our 97 runs and 4,800 acres of skiable terrain, but you’ll also have an admission ticket to the Unbuckle après ski party, a free Epic Mix account, access to on mountain dining, and a seat on the Gondola for the most beautiful site seeing ride in Tahoe.
 

In addition to saving you money, a multi day lift ticket to Heavenly gets you access to other Vail Resorts properties around Lake Tahoe.

A 3 day ticket can be used as you please at Heavenly and Kirkwood and one of the three days can be used at Northstar. Additional days on your ticket give you more access to each resort.  

With the most terrain in Tahoe, there’s always more exploring to do at Heavenly. But if you’d like, you can visit our friends with your multi day Heavenly lift ticket.

 

 

 

Just booked our shuttle from Heavenly to Northstar for the 23rd. Not sure if we will do Kirkwood or not...

post #107 of 111

Also, like I suggested to iainmoo, try calling the ticket office.

 

I would bet dollars to donuts they would allow you to upgrade to a 3 day ticket if you want to change your purchase, especially this close to making that purchase.

post #108 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post

I'm curious where would one might buy such tires? 






I'm asking for a friend, of course.

Ha ha specialist back street tyre company. They come with studs ;-)
post #109 of 111

The storm won't hit until Wednesday. You should be fine on Tuesday. Our weather can be predicted in advance.

post #110 of 111

snippets of today's weather report:

* TIMING: A MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW WILL BEGIN THIS AFTERNOON... BECOMING ALL SNOW TONIGHT. THE HEAVIEST SNOW IS EXPECTED BETWEEN 10 PM AND 8 AM WHERE SNOWFALL RATES COULD BRIEFLY REACH 2 TO 3 INCHES PER HOUR.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: 12 TO 20 INCHES ABOVE 7000 FEET WITH 4 TO 10 INCHES BETWEEN 6000 AND 7000 FEET... INCLUDING LAKE TAHOE. 

  • .....* IMPACTS: SNOW LEVELS WILL FALL RAPIDLY WITH ROADS QUICKLY BECOMING SNOW COVERED. SLOW TRAVEL AND CHAIN CONTROLS ARE LIKELY.
post #111 of 111
Thanks for the Intel. We went to kirkwood yesterday which was super hot and quiet. Didn't bother with today hopefully the winds will die down a bit tomorrow.

The lady at heavenly said they would roll out lift pass to the next day if we had wanted to use it and the mountain was partly closed so long it hadn't been scanned. They wouldn't give a refund though which I'm not surprised about.

Thanks to ske bum, I hadn't thought of driving the other way round the lake. Makes sense though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Lake Tahoe Trip - Need Advice