or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Heat Molding for Ski Boots
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Heat Molding for Ski Boots

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Hello all,

 

Got new ski boots for my wife and me. This is not a common occurrence - last time we got new boots was about 15 years ago. So both sets (both Atomic) can be heat molded. I am not sure if that is necessary or even if it will hurt things more than help - boots fit fine straight out of the box. I am thinking the molding will happen naturally with time. Anyway the shop where we got the boots does this molding for free - I was wondering if we should do it or not bother. Any advice will be appreciated!

post #2 of 10

It normally takes a few outings to get your boot liners to mold to your feet.  My heat molding it speeds that process up.  If you don't ski very often it might not be a bad idea. I see no reason not to since the process doesn't take long.

post #3 of 10

I believe the OP is talking about heat molding the boot shell. 

 

Heat molding the boot shell will give you an incredible fit - if the boot guy know what he is doing.

It will fix minor alignment issues also.  

 

P.S.  I'm not sure a boot fitting fine right out of the box is a good thing. :eek 

post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGrump View Post
 

I believe the OP is talking about heat molding the boot shell. 

 

Heat molding the boot shell will give you an incredible fit - if the boot guy know what he is doing.

It will fix minor alignment issues also.  

 

P.S.  I'm not sure a boot fitting fine right out of the box is a good thing. :eek 

Are you thinking of the Atomic Memory Fit for heat molding shell, cuff, and liner?  Website says "Expansion can be up to 6mm in total forefoot width and up 10mm in total ankle width."

 

https://www.atomic.com/en-us/memory-fit

post #5 of 10

I got a pair heat Salomons last year with the heat moldable shell.  Wow, just incredible.  They are actually not uncomfortable. 

Do it!

post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by marznc View Post

 

Are you thinking of the Atomic Memory Fit for heat molding shell, cuff, and liner?  Website says "Expansion can be up to 6mm in total forefoot width and up 10mm in total ankle width."

 

https://www.atomic.com/en-us/memory-fit

 

Atomic, Salomon and Fischer all offer heat molded boots. I believe Atomic & Salomon share similar technology since they are sister companies. The Fischer process is a bit different but if examined closely there are more similarities than differences  

 

If done properly, the heat molding process can work miracles. A few years ago, my son needed a 140 flex boot with a 104mm wide last. A really rare creature. My boot fitter fitted him into a pair of Fischer Vac 130. He couldn't even fit his foot into the shell without the liner prior to the heat molding. We still have to remold the boot at the start of every season since he was in his late teens and his foot is still changing.  

 

The heat molding of the shell provides a great fitting boot. I'm in my third pair and I'll find it difficult to go back to a regular boot.   

 

I have also seen a a Stratton mountain School racer being fitted in a heat molded Atomic race boot standing on a Fischer Vacuum Machine with Fischer pressure bags. As I said, more similarities than differences.    

 

My experience is that the boot fitters doing the molding is very critical to the success (or failure) of the process. 

post #7 of 10

I'm not positive about this but I have heard that when you heat up the liner you are making the heel pocket bigger because you have stretched it to fit your heel.Rossignol's new Allspeed Elite 130 purposely makes the heel pocket not be able to be effected by the heat while other parts of the boot will soften with heat, maybe something to think about.

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking9 View Post
 

I'm not positive about this but I have heard that when you heat up the liner you are making the heel pocket bigger because you have stretched it to fit your heel.Rossignol's new Allspeed Elite 130 purposely makes the heel pocket not be able to be effected by the heat while other parts of the boot will soften with heat, maybe something to think about.

You're mixing apples and beerkegs here.  Heating the liner is not the same as heating the shell and nobody makes a liner that is not effected by heat.

 

I work in a shop that sells both Atomic and Salomon as well as Head and Lange.  As a matter of course we mold virtually every shell when we sell Atomic or Salomon.  If someone has any problematic areas on their foot, we will put padding on that area prior to molding the shell.  We also pretty routinely use toe cups for provide a bit more wiggle room for their toes.  Head also has some boots that are heat moldable and I just molded a pair for my feet today, Head Hammer 110.  It was a very good tight fit out of the box and molding the shells just made it even better.

 

Although Atomic and Salomon are sister companies and the boots come out of the same factory, the plastic is not the same.  We heat Salomon shells for 10 minutes and Atomic shells for 5 minutes.

 

Liners will self mold over time, shells do not.  Molding the shell does not hurt the shell or shorten its life.  If you buy a boot with a heat moldable shell, there is no reason not to have the shells molded.

 

My question to the OP is did the shop do a shell fit?  If  they didn't, you need to go back and have them do a shell fit.  That is the only way to know if the boots are the right size.

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcyclist View Post
 

You're mixing apples and beerkegs here.  Heating the liner is not the same as heating the shell and nobody makes a liner that is not effected by heat.

 

I work in a shop that sells both Atomic and Salomon as well as Head and Lange.  As a matter of course we mold virtually every shell when we sell Atomic or Salomon.  If someone has any problematic areas on their foot, we will put padding on that area prior to molding the shell.  We also pretty routinely use toe cups for provide a bit more wiggle room for their toes.  Head also has some boots that are heat moldable and I just molded a pair for my feet today, Head Hammer 110.  It was a very good tight fit out of the box and molding the shells just made it even better.

 

Although Atomic and Salomon are sister companies and the boots come out of the same factory, the plastic is not the same.  We heat Salomon shells for 10 minutes and Atomic shells for 5 minutes.

 

Liners will self mold over time, shells do not.  Molding the shell does not hurt the shell or shorten its life.  If you buy a boot with a heat moldable shell, there is no reason not to have the shells molded.

 

My question to the OP is did the shop do a shell fit?  If  they didn't, you need to go back and have them do a shell fit.  That is the only way to know if the boots are the right size.

 

 

Mtrcyclist. where is your shop?  Name, address, phone #

post #10 of 10

Shop is SkiBoot Rx, 923A Broadwater Square, Billings, MT.  406-702-1530, Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/theskiboot/?fref=ts 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Heat Molding for Ski Boots