Just a list of who is planning to attend. Please keep discussion of the event itself in the main thread
1) KevinF, all four days
I'm torn. I was hoping it would be around the weekend of March 19/20 because I have some good friends skiing Stowe with their club that weekend. So now I have to decide whether I want to show my buddies around Stowe or ski with bears...unless I can manage to take an entire week or bounce back and forth from here to there for both weekends.
Have to put me down as undecided but I will block the dates in my calendar so nobody books me for any work or band gigs.
A lot depends on the weather - whether or not there is snow. I remember not so many seasons ago we skied some pretty marginal conditions in mid-March. MRG's sign board said "Ski it while you can." I think we were there on one of their last open days right around the ides of March. Last year it was still mid-winter up there right at the end of March.
Stowe was not skimping on snowmaking throughout January. i.e., trails with snowmaking are buried deep. They will survive into the last week of March. I don't think there is any natural-snow-only skiing anywhere in New England.
I was asking @Slow Eddie (our Smuggs guide) how Smuggs is holding up and currently they are holding on as well as can be expected at this point.
I imagine snowmaking for both areas is largely finished for the season.
Barring an epic meltdown, I think it's safe to say that both areas will remain open into late March. Prospects for big snowfalls appear to be limited in February... Once early March rolls around I'll re-evaluate based on the long-term forecasts (specifically the MRG weather blog) and I'll put out a schedule.
There will be a gathering. What will be left is anybody's guess. Early retirements to the Matterhorn bar could be a possibility. Between now and then? Pray for snow.
Still beaming clear on my radar but timing is in flux.Never been to Smugs so that's a draw. I'll see about a lodging deal soon. I might be bringing 3 others besides my family. Let it snow! At the very least we will still be sugaring.
I'll take skiing sugar or slush!
Currently the forecast is for some warmth over the next couple days and again next week. Stowe trails with snowmaking should survive ok... natural snow terrain is probably not going to be an option.
For those who might not have noticed in the regular gathering discussion thread, I broke my arm over the weekend so I won't be able to attend. Will those of you who are still planning to attend please update your status with planned dates, etc so that we know who to look for?
I think everybody else put firm dates down above.
Thanks! I'll miss skiing with you guys.
I made a hotel reservation (Stowehof) to ski F,S,S,M -- have to have faith. My (non-skiing) wife is coming along, hopes to finally meet some of you jokers.
Tip - booking.com is usually cheaper, with more liberal policies, than going direct to the property.
Robin and I are still planning to attend... We may only make Saturday and Sunday but if conditions improve have Friday and Monday open as well.
Still have 2 MCP days to burn at Stowe and a Warren Miller certificate for Smuggs I think.
Long range not so good for next 2 weeks according to: http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/
Conditions at Jay can be very similar to conditions at Stowe and they can be very different. If they were significantly better at Jay I would ski there... I know it pretty well but won't go unless there is fresh snow.
I've been looking at Easter week in northern VT to appease some friends who can't afford a flight to Denver. Long range forecasts seem to suggest Jay is typically 15 degrees colder than Stowe. Figured I'd steer everyone that way then try to plan for a road trip down for the NE Gathering one day while we're up there. You think Stowe (or Smugggler's) would be better than Jay, in the absence of fresh snow, regardless of possibly (a little) warmer temps there?
My sister is in SLC for most of March for work, so I moved some of my vacation days to take a trip out there to visit her and ski. As such, I'll be probably be at Smuggs on Saturday and Sunday, but will be working on Friday and Monday.