or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ask the Boot Guys › Should I buy expert pro race boots even though I'm an advanced piste skiier?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I buy expert pro race boots even though I'm an advanced piste skiier?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I bought a pair of boots last year that were far too big and too flexy.

Having learnt somewhat from that lesson I picked up a pair of Atomic M110 boots in Austria last winter and they are a much better fit, and heat shaped with stock liners. Within the 3mm (I think) side to side (but not brushing the sides of my feet as might be ideal) and perfect fore aft behind the heel. I have got 4 solid days with about 40,000 ft vertical drop on them, comfortable with no real issues, no heel lift, other than a tad too flexy compared with my ideal boot, but no problem considering I had years of rentals due to living too far from the mountains. I wanted some even lower volume boots, but didn't have the money, but was stuck because rentals were huge. My feet are approx 29.2cm x 100mm. I'm 6ft and 85kg (187 lbs).

My issue is this my feet seem uber low volume and the boots I think although use-able are still just a bit too big. Could I get away with a 5mm volume reducing foot bed or is that just putting a band-aid on when I really need stitches? I'm upping my paltry week to ten days a year (love to do more but can't) so I could save up for race boots for next season. Is that a worthwhile investment or are there other reasonably priced low volume boots or are there other boot mod options that are worth a try? Are race boots even the right boot given my level of experience?

Many thanks in advance!
Edited by Lewn777 - 12/7/15 at 3:49am
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewn777 View Post


My issue is this my feet seem uber low volume and the boots I think although use-able are still just a bit too big. Could I get away with a 5mm volume reducing foot bed or is that just putting a band-aid on when I really need stitches? I'm upping my paltry week to ten days a year (love to do more but can't) so I could save up for race boots for next season. Is that a worthwhile investment or are there other reasonably priced low volume boots or are there other boot mod options that are worth a try? Are race boots even the right boot given my level of experience?

Many thanks in advance!

a 5mm shim will raise you up, and might help with vertical play in a boot, but the boot is still too wide (and maybe too long)

 

a boot that fits you is the correct solution, and this MIGHT be marketed as a "race" boot.     if the boot you find is too stiff, easy to make it softer (just like its very hard to make a big boot smaller)

post #3 of 11

You mentioned your feet were 29.2---what size boots did you purchase??

 

mike

post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketsc View Post
 

You mentioned your feet were 29.2---what size boots did you purchase??

 

mike


29.0. Although it seems from looking underneath the shell is used for both 29.0 and 29.5.

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
 

a 5mm shim will raise you up, and might help with vertical play in a boot, but the boot is still too wide (and maybe too long)

 

a boot that fits you is the correct solution, and this MIGHT be marketed as a "race" boot.     if the boot you find is too stiff, easy to make it softer (just like its very hard to make a big boot smaller)


I'm sure I have gotten the length right this time. However it's seems the vertical inner height which is too big and possibly the side to side due to my feet being like pencils.

 

I will try a 5mm foot-bed, I'm sure it will help, but longer term I'm going to save up for race boots, and get them modified if need be.

 

However I think these will be perfect. So I'll get saving!

 

 

Maybe these are more practical? Which would be better? I know the FIS 130 are narrower than the PRO 130.

 

post #6 of 11

red boots are 3.78% faster.  get them.

 

or get the boot that fits you the best?

post #7 of 11

Labels such as race are irrelevant.  Get the boot that fits best, if it is a 95mm last, get it.  Then have the flex adjusted.

 

Lou

post #8 of 11
There are plenty of low volume boots that can work that are not race boots..see a boot fitter..
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgMan View Post

There are plenty of low volume boots that can work that are not race boots..see a boot fitter..

Any brands or models spring to mind? :-)

post #10 of 11

If your foot width is less than "C" you need a boot narrower than a 98mm last.  I'd start by having your foot measured.

 

Once that is done it won't matter what the marketing abel is you simply purchase by the last width although I'd recommend working with a shop rather than the approach it feels like you are taking which is to buy online.

 

Lou

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Rosenfeld View Post
 

If your foot width is less than "C" you need a boot narrower than a 98mm last.  I'd start by having your foot measured.

 

Once that is done it won't matter what the marketing abel is you simply purchase by the last width although I'd recommend working with a shop rather than the approach it feels like you are taking which is to buy online.

 

Lou

No, I'm buying in shops. In the past it was get what I can afford or rent. Both options are far from ideal, I had my boots measured and the liners heated in a shop in Austria. The guy was more salesman than boot fitter. I knew that as I wanted something better than what I had. and renting something that would fit wasn't possible.

 

Next time I will go out of my way to get the perfect boot for me. I'll go to a very good recommended boot fitter and buy a 95mm narrow race style boot at 28.5, if that's what the boot fitter recommends. I know this will cost about $1000 dollars so I'm saving.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ask the Boot Guys
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ask the Boot Guys › Should I buy expert pro race boots even though I'm an advanced piste skiier?