or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Early Jan Ski Trip [blue/black in CO, WY, UT; flying from TX]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Early Jan Ski Trip [blue/black in CO, WY, UT; flying from TX]

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

I would like to get some opinions on a good ski resort for January 6th thru the 13th. I'm going with my wife and she will mostly stick to the blue terrain and I will also with the addition of blacks. I've been to steamboat and breck in the past but would like to try somewhere new. I know it's early season so I'm concerned about the lack of snow. The things I like are detailed below. 

 

1) A good ski town like breck.

2) A lot of blue terrain.

3) Powder.

 

I was thinking about Park City... Thoughts? I would like to choose between Colorado, Wyoming or Utah.  

post #2 of 11

You can never go wrong with Vail. If you get lucky you might get a dump and ya sure wount ski all the runs in a week. Good ski school for the wife (if she wants) lots of blues for her to ski for her and lots of challenge for you, ya just need to go looking for it.

I would also suggest Whistler up in Canada in BC. Canadian dollar is weak right now so the 100 a day lift ticket is really only about 70 and that's window price. It is lower elevation so sometimes snow is an issue but at that time of year it should be fine

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

Thank you for responding. I'll look into Vail. Whistler is tempting but my wife isn't very fond of flying and that's a long Haul from Texas. I really wanted to try UT but I may just book a flight to Denver and pick a resort as is gets closer to late December. 

post #4 of 11
Aspen has directs from Dallas and Houston. Can't get any easier and your wife will love it.
Telluride is another good option.
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin4321 View Post
 

I would like to get some opinions on a good ski resort for January 6th thru the 13th. I'm going with my wife and she will mostly stick to the blue terrain and I will also with the addition of blacks. I've been to steamboat and breck in the past but would like to try somewhere new. I know it's early season so I'm concerned about the lack of snow. The things I like are detailed below. 

 

1) A good ski town like breck.

2) A lot of blue terrain.

3) Powder.

 

I was thinking about Park City... Thoughts? I would like to choose between Colorado, Wyoming or Utah.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin4321 View Post
 

Thank you for responding. I'll look into Vail. Whistler is tempting but my wife isn't very fond of flying and that's a long Haul from Texas. I really wanted to try UT but I may just book a flight to Denver and pick a resort as is gets closer to late December. 

Welcome to EpicSki!  The best way to find threads related to a resort is the list associated with a tag.  I added Aspen/Snowmass and Vail.  Look under Topics Discussed (right hand column).  Scroll down to the bottom if you land on an EpicSki Resort Page.

 

The advantage of Snowmass over Park City is the lack of lift lines.  Do you prefer to rent a car or stay slope side and take free shuttle buses?

post #6 of 11

I believe you were thinking about the right place all along.  Park City lines up with your 3 targets nicely.  Blue groomers abound, with 9990 and Jupiter Bowl to sneak off to when your wife decides to take a break.  This year is the first year the Canyons and Park City are combined, so it's a monster in terms of terrain and lift capacity.  Lift lines aren't too bad, and you can't beat the accessibility from the SLC airport.  You'll miss the Sundance Festival time frame, which doesn't load up the ski hill, just clogs the hotels.

post #7 of 11

The areas mentioned are all excellent.  That being said, study who's been getting hit with storms, and who been missing them.  The El Nino patterns are fairly consistent.  Right now, Vail has received 72" while Park City is at 42", and Jackson Hole has 64"  In fact, Jackson Hole's site has all their competitive areas listed:

http://www.jacksonhole.com/weather-snow-report.html which makes it easier for you to see who's being blessed with snow.

Having enough snow makes the ski trip a whole lot nicer!

Bob

post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 

Thank you all for replying. I went ahead and booked a flight to Denver on Jan 5th through the 12th since the airline had a great sale and I could use my reward points. Now I'm just deciding on a destination. Vail looks great but it's expensive - might be worth it though. 

post #9 of 11

Since you're flying into Denver and you want to pass on Breck, looks like your choices are Vail, Aspen or Steamboat.  Any of the three will be a good choice.

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH View Post
 

Since you're flying into Denver and you want to pass on Breck, looks like your choices are Vail, Aspen or Steamboat.  Any of the three will be a good choice.

 

Well he wants to pass on Steamboat and Breck. 

 

So that leaves Aspen, Vail, Beaver Creek, Copper, Keystone (and A-Basin, and Loveland, though probably not for blue terrain preference?)

 

Aspen is a great choice, but the furthest and can be expensive, like Vail can be. Other than Aspen, I don't think any of them have a town comparable to Breck or Steamboat, do they? Does Vail's village compare?

post #11 of 11
You might want to be flexible and keep Steamboat in the mix. Maybe even Aspen or Wolf. Depending on who you believe the snow forecast is not the best thru Christmas. th_dunno-1[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Early Jan Ski Trip [blue/black in CO, WY, UT; flying from TX]