or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ski technique - Page 43  

post #1261 of 1267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich666 View Post
 

I think I may have run over a woman pushing a baby carriage on my way to go skiing today.

 

the question asked here will of course be: were you heavy or were you light?

post #1262 of 1267
Ski like you screw, not like you poo.
post #1263 of 1267

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Engineer View Post
 

            I'm going to take Rusty at his word that he will lock the thread, so I will shoot this one across the bow and hopefully not have to argue it for the next week.

 

            If you are floating through transition barely touching the snow, what does it mean to lift the inside ski and tip it?  How does lifting a leg when you have almost no weight in the first place make any difference?  How does tipping the inside ski make the outside tip when the outside doesn't even have pressure?  It's super easy to tip a ski in the air, you don't need any other psychological tricks.  Tipping one ski in the air has no effect

Tipping one ski in the air to tip the other ski that is also in the air is just plain comical.

            This is why non-indoctrinated people think you've abandoned the inside tipping gambit, because it's against all common sense that it's necessary or useful when there's very little pressure on either ski.  Lifting one ski is only helpful for initiating a turn when the other ski has weight on it.  It's called a weight transfer.  You have to have weight on one ski to transfer it to the other ski.  When you are floating, you have no weight on either ski.  It's impossible to transfer weight, because there is none to be transferred.  A little bit of pressure means it will have a little bit of effect, not much.

            This is why we get sooooo many responses by people that say they know and that's why, and anybody that doesn't know just doesn't have the experience.  Because you have to be taught this nonsense as part of a system, and then believe it with every fiber of your being, because no amount of logic or common sense will make it work out.  And guess what, only one groups talks about it, because it's nonsense.

 

            I'm out. Yeeeehaaaaaa!


Wrong on all bolded implications or assertions.... your understanding of bio-mechanics is quite lacking... there's books and coaches that can explain this stuff...

 

Tipping and weighting/pressuring/extending are quite contradictory to each-other, because of this very simple physics:

 


Edited by razie - 1/13/16 at 4:29pm
post #1264 of 1267

Please disregard that last post. I thought I was texting my grandmother. Damn Iphone!   

post #1265 of 1267
Quote:
Originally Posted by razie View Post
 

 

the question asked here will of course be: were you heavy or were you light?

 Heavy on the truck. Light in the head.

post #1266 of 1267
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Engineer View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by razie View Post
 


did you actually bother to read that?

 

 

I agree with you, TE. You spit out bad physics and keep saying the exact opposite of Rick when you say the COM moves somewhere other than across the skis or when you assert retractions are not efficient or not used by racers.

That is insane.  Everything I have said is in line with Rick.  Floating happening as a combination of "down unweighting, rebound, and the virtual bump".  Coming up and over with a cross over doesn't have to mean weightless.  Release doesn't mean unweighting. Floating loses the connection to the snow as a negative characteristic.  Many different types of transitions with pros and cons.

 

Jamt has said that when you come up and over you have to be weightless, that it's a good thing, and there is no rebound in the skis worth mentioning.

 

I have noticed that your responses to some of these physics discussions show huge misunderstandings that haven't been worth responding to, so I get that you aren't following that part of the discussion very well.  But, if you can't see that Rick is recommending not floating through transition and that it's not necessary to float, then that represents a level of idiocy that's not even worth arguing against anymore.

 

"Metaphor, for what purpose are you trying to unweight in the first place?  

Up unweighting and down unweighting were pervasively used techniques in the pre shape ski days to allow the skis to be easily pivoted/redirected coming out of the transition (Pianta Su).  Now a-days, arc to arc turning is more feasible in more situations, and in those turns unweighting is not necessary.  

And,,, just for clarity,,, release does not equate to unweighting.  OLR and ILE just transfer pressure from one ski to the other, they don't eliminate it.  Unweighting does eliminate it. That's it's purpose."

Sadly, you are blinded by your narrow experience.   Yes, up and down unweighting were used by many skiers to unweight skis so they could be pivoted, but that has nothing at all to do with what we are talking about here. 

 

What we are talking about here is being able to press the skis down when that pressing down is vitally needed (e.g. apex of high performance turn on hard surface).  It's about pressure management and not being heavier than you need to be when pressing down is not required, so you can press down when you need to.

post #1267 of 1267

And that, gentle folk, was the last word for this thread.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Instruction & Coaching
This thread is locked