EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Leki trigger S poles, Do they work?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Leki trigger S poles, Do they work? - Page 2

post #31 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post
 


I own both versions. The older model worked pretty well in terms of coming apart - I have permanent damage in both thumbs from falls using traditional grips - but the new ones aren't significantly different than designs that don't separate. They're marketed as a convenience, not a safety design. Ironically, this was because people complained about how easily the original triggers came off. I'd swap them that problem for my first metacarpal joints...


I never pulled a Trigger T apart in a race start if it was together right.

and it fits more solidly on a glove than the new loop system.

post #32 of 50

Yep. My wife had the S's, disliked them so much she gave them away. Couldn't get them apart when she wanted to, felt clunky in the glove. So it goes...

post #33 of 50

Try pressing down on the button with your thumb (pole hand) and lift wrist at the same time. Seems to work well, once you get the hang of it.

I'm currently nursing a sprained wrist from a crazy backwards fall, while using the wrist straps. Both poles released, but I have no idea when. I think the sprain would have happened with regular straps, but not sure. Hard to recreate the fall in my head...

post #34 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pawelek View Post
 

Try pressing down on the button with your thumb (pole hand) and lift wrist at the same time. Seems to work well, once you get the hang of it.

Yup.  It took me a while to get used to it, but now I don't even think about it and I can get my poles quicker than when I had regular straps.

post #35 of 50

I've been using the S series for a few years and love them.  As I'm approaching the lift I can release both poles while gliding at a good rate of speed.  Every once in a while, in the snow, one is hard to get off, so I tap on the top of it with the other pole handle and it comes off.

 

Sliced bread > >> > > > > Leki Poles w/S grips

post #36 of 50

Interesting to see this thread.  In many years skiing, the only day I seriously injured a thumb was the first day I used these Leki poles earlier this year.  There is a hard plastic protrusion in the web of the thumb where the pole clips and unclips and in the event of putting a fist down to pop up after a slide it can cause your thumb to bend in an unnatural manner.  I love how easy they are to unclip for getting on the lift but they aren't worth risking my thumbs as I was out of commission for 6 weeks and it could have been worse.  Maybe my hands are too big or something.


​I'd love to find a grip that provides some thumb protection but then again I've never had any problems with traditional poles and properly held straps. 

post #37 of 50
Sorry you got hurt. I don't think those are the S triggers which do not have the yellow hard protruding piece, but a little loop.
post #38 of 50

I just bought a set of these Leki poles with the strap for your glove/mitten.  The strap on my mittens has a little loop.

 

Someone warned me that they won't use these Leki straps because they've had the strap rub a hole in their glove right at the junction of my thumb and index finger.  

Anyone ever had this happen?

post #39 of 50

The one with the plastic loop is called Trigger 1 Vario. The one with the fabric loop is the Trigger S Vario. But that's the strap, not the glove, which I think Red7 is talking about.(?) I've got the Trigger S. I still have no idea how they release in a fall. I can't yank them out by hand.

 

Liquid Feet, I've had the straps on my gloves for a year now (about 18 ski days). I just checked and they show no sign of wear at the spot.

post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red7 View Post
 

Interesting to see this thread.  In many years skiing, the only day I seriously injured a thumb was the first day I used these Leki poles earlier this year.  There is a hard plastic protrusion in the web of the thumb where the pole clips and unclips and in the event of putting a fist down to pop up after a slide it can cause your thumb to bend in an unnatural manner.  I love how easy they are to unclip for getting on the lift but they aren't worth risking my thumbs as I was out of commission for 6 weeks and it could have been worse.  Maybe my hands are too big or something.


​I'd love to find a grip that provides some thumb protection but then again I've never had any problems with traditional poles and properly held straps. 

 

I have had the opposite experience.  Before using Leki trigger poles, I had broken thumbs in both hands on a couple of occasions.  Since using Leki trigger poles I have not broken any thumbs.  I have been using for well over a decade, now using S straps.  Both versions worked well for me.  I love the feel and ease of getting on and off.  Yes I have had them release in a fall.  I use them for racing as well as free skiing.  Love them and can't recommend enough.

 

That is all.

 

Rick G

post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post
 

I just bought a set of these Leki poles with the strap for your glove/mitten.  The strap on my mittens has a little loop.

 

Someone warned me that they won't use these Leki straps because they've had the strap rub a hole in their glove right at the junction of my thumb and index finger.  

Anyone ever had this happen?

I've been using them for the past three seasons and there is no wear at all.

post #42 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcyclist View Post
 

I've been using them for the past three seasons and there is no wear at all.

 

X2. 100+ days per year - some in touring gloves w / o integrated Trigger system loops. Zero wear. Maybe a bit of surface polishing - but n degradation.

post #43 of 50
Maybe the ones you are referring to are different. Mine are the Leki Spitfire S poles. I apologize if these aren't the ones you were discussing. Here is a link to a photo where you can see that hard plastic potrusion (aka thumb buster). I love how easy they are to unclip but I just barely put a closed fist (to avoid hyper extending my thumb) down for a split second to pop back up after sliding out. I've done this many times over the past 30+ years skiing and never had an issue with normal grips. I popped up and was like wtf just happened as it was a total non-event except for that hard plastic part. Worst part is my thumb is possibly now permantly jacked and really effecting my motocross riding.

leki-spitfire-s-ski-poles-2015-44.jpg
post #44 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red7 View Post

Maybe the ones you are referring to are different. Mine are the Leki Spitfire S poles. I apologize if these aren't the ones you were discussing. Here is a link to a photo where you can see that hard plastic potrusion (aka thumb buster). I love how easy they are to unclip but I just barely put a closed fist (to avoid hyper extending my thumb) down for a split second to pop back up after sliding out. I've done this many times over the past 30+ years skiing and never had an issue with normal grips. I popped up and was like wtf just happened as it was a total non-event except for that hard plastic part. Worst part is my thumb is possibly now permantly jacked and really effecting my motocross riding.

leki-spitfire-s-ski-poles-2015-44.jpg

The link doesn't work, but the photos I find on the web look exactly like the poles we're all talking about.  I don't understand what this "hard plastic protrusion" is that you're talking about, unless you mean the little piece where the strap attaches.  The grip on the Spitfire S pole looks exactly, except for color, the same as the grip on my Vario Trigger S.  Sorry you got bunged up.

post #45 of 50
Sorry. I'm on my phone. I'll try to send a link that works and if not I'll do it when I get home. Honestly, I hope I'm wrong and it's just my big hands not working with these poles but in the photo there is a hard plastic part (thats not nice and round like traditional grips) that is where the strap clips in and that goes precisely against your UCL (Ulnar Collateral ligament). Rather than a nice rounded and soft rubber contour going against that thumb joint you now have a somewhat sharp radius'ed hard piece of plastic.

This is just my experience with my hands so take it for what it's worth but that joint is the most vulnerable for ski injuries of the hand so to me, hard plastic+sharper radius doesn't = the right design. I hope I'm wrong and no one else gets hurt.
post #46 of 50
Btw- unclippling is much easier than traditional straps so if you can use them without hurting your thumbs, you will like them. I just can't take that risk again so I'll put up with taking a little longer to unstrap...been doing it since the 80's.
post #47 of 50

The only injury I ever got from using ski poles was probably same injury you got when I was using those strapless grips way back when.  I had to have surgery, lost the rest of the season and never used those poles again.  I found out later from a surgeon that it was a common injury with those strapless grips.

post #48 of 50

You know, this is the catch 22 with thumb injuries.  There are several different types of crashes that can cause different risks to the thumb.  I think in a yard sale/tumbling fall something like the S trigger design could be beneficial.  My controlled "crash" was me hitting a patch of ice on early season man-made snow and just putting my fist down to brace myself and pop back up (I was on my right hip for all of 1-2 seconds).  There was no torqueing out of my thumb at all like many "skier's thumb" injuries to the UCL, it was just the odd shape of grip and hard plastic of the grip digging into my UCL and the pressure of the snow near my thumbnail that kind of forced that joint open.  I have no doubt that with a softer material with rounded grips against that joint, or even the old school pistol grips that caused other thumb injuries, it would have been like 100's of times before where I brace myself with my fist and pop right back up without incident. 

 

A ski buddy from the 80's broke his thumb once and afterwards bought these crazy grips that had a hole for your thumb to go into so that it was completely surrounded by plastic and he swore by them even though they looked cumbersome.  That style grip would have absolutely protected my thumb from this injury but they must have proven to have other issues (or just looked too weird) to keep making them.  I looked for a pair on ebay after my injury to at least protect my thumb while the injury healed but just skied without poles with a roll of tape supporting it.

 

You'd think with all of the innovation going on, someone could come up with a ski pole, grip or glove design that would better protect our thumbs once and for all.  I thought about trying the Level thumb protection gloves but don't see many reviews so I don't know that those are the answer.    Maybe adding this thumb guard Leki offers would have protected my thumbs by keeping the thumb off the snow.  Do you think in more of a tumbling type fall those could either catch my thumb or the snow and cause a different type of thumb injury?   They cost almost as much as another set of poles so I may just cut the poles down, put on normal grips and give them to my kids and continue on with traditional ski poles.

 

http://www.artechski.com/leki-thumb-guards-yellow/

post #49 of 50
post #50 of 50
Something I did a few years ago was add race guards (not for protect, just because they looked good and let's me hide that I have my straps on:rolleyes). The side benefit was I had a situation where I place my knuckles down at speed (stupid error induce issue) and behold protected thumb and knuckles.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Leki trigger S poles, Do they work?