or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Din setting too low?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
I'm 6'2, 250. There were 3 levels to choose from on ability, I chose 2. I'm no pro but I don't pizza down the slopes. I ski cautiously not typically very fast but I'm comfortable on all greens and most blues around here. I just bought new boots and had my skis adjusted, they were set to a 6 din at the shop. I forgot to look prior but I think they were 7 or 8 before and that worked perfectly last year, never had a pre release and they always popped off when I did fall. I'm going to Telluride in Jan and planning to take a couple lessons to up my game prior so I'm worried about pre release. Any opinions on 6 possibly being too low?
post #2 of 22

How long are you boot soles (in mm)?

post #3 of 22
Did you turn 50?
post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 
they're 30.5
post #5 of 22

Cranking them up, if they fall off, isn't exactly rocket science.

post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1090nc View Post

I'm 6'2, 250. There were 3 levels to choose from on ability, I chose 2. I'm no pro but I don't pizza down the slopes. I ski cautiously not typically very fast but I'm comfortable on all greens and most blues around here. I just bought new boots and had my skis adjusted, they were set to a 6 din at the shop. I forgot to look prior but I think they were 7 or 8 before and that worked perfectly last year, never had a pre release and they always popped off when I did fall. I'm going to Telluride in Jan and planning to take a couple lessons to up my game prior so I'm worried about pre release. Any opinions on 6 possibly being too low?


You are in NC, correct?  Skiing on short groomers in the southeast is different than the long groomers out west.  From your threads last year, I gather you are just getting started enjoying the slopes.

 

Feb 2015 thread by OP after buying boots and skis for the first time:

http://www.epicski.com/t/132305/bindings-diy-or-pro-tips-please

 

Pre-release is rarely an issue for beginners/intermediates.  When you start exploring ungroomed terrain, you can change from Type 2 to Type 3 which usually means increasing the recommended DIN.

 

Note that the reason someone asked if you were over age 50 is that that is the standard cut-off for decreasing DIN.  The idea is that older bones and ligaments should use a little more protection.  However, for advanced skiers who are in very good shape that decrease may not be appropriate.  It's always possible to ask for a specific DIN setting when having work done by a ski shop but will be asked to sign a waiver.

 

Since I have a less-than-perfect knee, I keep my DIN at the level that matches up with Type 2 for my age, height, and weight.  I've become an advanced skier going off-piste over 50% of the day in recent years.  When I'm headed out on a powder day, I'll up the DIN by one to avoid pre-release.  Although if I don't, I haven't had any issues in 12 inches or less.  First time I had an issue with pre-release on rented powder ski was last April in April when I was lucky enough to be out in 25+ inches of fresh powder.  I had the DIN increased when I changed out skis at lunch time.  Also got a wider/longer model.  :) 

post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the feedback marz. Yes I'm in NC. The lost legit place Ives been to was snowshoe in February this year and correct, this is my second season skiing. I'm 30.
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1090nc View Post

they're 30.5


You need to measure the length of the sole in mm and then feed it into this chart

http://www.mechanicsofsport.com/skiing/equipment/bindings/din-calculator.html

along with your other data. 

 

I suspect you will get 6 or 6.5 for a type II skier.  Maybe you are really a type III skier. 

post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the link, it was showing a 6. I don't think I'm iii yet, I don't ski aggressively and I feel like I don't have very good form though I am comfortable skiing and feel in control but hopefully after a couple lessons before telluride I can step it up
post #10 of 22

It is quite likely given your size and strength that you have taken to bullyiing the ski into submission.  Yanking an mule around by the bit, instead of leading a horse with the reins.

 

Normal forces applied on the ski in the absence of bumps, ruts and severe impacts at speed, should not cause the ski to release, even at a low setting.  Catching an edge and pulling the ski along, twisting a ski when it is stuck in the snow and doesn't want to twist and forcing a ski to go where you want it to instead of tipping the ski, weighting it and riding it where that makes it want to go will cause releases. 

post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1090nc View Post

they're 30.5

Cronological age. At 50, binding setting go down a point.

(Don't mistake this fact for my agreement. smile.gif )
post #12 of 22

FIFY  ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by markojp View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1090nc View Post

they're 30.5

Cronological age. At 50, binding setting risk acceptance level goes down up a point.

(Don't mistake this fact for my agreement. smile.gif )
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post


Chuckle... Mine go to 11. smile.gif
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1090nc View Post

Thanks for the feedback marz. Yes I'm in NC. The lost legit place Ives been to was snowshoe in February this year and correct, this is my second season skiing. I'm 30.


What was your favorite run at Snowshoe?

 

In case you haven't found it yet, here's the on-going regional thread for the Southeast.  Might be some folks looking to meet up at Sugar or Beech once the ski season gets going.  Have you heard about the new 6-pack at Sugar?

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/142548/2015-16-southeast-news-meetups-weather-nc-va-wv-plus-folks-in-sc-ga-tn-al-fl

post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the info guys..

As for snowshoe, I liked flume all the way from one side to the other and ball hooter too. We had a blast at snowshoe, looking even more forward to telluride! & I'll check that out! Was hoping app would open tomorrow as planned but looks like it will be tues. I prefer beech but when time is limited app is good since they're open til 12 on weekends.
post #16 of 22
Thread Starter 
& yes I saw the new lift at sugar! Hope to try it soon
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1090nc View Post

Thanks for the info guys..

As for snowshoe, I liked flume all the way from one side to the other and ball hooter too. We had a blast at snowshoe, looking even more forward to telluride! & I'll check that out! Was hoping app would open tomorrow as planned but looks like it will be tues. I prefer beech but when time is limited app is good since they're open til 12 on weekends.


The difference between a blue at App compared to the blues at Snowshoe is minor compared to the blues you can explore at Telluride.  General suggestion is to start on a green at any new mountain.  After you have done a few runs, can always ask for recommendations from Guest Services about where to go next.  Some places have free mountain tours that are well worth the time.  Tours by a mountain host are always on appropriate groomed terrain for the guests in the group.  But they stop and describe other parts of the mountain and are happy to answer questions about areas that are out of sight.

 

How many days at Telluride?

post #18 of 22
Thread Starter 
True. I am slightly nervous cause looking at the trail maps if you end up in certain areas there's no way down except on double blues or blacks. I'm def heading straight to galloping goose then would like to try see forever. We'll be there Jan 10-15th with 4 day lift ticket. Staying slope side in mountain village, can't wait!! Worried a little about the altitude, have been reading about some people getting sick...
post #19 of 22
Thread Starter 
& I see on the telluride website they have a mountain guide who gives tours so I'll def check that out
post #20 of 22

I recommend taking the tour your first day.  The areas you will want to avoid are, for the most part, pretty obvious.  Lots of intermediate skiing at Telluride.  I had some difficulty sleeping at altitude at Mountain Village.  Next time I go I will stay 1500 feet lower down.  The town is better than the village for dining and nightlife...we ended up taking the gondola into town almost every night of our week's stay.

post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1090nc View Post

True. I am slightly nervous cause looking at the trail maps if you end up in certain areas there's no way down except on double blues or blacks. I'm def heading straight to galloping goose then would like to try see forever. We'll be there Jan 10-15th with 4 day lift ticket. Staying slope side in mountain village, can't wait!! Worried a little about the altitude, have been reading about some people getting sick...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1090nc View Post

& I see on the telluride website they have a mountain guide who gives tours so I'll def check that out

That should be a great time to be at Telluride.  Good that you can avoid a holiday period.

 

Here's an Article about altitude adjustment.  While it's impossible to predict, most people do okay after a day or so.  Good to start drinking more a few days before you fly out.  Also good if you can sleep as much as possible, although I find that hard because before a ski trip I'm both too busy and too excited to get to bed early.

 

http://www.epicski.com/a/altitude-adaptation-and-acute-mountain-sickness

post #22 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the link. I wanted to stay in Telluride but with 4 people it was cheaper to get a condo in mtn village plus the rep said with those dates it possible the lower slopes into telluride won't be open and we really wanted ski in/out. Has anyone tried diamox?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion