or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Breckenridge, Vail Early December Skiing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Breckenridge, Vail Early December Skiing

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I'm from Louisiana and don't know the mountains as well as some of you.  I'm flying into Denver December 5th and I'm curious if I should go to Breck or Vail this early in the season. I'm an average intermediate skier at this point and I'm scared that the resort may not have many runs/lifts open this early in the season. My choices are Breck and Vail because I have a second trip coming up in February at Breckenridge.  I'm going to buy a pass since it would save money on 6-7 days of skiing between the two separate trips.  Thank you for any insight guys.

 

Moderator note: moved to Resorts, Conditions & Travel

post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltytiger2 View Post
 

I'm from Louisiana and don't know the mountains as well as some of you.  I'm flying into Denver December 5th and I'm curious if I should go to Breck or Vail this early in the season. I'm an average intermediate skier at this point and I'm scared that the resort may not have many runs/lifts open this early in the season. My choices are Breck and Vail because I have a second trip coming up in February at Breckenridge.  I'm going to buy a pass since it would save money on 6-7 days of skiing between the two separate trips.  Thank you for any insight guys.

 

Moderator note: moved to Resorts, Conditions & Travel


Welcome to EpicSki!  Don't think you have anything to worry about.

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 


Thanks for moving my topic. Appreciate it.

post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltytiger2 View Post
 


Thanks for moving my topic. Appreciate it.


You're welcome!  Always good to hear from other folks in the southeast.  Have you skied in Colorado before?

post #5 of 10
I'm going to Breckenridge at the beginning of December and have been doing quite a bit of research. It looks as though most of the blue and green runs on Peaks 8 and 9 will be open, maybe a few single black runs on those peaks as well. It's very unlikely that Peaks 6, 7 or 10 will be open.
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 


Yes I have. I was in Breckenridge February 2015 for 4 days and I loved it.  It was my first time skiing so I took a lesson and by the third day I was running down blue trails.  I'm pretty athletic but I believe I'll stay on blue runs this trip. Honestly I have no idea what I'm capable of on the mountain because of the caution I used the first trip so I'm ready to get back.

post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 


Thanks DayneTrain. Do you mind if I ask where you found this information.  I've done some research as well and I've come up empty handed.

post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayneTrain103 View Post

I'm going to Breckenridge at the beginning of December and have been doing quite a bit of research. It looks as though most of the blue and green runs on Peaks 8 and 9 will be open, maybe a few single black runs on those peaks as well. It's very unlikely that Peaks 6, 7 or 10 will be open.


Hey Dayne I'm actually heading to Breckenridge for two trips this winter. December 5th and February 4th. I'll be flying solo on the December 5th trip. I wouldn't mind meeting up with you guys out there and getting some advice on which runs to take if we'll be on the mountain the same days.  No problem if you don't want the bother. Thanks for help bud.

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltytiger2 View Post
 


Yes I have. I was in Breckenridge February 2015 for 4 days and I loved it.  It was my first time skiing so I took a lesson and by the third day I was running down blue trails.  I'm pretty athletic but I believe I'll stay on blue runs this trip. Honestly I have no idea what I'm capable of on the mountain because of the caution I used the first trip so I'm ready to get back.


Sounds like you are hooked!   :D

 

Have you looked around the Beginner Zone?  To get to any sub-forum, can use the drop-down by clicking on Forums in the menu bar.

 

Taking a lesson or two at the beginning of a ski trip is a good way to avoid developing any bad habits.  During early season, a group lesson could end up being a private or have only 1-2 other students.  I've been improving my skiing a lot in recent years as an advanced skier living in the southeast who only recently had time to get more skiing days out west.

 

I agree that being able to ski blue runs comfortably is when skiing is much more fun than when still learning only on green trails.

post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltytiger2 View Post


Thanks DayneTrain. Do you mind if I ask where you found this information.  I've done some research as well and I've come up empty handed.

I read through the Breckenridge blog and found out when they were opening certain lifts and then researched how much snow they had at that time. Last year Breckenridge had almost double their normal snowfall in November and still didn't open 7 or 10 until the middle of December. I also went on Tony Crocker's site, bestsnow.net to see the % open around that time of the year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltytiger2 View Post


Hey Dayne I'm actually heading to Breckenridge for two trips this winter. December 5th and February 4th. I'll be flying solo on the December 5th trip. I wouldn't mind meeting up with you guys out there and getting some advice on which runs to take if we'll be on the mountain the same days.  No problem if you don't want the bother. Thanks for help bud.

It wouldn't be a bother but I probably wouldn't be much help, there are several breckenridge locals who could probably help you out quite a bit more. I also agree that taking a lesson would be your best bet and the instructors will take you to the runs best suited to your level.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Breckenridge, Vail Early December Skiing