or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tyrolia 490

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I just purchased an old school pair of Tyrolia 490s from a ski swap in Bozeman. They're the binding McConkey used to ski wing suit because they eject by pulling up on the heel piece. Is there still any sort of market for there? Does anyone still ski wing suit? I pretty much bought them just for the novelty, but they're pretty sweet and definitely functional. 

post #2 of 10

IMHO, the Tyrolia 490 if it is the all-metal one and in good shape is an excellent binding.  It won't be on the indemnified list though.  The trouble is that it could be rusted to crap inside, or it could be in good shape.  At one point in time the 490s changed from metal to Delrin plastic junk.  The Delrin ones were recalled in their first or second year of production and replaced (with what I don't know but it was still some kind of cheap plastic).

 

I have never tried the flying squirrel suit, but I would love to.

 

PS: I still have a pair of 490s mounted to my antique SG skis, and ski them occasionally, but I treat my skis and bindings very well.

post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstewart View Post
 

I just purchased an old school pair of Tyrolia 490s from a ski swap in Bozeman. They're the binding McConkey used to ski wing suit because they eject by pulling up on the heel piece. Is there still any sort of market for there? Does anyone still ski wing suit? I pretty much bought them just for the novelty, but they're pretty sweet and definitely functional. 

Shane McConkey died because one of his skis wouldn't release and he struggled to get the ski off before deploying his chute... probably not the sort of thing that makes a non-indemnified binding hold market value.

post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
 

Shane McConkey died because one of his skis wouldn't release and he struggled to get the ski off before deploying his chute... probably not the sort of thing that makes a non-indemnified binding hold market value.

 

Well, that's the story.  I thought his fatal plunge was on film, but the photographers kept the footage out of the public eye.  Not trying to be morbid, but it seems that's what the OP was interested in when they bought the bindings.

post #5 of 10

Yeah, I wonder what went wrong there.  Did he step in some gum before putting the skis on?  Did he take off the brakes/heel plates?  Just too much air pressure pushing up on a pair of fat skis?  What?  I've never had my 490s not let go when I pulled up on the heel release, even upside down in a tree well.

post #6 of 10

maybe he wasn't using Tyrolias that day?

i do remember when there was a run on 490s and other Tyrolias with the heel tab release feature on the TGR forums for guys to use for ski base jumps and the market quickly dried up

post #7 of 10

http://adventure-journal.com/2009/03/skier-shane-mcconkey-killed-in-base-jumping-accident/

 

He was using Tyrolia bindings, from the 490 era. They didn't release, it's what killed him.

 

From Shane on TGR Forum:

Cliff Huckstable is offlineRegistered User
 
  • Join Date
  • Aug 2005
  • Posts
  • 15

PLEASE HELP! NEED BINDINGS FOR SKI BASE ASAP!

Hello everyone,
JT Holmes and I need your help asap! We leave for Europe on the 14th of March for a film shoot. This is in only 8 days. We are doing some ski base jumps for a french film. The types of jumps we are doing require us to release our skis before deploying our parachutes. The only way to safely do this is by using those old Tyrolia 

bindings that were popular in the 80s. The kind that have the upward releasing heel. We both just recently finished filming some similar jumps for a separate Matchstick project. On that shoot we used up all our tyrolias. These bindingswere very popular in the 80s and can be found on many old skis. We don't care how old or crappy they are or what the din is. We only need them for a few hundred feet of skiing. They are generally easy to find at thrift stores and in friends garages. The problem for us is we don't have any time left to gather as many as we need. If any of you out there has a pair (or 10!) or knows anyone who might have any we would very much appreciate you sending them to us. We know this would be kind of a pain in the ass for you to do on such short notice but we will gladly make it up to you some how. Please PM either JT or myself if you have any leads for us. We are totally scrambling at the last minute here. Thanks a lot! 
Shane McConkey
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
 

http://adventure-journal.com/2009/03/skier-shane-mcconkey-killed-in-base-jumping-accident/

 

He was using Tyrolia bindings, from the 490 era. They didn't release, it's what killed him.


And why didn't that one Tyrolia 490 release like the other one did?  We may never know.

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
 


And why didn't that one Tyrolia 490 release like the other one did?  We may never know.

... because it was an old binding that was well past it's 'useful service life' and it FAILED to perform as it should. That's why these things become non-indemnified, they are not built to be disassembled, inspected and rebuilt. They are built to be used for 10 to 15 years and then taken out of service. This is a perfect example of 'why', the binding was tested for release by Shane immediately before the jump, it seemed fine... then it WASN'T. 

post #10 of 10

Good enough explanation for a ski marketer, not good enough for an engineer.  What part failed and how?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion