or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › New skis for my daughter.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New skis for my daughter.

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hello all!

 

Two years ago y'all here at Epic Ski did a great job helping me make a choice on new skis for myself.  The skis I bought - based heavily on advice I received  here - changed my entire ski experience.  I was hoping maybe you could help me with my daughters skies.
 
Currently a 15 years old (16 in April), athlete, has been skiing for about nine years. East coast only.  Poconos (Elk, CBK, Blue Mt) and Vermont (Okemo, Pico, Killington, Stratton).  T
 
She's 5'5", 120 lbs.  Using the skis.com ski wizard I'd call her intermediate-advanced and average to aggressive.
 
She skis mostly groomers, but does some off-piste tree skiing and ungroomed as well (like the Sundowner at Pico).   Occasionally, as with all East coast skiing, we're on ice (Forty-Niner at PICO anyone?)
 
She gets on the mountain about 10 times a year.
 
Any advice would be welcome.  K2, Rossi's and Elans are what she's skied in the past (not sure how important brand is.  I like K2).
 
Thank you!

 

John from South Jersey.

post #2 of 13
Thread Starter 

Oh,

 

I saw a few reviews on K2 Lotta Luv's.  They sounded like they might be a good fit for her.  Thoughts on that would be appreciated also!

post #3 of 13
Take a look at the Nordica Wild Belle, 88mm, a bit of tip rocker and excellent edge grip. Another possibility is Head Total Joy, 85mm, and a bit of tip rocker and lightweight. I don't know how well the Total Joy does on really hard snow.
post #4 of 13

my daughter (same size and ability?) really liked the black pearl and Atomic vantage 90cti(women's version)  both skis were very predictable and have great edge hold. she felt the atomics were a bit livelier and quicker in bumps she did not like the wild belles, soul 7's or the heads at all. they all lacked edge hold compared to the Blizzards and atomics.  could have been the tune?.   my daughter really likes speed and knows how to carve very well.  as well as off piste/ black diamond type terrain.  we mostly ski Alta. I know it is characterized as a more soft snow  area, but she demoed all these skis in late spring with very hard refrozen slush in the am and corn in the afternoon.    

 

best bet as always is to let her try out as many skis as she can.  that way she can learn what she does and does not like.  

 

HTH

 

royal

post #5 of 13
The K2 Luv you're talking bout is in the older line up.  In the current Luv line, you're looking at (probably) the Luv Struck. 
 

When I'm selling skis in our shop, the Atomic and Salomon skis tend to appeal to the Tweeners.  The Salomon Myriad is a strong contender as well as the "new" Atomic Vantage 85W. 

I've sold a few pair of those this fall to girls as the OP describes. 

post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflaherty View Post

Hello all!

Two years ago y'all here at Epic Ski did a great job helping me make a choice on new skis for myself.  The skis I bought - based heavily on advice I received  here - changed my entire ski experience.  I was hoping maybe you could help me with my daughters skies.
 
Currently a 15 years old (16 in April), athlete, has been skiing for about nine years. East coast only.  Poconos (Elk, CBK, Blue Mt) and Vermont (Okemo, Pico, Killington, Stratton).  T
 
She's 5'5", 120 lbs.  Using the skis.com ski wizard I'd call her intermediate-advanced and average to aggressive.
 
She skis mostly groomers, but does some off-piste tree skiing and ungroomed as well (like the Sundowner at Pico).   Occasionally, as with all East coast skiing, we're on ice (Forty-Niner at PICO anyone?)
 
She gets on the mountain about 10 times a year.
 
Any advice would be welcome.  K2, Rossi's and Elans are what she's skied in the past (not sure how important brand is.  I like K2).
 
Thank you!

John from South Jersey.

I'm a lot older, several inches shorter, and also 120 lbs.  My all-mountain are Black Pearls.  I've skied the BPs in the MidA and northeast the last couple seasons and would not have them as a primary ski if I lived farther north.  They are great out west in up to about 8 inches of powder for me as an advanced skier with powder skiing experience.  They were fun at Pico with fresh powder last March in the trees.  At Whiteface in icy conditions . . . not so much fun.

 

I had a K2 from the Lotta Luv era.  It was one step down, the One Luv, since I wasn't as good a skier back then.  It became obvious after a year or two that K2 skis are not the best fit for me.  Move to Rossi after that.  I demo'd the Temptation 80 and 84 at Massanutten last season and liked both.  I also like the Head Joy line after some demo experience but that seems to be hit or miss so better to demo first.

post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 

Thank you all so much!  I was busy all day and did not even see most of these until just now, but I have a lot of information to read and digest here.  I really appreciate you offering your time and experience.

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hmmm...

 

So after reading all that we seem to have no consensus.

 

:-)

 

I was thinking similar to Massanutten's comments re: that BP's sounded more like a softer powder ski.

 

I'll tak a look at all of the suggestions, thanks.  I think the Luv Struck and Atomic's might be close to the mark.

post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 

What do you think of the K2 lotta luv's?  I know they are he older version but I saw a pair that would fit her that were priced to sell.

post #10 of 13

The Lota Luv sounds like a pretty good all mountain ski for her, and would work well for those times she is off the trail in untouched snow.  For 80% groomers, and East Coast, and skiing 9 years (so assuming knows how to ski), not so much a good choice.

 

I realize I'm going against the style trend, and I know some folks think 82 mm is a skinny ski, but for skiing East Coast Groomers, something a lot narrower would work better, for example the Burnin Luv (70 mm). 

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflaherty View Post
 

What do you think of the K2 lotta luv's?  I know they are he older version but I saw a pair that would fit her that were priced to sell.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
 

The Lota Luv sounds like a pretty good all mountain ski for her, and would work well for those times she is off the trail in untouched snow.  For 80% groomers, and East Coast, and skiing 9 years (so assuming knows how to ski), not so much a good choice.

 

I realize I'm going against the style trend, and I know some folks think 82 mm is a skinny ski, but for skiing East Coast Groomers, something a lot narrower would work better, for example the Burnin Luv (70 mm). 


I agree with this.  

Again, a great ski but for something that helps her learn to turn better on East Coast snow, something narrower may be better. 

post #12 of 13

My daughter is 5'6" 125 lbs. and skis in New England. She's 26 and has been skiing for 20 years. She's been skiing the Nordica Wild Belle for a couple of years and likes them a lot. She's a good technical skier that gets on her edges and really rips with that ski. She describes it as having a wide performance band without being overly demanding. She skied on a One Luv from K2 several years ago. She likes these a lot more.

post #13 of 13

My daughter, though a few years older is likely very similar to yours in terms of ability.  Last year I got her Atomic Affinity Sky skis.  The first few runs took a bit of getting used to but she quickly learned to love these.  I noticed her skiing improved dramatically.  A moderate 78mm waist and semi-rocker tip.  Not too expensive.  My 2 cents.  Good luck in your search.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › New skis for my daughter.