or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Nothing good in life is easy or cheap
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nothing good in life is easy or cheap - Page 2

post #31 of 53

I'm curious about how you define which kids are "talented".  I see lots of angry parents with spastic kids in your office.

post #32 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post
 

I'm curious about how you define which kids are "talented".  I see lots of angry parents with spastic kids in your office.

 

Process overview.
 
1. Ski patrol, undercover operatives, or regulars notice that a 7-year-old boy skiing down the hill is weighting and unweighting and tucking his downhill knee underneath his body when he turns. They judge him to be in the top 5-10% of mite skiers.
 
2. They tell the female who runs the freestyle and racing programs for children 5-10 about the boy. (Always a female.)
 
3. She contacts the boy’s father and tells him that his son is good and that he can potentially ski in college or on a national team if he joins an organized mite team and learns how to ski properly.
 
4. He tells her that he is not rich and cannot afford the cost of group lessons for his son given by a highly-qualified instructor. He says that he can afford to take his son skiing only 5 times per year. (He is telling the truth.)
 
5. She tells him that A-team lessons are free for all team members and that his son is slated for the A team. She tells him that because he is "middle income," his son can ski free at the hill whenever he wants up to 20 times per year until he is 14. 

 

post #33 of 53

You must expect these surely overpriced and outdated pieces of junk to fly off the shelf to pay for 10 ski areas that have cheap ticket rates, capped admissions and allow good youngins to stick around for free. 

post #34 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBillsFan View Post
 

You must expect these surely overpriced and outdated pieces of junk to fly off the shelf to pay for 10 ski areas that have cheap ticket rates, capped admissions and allow good youngins to stick around for free. 

 

The craft. The skiers hill. My sandbox.

 

My hills will offer 1000-2000 feet of vertical with lines > B+. Great lines, not vertical, make a great ski run. You go to Jackson Hole, Snowbird, or Telluride to ski a first-rate ski area with good lines. You go to Nelson's hills to "do some skiin' with some skiers."

 

My areas will not allow skiers to bring in drugs, including alcohol.

 

Each area will have 1 bar in which adults can consume quality draft beer and food at a fair price. My bars will serve 3 types of beers by the pint for $6 per glass in today's dollars: Guinness Draught, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and Paulaner Hefeweizen. I will fly in Guinness from Ireland and Paulaner from Germany every 5 days to ensure freshness. My Guinness will be as good as the Guinness that I drank in the Anchor Bar in Portstewart 5 years ago. No after taste.

 

"Old School"

 

post #35 of 53
Thread Starter 

Good curry chicken and chips.

 

post #36 of 53

Loving this thread.

What about a Doner from the Emerald Isle's finest? http://www.abrakebabra.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/mahon-point.bmp
post #37 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool47 View Post
 

 

 

At least once a year if not more often.

 

post #38 of 53
Thread Starter 

Tipped a few at Whites. Unfortunately, I never made it to Kelly's. Thread drift? No way.

 

"Life is about good skiing and good beer." -- Stein Eriksen

 

 

 

post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool47 View Post
 

 

The craft. The skiers hill. My sandbox.

 

My hills will offer 1000-2000 feet of vertical with lines > B+. Great lines, not vertical, make a great ski run. You go to Jackson Hole, Snowbird, or Telluride to ski a first-rate ski area with good lines. You go to Nelson's hills to "do some skiin' with some skiers."

 

My areas will not allow skiers to bring in drugs, including alcohol.

 

Each area will have 1 bar in which adults can consume quality draft beer and food at a fair price. My bars will serve 3 types of beers by the pint for $6 per glass in today's dollars: Guinness Draught, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and Paulaner Hefeweizen. I will fly in Guinness from Ireland and Paulaner from Germany every 5 days to ensure freshness. My Guinness will be as good as the Guinness that I drank in the Anchor Bar in Portstewart 5 years ago. No after taste.

 

"Old School"

 

 

Aw. You lost me there. IPA for me, please. No, I'm not a hipster. I was brewing them as soon as Jimmy made home brewing legal and supplies were accessible.

post #40 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersRacer View Post
 

 

At least once a year if not more often.

 

 

Nice skis.

post #41 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooAmEye View Post
 

 

Nice skis.

 

Why thank you, sir. I also take out the ROCs and STs. I even have some Hexcel Sundances waiting to go for a spin, @OldSchool47 

post #42 of 53
Thread Starter 

No helmets at my ski areas. Helmets look stupid and are unnecessary. They do not protect areas of the body most susceptible to injury while skiing: 

 

1. Knees (turning, falling)

2. Hips (turning, falling)

3. Ribs (falling)

4. Feet (wearing boots)

5. Hands and wrists (falling)

6. Neck (falling)

 

Best way to protect your body when you ski? Ski under control and have strong, flexible muscles that protect your joints.

 

Helmets for downhill and GS racers? Maybe. Probably.

 

 

Ski stud:

 

 

 

Not a ski stud:

 

post #43 of 53
I hate most people so I encourage a no helmet policy. Thin out the herd..
post #44 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Kiwi View Post
 

What's the dress code? Guessing no pants around knees and no visible underwear?

 

post #45 of 53

The not-safe-for-copyright original version is SO much better.

post #46 of 53
Thread Starter 

This looks like 1 of my runs.

 

post #47 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post

The not-safe-for-copyright original version is SO much better.

Nolo sent me a poster print of that one. It doesn't work for this because that one has the old man is wearing a helmet.
post #48 of 53
True dat!
post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool47 View Post
 

This looks like 1 of my runs.

 

That is @Philpug looking down Goat at Stowe.  It didn't end well.  His old Tyrolia binding cut loose at a bad time hahahaha..

post #50 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool47 View Post
 

This looks like 1 of my runs.

 

That is @Philpug looking down Goat at Stowe.  It didn't end well.  His old Tyrolia binding cut loose at a bad time hahahaha..

 

 

post #51 of 53
Thread Starter 

Get 'em while you can. You gotta have enough skinnies in your basement to last 30-35 years.

post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool47 View Post
 

You gotta have enough skinnies in your basement to last 30-35 years.

 

I think you may have misjudged the market.  I've got way more in my basement than I'm willing to admit.   

 

Mine will last 3500 years based on my current usage rate.  Last time out was two years ago:

 

post #53 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool47 View Post
 

You gotta have enough skinnies in your basement to last 30-35 years.

 

I think you may have misjudged the market.  I've got way more in my basement than I'm willing to admit.   

 

Mine will last 3500 years based on my current usage rate.  Last time out was two years ago:

 

 

PM me if you have a pair of pre-1980 Olin Mark IV Comps > 190 cm in VG+ shape that you will sell to me for a fair price.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Nothing good in life is easy or cheap