or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Best Jackets for the trees
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Jackets for the trees

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

Hello Everybody,

It is time to purchase a new jacket.  Just wondering if there are some jackets that are tougher than others, ones that will stand up to the trees better than others.  I realize that there is not jacket that is tear resistant, just one that might stand up to the trees better than the last one I had.  

 

thank you for your time..

 

 

Craig

post #2 of 20
You might consider a bright color as an even more important factor.
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Streak View Post

You might consider a bright color as an even more important factor.

This is a great point. I am always appreciative when I'm skiing with friends that are easy to spot in trees. See and be seen.
post #4 of 20
Get one from a company with a good rep for warranty/repairs. It may not be their fault if you tear it, but those companies usually work with their customers to make them happy.
post #5 of 20

Trim, athletic fit >>>>>baggy fit.

post #6 of 20

I have an older Patagonia Powder Bowl shell, H2NO, not GTX, and it has very durable in the trees.  I don't know if it's more or less durable than the current GTX version.  And it's bright yellow.

post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Streak View Post

You might consider a bright color as an even more important factor.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post

Get one from a company with a good rep for warranty/repairs. It may not be their fault if you tear it, but those companies usually work with their customers to make them happy.


These. Both truth. I'd add, better ski with friends who can spot that parka as you slide out of sight. But abrasion, well, obviously a heavier multi-layer shell is best, may not breathe as well, makes more noise, and is less cool right now. I've had good luck with Patagonia shells, both for build quality and the company's attitude.

 

Last, keep in mind that skiing trees is a lot like what a dear departed member said about what he used for rock skis. "All my skis are rock skis," he replied. Meaning, he skied side country, trees, pillows, jumps, places that end up trashing bases. And that was more important than "saving" his skis. Ditto for parkas. If you ski trees a lot, you'll gouge your parka, chip your helmet, punch your bases, and generally look like you've been through a war. An honorable war. Duct tape is your ribbon of honor...

post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcyclist View Post
 

I have an older Patagonia Powder Bowl shell, H2NO, not GTX, and it has very durable in the trees.  I don't know if it's more or less durable than the current GTX version.  And it's bright yellow.

Have this jacket as well and it is very tough.  

 

Just received back 4 items (3 jacks, 1 pair of shell pants) from Patagonia that they had repaired.  Patagonia will repair their products for the cost of your mailing them in.  The repairs were very well done.

post #9 of 20

Any such thing as a tree jacket?  Maybe for lumberjacks.......

 

post #10 of 20

Sure there is. 2 of the jackets Patagoni repaired were thin ones I tore BC skiing in trees.  A heavy exterior shell offers less likelihood of damage when skiing places that have tight trees.

post #11 of 20
carhartt's are tough as hell...
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtbakkes View Post

carhartt's are tough as hell...
True, but I have yet to see any Carhartt jacket that isn't cotton canvas and very heavy.
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeskier1971 View Post

Hello Everybody,
It is time to purchase a new jacket.  Just wondering if there are some jackets that are tougher than others, ones that will stand up to the trees better than others.  I realize that there is not jacket that is tear resistant, just one that might stand up to the trees better than the last one I had.  

thank you for your time..


Craig
+ Q: Ski pants better suited for tree skiing?
post #14 of 20

Since we are talking about tree skiing gear. I use SL pole hand guards, they come in handy for those pesky limbs.

post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider View Post

Since we are talking about tree skiing gear. I use SL pole hand guards, they come in handy for those pesky limbs.

do your wear shin/arm guards as well?

On a different q, how's Spyder's customer service for wear & tear repairs?
post #16 of 20
Never had any issues with their clothing. Fits well and keeps me warm. No only hand guards.
post #17 of 20

I do make sure my gloves have the racer padding.  Good for pushing the branches out of the way.

 

 

 

post #18 of 20
This is the jacket you need.


post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nochaser View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeskier1971 View Post

Hello Everybody,
It is time to purchase a new jacket.  Just wondering if there are some jackets that are tougher than others, ones that will stand up to the trees better than others.  I realize that there is not jacket that is tear resistant, just one that might stand up to the trees better than the last one I had.  

thank you for your time..


Craig
+ Q: Ski pants better suited for tree skiing?

 

 

Have a looksee in the snowmobile aisle, for example:

https://www.rockymountainsnowmobile.com/product/V-3573-006/KLIM_POWERXROSS_PANT_2016.html

post #20 of 20

I got a Arcteryx Sabre jacket a few years ago and I was in the trees and hit a 2" diameter cut off branch, right on my chest. my first thought was dam I just ruined this jacket, but there was only a slight mark. I could not believe it. My bruised body not nearly as good .

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Best Jackets for the trees