or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › Seeking Waxing Reccomendations/Advice/Moral Support
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Seeking Waxing Reccomendations/Advice/Moral Support - Page 2

post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskiIL View Post
 

 

I've always thought this was something I should try, I have everything readily available, except the wax.  Being a weekend warrior with one pair of skis, I would be hesitant to do something wrong then have 0 skis. :hopmad:

 

If your near an REI in Chicagoland they're having free basics classes next week in Oakbrook on 13th, and then in Brookfield 17th, Schaumburg Dec 4th .. other locals too.  Northbrook shows closed but if you're near, give em a call and weasel in ....

 

http://www.rei.com/events/ski-and-snowboard-tuning-basics/oakbrook-terrace/129376

 

http://www.rei.com/outdoorschool/search?distance=200&location=chicago%2C%20il&activity=26&sort=date&page=1

post #32 of 38

You can spend as little or as much as you want getting into waxing and tuning. I've been using paste wax between tunes on our skis for years and this summer decided to start doing my own hot waxing. I read some articles, watched some videos and decided to start out cheap and easy. I bought a brick of Hertel Super Hot Sauce for $22 and a scraper for $6 (I went for extra wide, thus a bit more expensive). Was planning to find an el cheapo used iron at a thrift store, but then decided to spend a bit more and get an actual ski iron. Ended up getting the Toko T8 for ~$50. Total investment of $80 or so. Between my skis, my kids and my nieces that's pretty cheap compared to bringing them in even once for a hot wax all around.

 

I don't have a ski vice (yet), I've just been using a pair of saw horses in the garage. I have to brace the skis against my leg when I'm scraping them and I know I'm not getting them scraped as well as with a proper setup, but I figure any extra wax should wear off in a run or two - especially on MN's typical man-made, icy snow.

 

I don't have actual ski brushes, but I did pickup a set of brass/nylon brushes that I use after scraping and buffing with a scotch-brite type pad. We haven't been on snow yet so can't comment yet on the results. I'm sure I'll get better as time goes on.

post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle93 View Post
 

You can spend as little or as much as you want getting into waxing and tuning. I've been using paste wax between tunes on our skis for years and this summer decided to start doing my own hot waxing. I read some articles, watched some videos and decided to start out cheap and easy. I bought a brick of Hertel Super Hot Sauce for $22 and a scraper for $6 (I went for extra wide, thus a bit more expensive). Was planning to find an el cheapo used iron at a thrift store, but then decided to spend a bit more and get an actual ski iron. Ended up getting the Toko T8 for ~$50. Total investment of $80 or so. Between my skis, my kids and my nieces that's pretty cheap compared to bringing them in even once for a hot wax all around.

 

I don't have a ski vice (yet), I've just been using a pair of saw horses in the garage. I have to brace the skis against my leg when I'm scraping them and I know I'm not getting them scraped as well as with a proper setup, but I figure any extra wax should wear off in a run or two - especially on MN's typical man-made, icy snow.

 

I don't have actual ski brushes, but I did pickup a set of brass/nylon brushes that I use after scraping and buffing with a scotch-brite type pad. We haven't been on snow yet so can't comment yet on the results. I'm sure I'll get better as time goes on.


Sound good, but always scrape and brush well.  This deal about skiing off the wax is for the birds!

post #34 of 38

I scrape and brush the best I can, but without a vice I know I'm leaving a bit extra on there. By running over it with the scothbrite-type fiber pad I hope I'm getting most of what I'm missing and then brushing, but again I know it's not optimal. I figure I'll add some quality brushes next and maybe a vice next summer, see how it goes.

post #35 of 38

By the way, great job on your videos @Jacques I've watched a ton of your stuff, really helped get me going!

post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle93 View Post
 

I scrape and brush the best I can, but without a vice I know I'm leaving a bit extra on there. By running over it with the scothbrite-type fiber pad I hope I'm getting most of what I'm missing and then brushing, but again I know it's not optimal. I figure I'll add some quality brushes next and maybe a vice next summer, see how it goes.


Nice, but just the fiber pad will leave too much wax in the structure.

 

Although some will disagree, I have found excellent results with The Jaws Of The BEAST vice.  Here is how I use it and why I like it.

 

post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle93 View Post
 

By the way, great job on your videos @Jacques I've watched a ton of your stuff, really helped get me going!


Thank you.  There is no money in it for me.  No adds.  Just like to share and help fellow ski folks.  It is truly a way of life for me.  Take care!

post #38 of 38

Wax kit:

Rubber bands off broccoli or asparagus to hold the brake arms back

Universal wax...I like Hertel Super Hot Sauce; any will do

Iron...ski wax iron or travel iron or old solid sole clothes iron or steam iron with aluminum foil over the holes

Paper towels

Newspaper

 

Lay out the newspaper to catch drips

Strap the brakes back

Put the one ski over the newspaper, base up

Preheat the iron

Hold the iron tip-down over the ski base, touch the wax bar to the iron sole, if it smokes turn down the heat and let it cool for a minute

Dribble molten wax the length of the ski, put the wax down

Iron the wax into the ski base, melt it into the entire base, keep the iron moving all the time, take the iron away if the other side of the ski gets warm

Remelt and immediately wipe the excess molten wax off with the folded paper towel

Wax the other ski

Ski.  It might be sticky on the snow for the first few feet, but we aren't racing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › Seeking Waxing Reccomendations/Advice/Moral Support