or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Best value place & instructor for intermediate private lessons [in NY, NJ, VT, PA]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best value place & instructor for intermediate private lessons [in NY, NJ, VT, PA]

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hello! I'm a newcomer to skiing (started last season) but have picked it up quickly and can now handle blacks comfortably and some double blacks (not so comfortably) at Windham, Hunter and Okemo. I'm interested in learning to ski steeper terrain and start learning how to ski bumps and jumps, and want to take several 2 hour lessons over the course of the season to hopefully improve a lot. What would be the most affordable hill /best instructor combo? (An instructor who holds high-level certifications, preferably.) Any place in NY, NJ, VT or PA.

Jon Lamb was recommended highly in a previous post, but Killington's private lessons are $$$$$! Are there any resorts with more affordable lesson rates, but great instructors?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyberry88 View Post

Hello! I'm a newcomer to skiing (started last season) but have picked it up quickly and can now handle blacks comfortably and some double blacks (not so comfortably) at Windham, Hunter and Okemo. I'm interested in learning to ski steeper terrain and start learning how to ski bumps and jumps, and want to take several 2 hour lessons over the course of the season to hopefully improve a lot. What would be the most affordable hill /best instructor combo? (An instructor who holds high-level certifications, preferably.) Any place in NY, NJ, VT or PA.

Jon Lamb was recommended highly in a previous post, but Killington's private lessons are $$$$$! Are there any resorts with more affordable lesson rates, but great instructors?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!


Are you still planning on skiing?  Reason I ask is that you put this thread in the Snowboarding forum.  I can move to a more appropriate place if you like.

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post


Are you still planning on skiing?  Reason I ask is that you put this thread in the Snowboarding forum.  I can move to a more appropriate place if you like.

Oops! Sorry, I didn't realize I was in the snowboarding section. Sticking with skiing for now! Just bought my first boots and skis this month! No more rentals : D
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyberry88 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post


Are you still planning on skiing?  Reason I ask is that you put this thread in the Snowboarding forum.  I can move to a more appropriate place if you like.

Oops! Sorry, I didn't realize I was in the snowboarding section. Sticking with skiing for now! Just bought my first boots and skis this month! No more rentals : D


Congrats on getting your own gear!  That will make a big difference for sure.  

 

I decided to move to General Skiing because more people read that forum.  As you've probably noticed, Ski Instruction threads tend to be discussion of technique.

post #5 of 14

I think @Magi is an instructor at Windham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyberry88 View Post

Hello! I'm a newcomer to skiing (started last season) but have picked it up quickly and can now handle blacks comfortably and some double blacks (not so comfortably) at Windham, Hunter and Okemo. I'm interested in learning to ski steeper terrain and start learning how to ski bumps and jumps, and want to take several 2 hour lessons over the course of the season to hopefully improve a lot. What would be the most affordable hill /best instructor combo? (An instructor who holds high-level certifications, preferably.) Any place in NY, NJ, VT or PA.

Jon Lamb was recommended highly in a previous post, but Killington's private lessons are $$$$$! Are there any resorts with more affordable lesson rates, but great instructors?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

 

I think @Magi is an instructor at Windham.

 

Would you be able to do a multi-week program?  That's usually the most economical approach.

 

If you can get to someplace during early season, sometimes a group lesson can be a private or semi-private.  Usually taught by more experienced instructors because the new or more part-time instructors haven't come on board yet.  If you find someone you work well with, then can consider privates with that instructor.  Note that instructors usually get a bigger cut if requested by name.

 

What I've learned taking lessons at Massanutten (tiny hill in northern VA) is that you can learn a lot at a smaller ski area, even if there is no ungroomed terrain.  I was an advanced skier when I started taking lessons from a Level 3 instructor at Mnut a few years ago after knee rehab.  Everything he taught me helped a lot when I did ski trips out west or to the northeast.  Plus I learned how to practice on short groomers.

post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

I think @Magi is an instructor at Windham.

 

Happy to vouch that there are some fantastic instructors and programs available.  There are a few different adult programs at Windham, targeted at different needs (and price points), and one of those might be right for you.  If you call the ski school, they'd be happy to talk you through what your needs are, what they offer, and how they can help.

 

I'm also happy to answer any specific questions you might have about Windham in a PM (though I won't be able to teach you myself, as I'm moving to CO shortly).  Thanks for the shout - out @marznc.

post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magi View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

I think @Magi is an instructor at Windham.

 

Happy to vouch that there are some fantastic instructors and programs available.  There are a few different adult programs at Windham, targeted at different needs (and price points), and one of those might be right for you.  If you call the ski school, they'd be happy to talk you through what your needs are, what they offer, and how they can help.

 

 

I'm also happy to answer any specific questions you might have about Windham in a PM (though I won't be able to teach you myself, as I'm moving to CO shortly).  Thanks for the shout - out @marznc.


/off topic

 

Moving!  For an instructor job or something else?  Does that mean you might make it to the Aspen Gathering?

post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


/off topic

 

Moving!  For an instructor job or something else?  Does that mean you might make it to the Aspen Gathering?

 

I am planning to go to Aspen.

post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magi View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


/off topic

 

Moving!  For an instructor job or something else?  Does that mean you might make it to the Aspen Gathering?

 

I am planning to go to Aspen.


Great!  See you there.

 

/off topic DONE

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyberry88 View Post

Hello! I'm a newcomer to skiing (started last season) but have picked it up quickly and can now handle blacks comfortably and some double blacks (not so comfortably) at Windham, Hunter and Okemo. I'm interested in learning to ski steeper terrain and start learning how to ski bumps and jumps, and want to take several 2 hour lessons over the course of the season to hopefully improve a lot. What would be the most affordable hill /best instructor combo? (An instructor who holds high-level certifications, preferably.) Any place in NY, NJ, VT or PA.

Jon Lamb was recommended highly in a previous post, but Killington's private lessons are $$$$$! Are there any resorts with more affordable lesson rates, but great instructors?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

It'll probably take a few seasons of dedicated work for someone so new to skiing, but Sugarbush has a really unique and cool program for adult skiers looking to really expand their ability:

 

http://www.sugarbush.com/ski-ride-school/john-egans-bush-pilots/

 

I know a few of the coaches and a few of the participants, they are great folks!

post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post

It'll probably take a few seasons of dedicated work for someone so new to skiing, but Sugarbush has a really unique and cool program for adult skiers looking to really expand their ability:

http://www.sugarbush.com/ski-ride-school/john-egans-bush-pilots/

I know a few of the coaches and a few of the participants, they are great folks!

That looks like something really cool to aspire to!!! Just checked out some videos of Egan, he's awesome!
post #12 of 14

Elk in northeast PA has 1-day women's clinics on a weekend at the beginning of Jan, Feb, Mar.  It's a pretty good deal.  Something like $120 for a full day, including lunch and a drink during the social hour after skiing is done.  They break up into group based on ability and interests.  Elk has a very good ski school.  One of the best PSIA trainers is a long time instructor at Elk.

 

Best to call for more info.  Other than the dates, there is usually very little info on the Elk website.

 

The advantage of driving a little farther to Elk vs Hunter/Windham/Belleayre is that it's just a little bit farther so can be less busy on weekends.  There isn't any lodging at the slopes of plenty of motel options in Scranton 20 min away right off I-81.

post #13 of 14

I learned to ski at Middlebury snowbowl, its a very good place for beginners and intermediate learners. Its where I learned to ski, and if you get better then you can go to places like sugarbush (not for beginners) and Mad River Glen. Those are not for beginners but the Snowbowl has a lot of kids and adults learning, and the town itself is very nice and it's a great place to raise kids and such. Have fun!

post #14 of 14

The Dartmouth Skiway in Lyme, NH, has one of the best deals going — 1 hour private + all day lift ticket for $89. Our own @T-Square teaches there.  Lots of great skiers at the Skiway.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Best value place & instructor for intermediate private lessons [in NY, NJ, VT, PA]