or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Need ski help confused myself more after looking lol [ski Aspen/Snowmass, from MN]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need ski help confused myself more after looking lol [ski Aspen/Snowmass, from MN]

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
I am going to upgrade my skis and my daughter

I am 6'2 210 ski a little in mn but spend a week in snowmass and Ajax

I am skiing on some k2 skis I got a sports authority they rebranded them they say amp wired but after researching I think they are rebranded Apache skis

I like skiing anything but some yrs I may not even get anything but crud on the mountain in snowmass as I ski early Dec. Then mn so I could be on ice.

I am thinking brahma 180 but ever time I go to the store everyone tells me to go wider.

My daughter in on volkl old racing skis she is 5'2 115 she likes to go fast but also likes moguls she will do powder but 80% is on trail

We ski together. I would say we are advance skiers. We both like to push the skis. Not sure even what to get her.
post #2 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane F View Post

I am going to upgrade my skis and my daughter
 

:confused   This makes me sad. You really should just accept her the way she is.

 

 

 

 

;)

post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 

:confused   This makes me sad. You really should just accept her the way she is.

 

 

 

 

she is 17 lol .... maybe I should have proof read, anything I type when it is early in the am lol.  But I wouldn't trade her 4.0 gpa, dance line, one of the top black belt fighters in mn and my hunting buddy.

post #4 of 27

Welcome to Epicski.

 

I have an idea, try eliminating the abbreviations and using punctuation.  There is not a "per character" charge here.

post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane F View Post
 

 But I wouldn't trade her 4.0 gpa, dance line, one of the top black belt fighters in mn and my hunting buddy.

so different daughter but similar characteristics? 

 

It's good to know what you like about the current daughter, what is it that you feel you would like to see improved with this new daughter? A bit more information about what you are looking for in this upgrade would be helpful.

post #6 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
 

Welcome to Epicski.

 

I have an idea, try eliminating the abbreviations and using punctuation.  There is not a "per character" charge here.


This only works if I can spell and write lol. At least I know my weakness  

post #7 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
 

so different daughter but similar characteristics? 

 

It's good to know what you like about the current daughter, what is it that you feel you would like to see improved with this new daughter? A bit more information about what you are looking for in this upgrade would be helpful. I​

I would like her to figure out how to cut her own steak I mean at 17 she should be able to use a knife especially sense she is fine gutting a dear.

post #8 of 27

As for skis, the Brahma in a 180 would be a great choice, so would a Volkl Kendo. A Volkl Kenja would be a great choice for the daughter (unless you upgrade? and the new one skis different)

 Don't listen to people who say go wider.

post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane F View Post

I am going to upgrade my skis and my daughter

I am 6'2 210 ski a little in mn but spend a week in snowmass and Ajax

I am skiing on some k2 skis I got a sports authority they rebranded them they say amp wired but after researching I think they are rebranded Apache skis

I like skiing anything but some yrs I may not even get anything but crud on the mountain in snowmass as I ski early Dec. Then mn so I could be on ice.

I am thinking brahma 180 but ever time I go to the store everyone tells me to go wider.

My daughter in on volkl old racing skis she is 5'2 115 she likes to go fast but also likes moguls she will do powder but 80% is on trail

We ski together. I would say we are advance skiers. We both like to push the skis. Not sure even what to get her.


Welcome to EpicSki!  At least you use blank lines. :)

 

Just wanted to let you know that your duplicate thread was deleted to avoid confusion.

 

So you are looking to buy skis for your daughter and yourself?

post #10 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


Welcome to EpicSki!  At least you use blank lines. :)

 

Just wanted to let you know that your duplicate thread was deleted to avoid confusion.

 

So you are looking to buy skis for your daughter and yourself?

Yes

post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post

 

 Don't listen to people who say go wider.

 

Ditto on this.  From your description if you spend a lot of time on ice you should be on a carving ski, which means narrow.  If you want some versatility for your western trips you could go a little wider, but as you say early season means different conditions.

 

70's or 80's under foot would be the widest I'd go.  If your daughter likes moguls perhaps something that isn't a pure racing ski would be good.

 

For ice there's nothing like a narrow modern race inspired ski.  My every day driver in New England is a Blizzard Latigo which is 78 underfoot.

 

A Slalom ski would be good for almost everything I do, but the Latigo adds a bit more versatility in bumps, trees and crud.

post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane F View Post

I am going to upgrade my skis and my daughter

I am 6'2 210 ski a little in mn but spend a week in snowmass and Ajax

I am skiing on some k2 skis I got a sports authority they rebranded them they say amp wired but after researching I think they are rebranded Apache skis

I like skiing anything but some yrs I may not even get anything but crud on the mountain in snowmass as I ski early Dec. Then mn so I could be on ice.

I am thinking brahma 180 but ever time I go to the store everyone tells me to go wider.

My daughter in on volkl old racing skis she is 5'2 115 she likes to go fast but also likes moguls she will do powder but 80% is on trail

We ski together. I would say we are advance skiers. We both like to push the skis. Not sure even what to get her.

 

 

Let me try to help translate:

 

Hi, I'm new here and would really appreciate some advice.  I spent a few hours with the search function and reading advice to skiers of similar size and skill level but I'm still lost.

 

I am looking for new skis for myself and for my 17 year old daughter.  We usually ski together.  I am 6'2", 210 lbs and she is 5'2" and 115 lbs.  Obviously we are not looking for the same skis.  We mostly ski in Minnesota but do one trip to Snowmass/Ajax.  I'd estimate 80% of our skiing is on firm groomers and ice, but we'll occasionally ski moguls or shallow powder.  I currently ski on K2 Apaches and she is on old Volkl race skis.  We typically ski fast and prefer skis that like to be pushed.

 

After reading reviews, I thought 180cm Brahma's would be the ski for me but shop rats keep suggesting I go wider.

 

Thanks in advance for your advice.

 

Is this close to what you wanted to post?


Edited by Utagonian - 11/2/15 at 7:29am
post #13 of 27

^^ Seriously, he wasn't that hard to understand? And if you're going to criticize someone else's grammar and spelling, don't screw up multiple times in your own post. 

post #14 of 27

Guilty!  However, since people thought he wanted to upgrade his daughter...

 

I prefer our welcoming nature to calling them Jongs and telling them to get the red ones but a friendly nudge to get them off on the right foot seems like a good idea.

post #15 of 27

A wider ski will not do you any good on groomers.  If you spend 80% of your time on free skiing on groomers, you would be best served by a narrow ski with camber and no rocker.  There aren't many left.  2nd Best is one with a little tip rocker, next one with a tiny bit of early rise. 

 

I would put you on

Stockli Laser SX

Kästle RX 12

Head Worldcup Rebels i. Speed

Fischer RC4 Worldcup RC

 

For your daughter I would say the any of the above above and/or  NEW race skis.

 

Get yourself the longest or 2nd longest ski whatever model you get comes in.

Get your daughter the shortest or 2nd shortest length it comes in.

 

Rent some wider rockered skis if/when you expect to ski deeper snow or powder.  Although your daughter's superior athletic ability means she can probably ski almost anything almost anywhere, she would likely enjoy fatter rockered skis in deeper snow too.

 

 

 

 

post #16 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
 

 

 

Let me try to help translate:

 

Hi, I'm new here and would really appreciate some advice.  I spent a few hours with the search function and reading advice to skiers of similar size and skill level but I'm still lost.

 

I am looking for new skis for myself and for my 17 year old daughter.  We usually ski together.  I am 6'2", 210 lbs and she is 5'2" and 115 lbs.  Obviously we are not looking for the same skis.  We mostly ski in Minnesota but do one trip to Snowmass/Ajax.  I'd estimate 80% of our skiing is on firm groomers and ice, but we'll occasionally ski moguls or shallow powder.  I currently ski on K2 Apaches and she is on old Volkl race skis.  We typically ski fast and prefer skis that like to be pushed.

 

After reading reviews, I thought 180cm Brahma's would be the ski for me but shop rats keep suggesting I go wider.

 

Thanks in advance for your advice.

 

Is this close to what you wanted to post?

 yes perfect so next time I'm PMing you

post #17 of 27

Would you describe yourselves as "shin on tongue, high edge angle carvers" or do you tend to ski with a more laid back, upright style?

post #18 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
 

Would you describe yourselves as "shin on tongue, high edge angle carvers" or do you tend to ski with a more laid back, upright style?

shin to tongue by far

post #19 of 27

There are a lot of race and race-like skis that you'd probably like.  For me, they are more rewarding than Brahmas.

 

Slalom skis are super fun but have a speed limit.  GS skis can be a handful in crowded resorts.  What about racy skis like Head's i.Supershape series?  Titan, Rally, Magnum, etc?  Most companies that make race skis make detuned versions and/or cheaters that would all be fun.

post #20 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
 

There are a lot of race and race-like skis that you'd probably like.  For me, they are more rewarding than Brahmas.

 

Slalom skis are super fun but have a speed limit.  GS skis can be a handful in crowded resorts.  What about racy skis like Head's i.Supershape series?  Titan, Rally, Magnum, etc?  Most companies that make race skis make detuned versions and/or cheaters that would all be fun.

not sure the only reason she did racing skis is that was what I got her 4 yrs ago

 

but they were used at that point (I only got them as I figured she was still growing and figured they would be done the next yr but she stopped growing lol)

 

 but wondering if there would be a ski that is more fun for her as she doesn't like that they are really heavy.

post #21 of 27

I'm about the same weight as your daughter, a couple inches shorter, and way older.  That means I appreciate it when skis are lighter in weight for the walk from the parking lot.  After demo'ing the last couple years, my new Mid-Atlantic ski is the Head Absolut Joy.  Have tried a few other models in the Joy line and liked them.  A bonus is that can get them with Head bindings that are relatively light demo bindings, meaning can easily adjust to different size boots.  Makes re-sale easier.

 

Here's some of the skis that a VA ski shop brought to a demo day last Jan to give you some ideas.  Personally I like any Rossi ski.  The Volkl Aurena was the first Volkl I liked a bit.  I'm an advanced skier, but wasn't nearly as good 6-7 years ago when I started buying skis.  I own Blizzard Black Pearls but would not buy them as a daily driver for the northeast.  Great fun in soft snow though.

 

Blizzard Cheyenne
Head Absolut Joy
Head Total Joy
K2 Potion 76
K2 Potion 74
Nordica Belle to Belle
Rossignol Temptation 80
Rossignol Temptation 84
Salomon Quartz
Volkl Aurena

post #22 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post

I'm about the same weight as your daughter, a couple inches shorter, and way older.  That means I appreciate it when skis are lighter in weight for the walk from the parking lot.  After demo'ing the last couple years, my new Mid-Atlantic ski is the Head Absolut Joy.  Have tried a few other models in the Joy line and liked them.  A bonus is that can get them with Head bindings that are relatively light demo bindings, meaning can easily adjust to different size boots.  Makes re-sale easier.

Here's some of the skis that a VA ski shop brought to a demo day last Jan to give you some ideas.  Personally I like any Rossi ski.  The Volkl Aurena was the first Volkl I liked a bit.  I'm an advanced skier, but wasn't nearly as good 6-7 years ago when I started buying skis.  I own Blizzard Black Pearls but would not buy them as a daily driver for the northeast.  Great fun in soft snow though.

Blizzard Cheyenne
Head Absolut Joy
Head Total Joy
K2 Potion 76
K2 Potion 74
Nordica Belle to Belle
Rossignol Temptation 80
Rossignol Temptation 84
Salomon Quartz
Volkl Aurena[/

Was looking at rossignol temptation 84 for her do they hold up at high speeds or do they chadder
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane F View Post

Was looking at rossignol temptation 84 for her do they hold up at high speeds or do they chadder

Can't really say from my demo experience.  Only took two runs on very short groomers at Massanutten that take about 3 min. I tend not to be interested in high speed at Mnut because that just means I have to load the lift for a 7 min ride that much sooner.  Plus hard to know what your daughter considers "high speed" in comparison to how I ski.  Racing was never of interest even when I was a teen.  But I don't exactly ski slow in the right conditions either.

 

If you want to learn more about skis for your daughter or Temptations, might be worthwhile to start a new thread with a more descriptive thread title.

post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane F View Post


Was looking at rossignol temptation 84 for her do they hold up at high speeds or do they chadder

 

Shane, I ski with women who like to go fast.  Some of them love the Rossi Temptation 84 and some of them do not like the ski at all. I don't find many people in the middle.  If you are going to spend the week at Snowmass, I would suggest making a short list of skis and letting her try some of them and decide what she likes. There are several rental shops in the Snowmass mall so if she did not like a particular ski, she can go change it out.

post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

I'm about the same weight as your daughter, a couple inches shorter, and way older.  That means I appreciate it when skis are lighter in weight for the walk from the parking lot.  After demo'ing the last couple years, my new Mid-Atlantic ski is the Head Absolut Joy.  Have tried a few other models in the Joy line and liked them.  A bonus is that can get them with Head bindings that are relatively light demo bindings, meaning can easily adjust to different size boots.  Makes re-sale easier.

 

Here's some of the skis that a VA ski shop brought to a demo day last Jan to give you some ideas.  Personally I like any Rossi ski.  The Volkl Aurena was the first Volkl I liked a bit.  I'm an advanced skier, but wasn't nearly as good 6-7 years ago when I started buying skis.  I own Blizzard Black Pearls but would not buy them as a daily driver for the northeast.  Great fun in soft snow though.

 

Blizzard Cheyenne
Head Absolut Joy
Head Total Joy
K2 Potion 76
K2 Potion 74
Nordica Belle to Belle
Rossignol Temptation 80
Rossignol Temptation 84
Salomon Quartz
Volkl Aurena

Forget the Head Absolut Joy, really aimed at low intermediates.  She would probably like the Total Joy, 85mm underfoot, some rocker, and pretty quick edge to edge.  At her weight, there's enough width to give her decent flotation.  The Absolute Joy doesn't have the edge grip of the Total Joy.  If she wants something narrower, the Head Super Joy is the ticket, 75mm waist but basically the same construction as the Total Joy.


Edited by mtcyclist - 11/3/15 at 9:03pm
post #26 of 27
I think something like the Brahama would be a good choice. There is a pair of Brahma 180 for sale on Craigslist in Mpls for $350.
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcyclist View Post
 
Forget the Head Absolut Joy, really aimed at low intermediates.  She would probably like the Total Joy, 85mm underfoot, some rocker, and pretty quick edge to edge.  At her weight, there's enough width to give her decent flotation.  The Absolute Joy doesn't have the edge grip of the Total Joy.  If she wants something narrower, the Head Super Joy is the ticket, 75mm waist but basically the same construction as the Total Joy.

Agree that the Super Joy or Total Joy are probably better, but I had fun on the Absolut (no e) Joy.  Perhaps because I'm petite and not a hard charger interested in going as fast as possible down relatively short Mid-Atlantic groomers.  (Went from Level 7 to Level 8 in the last few seasons.)  I'll take my Black Pearls for trips out west, and rent powder skis as needed.  Have found reviews that say the Absolut can handle more than intermediate skiing.  I'll find out this season.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Need ski help confused myself more after looking lol [ski Aspen/Snowmass, from MN]