or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What skis should I buy (after my epic Soul 7's?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What skis should I buy (after my epic Soul 7's?)

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
What skis should I buy?
1. Skiing in Colorado. Kids race for Eldora, so I am mostly on this small, very windy mountain (last year we had a 100mph day - lifts couldnt open, kids hiked to train). We race mostly in Summit County.
2. Terrain:
Obviously pow is my favorite thing.
I am working on race style carving at moderate to high speed.
I am working on trees.
I am working on moguls.
I am uncomfortable on double black trees/moguls.
3. I ski 40+ days per year.
4. I am advanced, not expert.
5. I am 6'1, 180#
 
I am currently on Rossignol Soul 7 188s. This has been my favorite ski ever. Last year through a combination of - terrible snow/many bare spots; and learning to tune skis, I used up my last base grind - DOH!
 
So, I could either try to eke 1 more season out of them, mostly for softer/deeper snow days where edges matter less and add a hard snow ski; or 1 could go for a new 1 ski quiver.
 
Things I love about my Soul 7's:
Powder.
Trees in powder.
Bumps in powder.
Mixed conditions - windy powder, transitioning from pow into anything else.
Crud.
 
Things I dont love about my Soul 7's:
Skiing with race coaches - at high speed they are sketchy.
Skiing fast on hard pack - they chatter.
Edge hold on hard pack.
Bulletproof moguls- they feel long - also b/c I am terrible in bumps.
Trees with bulletproof moguls - while great for mixed conditions, they feel long to me - probably b/c I am terrible in moguls
Making race style turns/phantom move turns. I think the waist is just a little too wide(106?) to make nice transitions back and forth.

 

I know I'm asking for 3 different skis, but that's why I am posting here - I can't figure it out.

 

So what do you suggest for:

A. New 1 ski quiver

B. 2nd ski to complement my almost dead Soul 7's?

 

Thanks for your help!

post #2 of 22


Keep the Souls for powder and get a stiffer, narrower ski. You like the Rossi feel so try the Experience 88. Or the new Pursuit series if you want to go even narrower and more race like.. You are in a great place to be able to demo different skis. Have fun trying them.

post #3 of 22

Rossi E88

I used to work at Eldora, and most of the time it skis like an Eastern hill.

Think Eastern front side ski.

post #4 of 22

If you liked the souls, but have nearly killed them, I suggest replacing them with something similar, and ponying up for something more front-side oriented too. The soul, or something similar will never make a great carver, and a great carver will never do what the soul will.

 

Ever heard the expression; "Jack of all trades; master of none"? I'm sorry, but you're also going to need a 80-85mm traditional camber twin for the bumps.

 

3 pair of skis will last you three times as long! (at least that's what I keep telling myself)

post #5 of 22

I skied the 188 Soul7 and the 178 E88 as a two ski quiver two seasons ago at JHMR.  You could get an E88 like suggested above, you could get another fresh pair of Soul7s.

 

I ski on Fischers now.  I like the 180 Motive95 as well as any one ski quiver I ever had.  I loved the 178 E88, I love the 180 Motive95 more.  I put tech bindings on my Soul7s and use them as a backcountry ski now.  I'm replacing them with the 188 Ranger 107 this season.  They seem similiat to the Soul7.  I think they will have a bit more beef though.  I agree with your take on the strengths and weaknesses of the Soul7.

post #6 of 22

How many days on the soul 7?? almost dead??? , You may consider MX88 and keep your 7's for powder days or BC., I use my 88's for an eastern DD and are great in all but bullet proof conditions. really its time to forget the one ski quiver!!!!

post #7 of 22

It looks like this just might be the correct answer:

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by boulderSki View Post
 
B. 2nd ski to complement my almost dead Soul 7's?

 

Let's suppose that bouldSki buys a pair of hard snow skis, like the Experience 88's that others have suggested.  Then his next two winters would look something like this...

 

Ski Season 2015-2016

* 15 days on the Soul 7's

     - skiing powder, trees, crud, mixed conditions

* 25 days on Experience 88's

     - race style carving at moderate to high speed

     - moguls

     - Trees with bulletproof moguls

 

Ski Season 2016-2017

* 15 days on the Soul 7's

- skiing powder, trees, crud, mixed conditions

* 25 days on Experience 88's

- race style carving at moderate to high speed

- moguls

- Trees with bulletproof moguls

 

 

By going with a narrower ski, like the Experience 88's, boulderSki might be able to stretch 2 more seasons out of his almost dead Soul 7's before replacing them for the 2017-2018 season.  And at the same time, he gets a new pair of skis that are more appropriate for his hard snow needs.  Later in time, the 2017-2018 season might look like this...

 

Ski Season 2017-2018

* 15 days on the Soul 7 replacement (like the Ranger 107)

- skiing powder, trees, crud, mixed conditions

* 25 days on Experience 88's

- race style carving at moderate to high speed

- moguls

- Trees with bulletproof moguls

 

boulderSki, if he can, should demo other skis in the waist range of 80-88mm beside just the Experience 88s before buying.  However, there are worst choices he can make then the Experience 88s.

post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post
 

I skied the 188 Soul7 and the 178 E88 as a two ski quiver two seasons ago at JHMR.  You could get an E88 like suggested above, you could get another fresh pair of Soul7s.

 

I ski on Fischers now.  I like the 180 Motive95 as well as any one ski quiver I ever had.  I loved the 178 E88, I love the 180 Motive95 more.  I put tech bindings on my Soul7s and use them as a backcountry ski now.  I'm replacing them with the 188 Ranger 107 this season.  They seem similiat to the Soul7.  I think they will have a bit more beef though.  I agree with your take on the strengths and weaknesses of the Soul7.


Plus one on TPJ's suggestion of the E88.

 

I think it's a perfect complement to the Soul 7.  While the Soul 7 might (might) get a little squirrelly with age, that should just make it better as a soft-snow ski.

 

The E88 is perfect for what you're seeking as a companion.

post #9 of 22
I am mainly a Vermont skier and also ski the Soul 7. This season am mating it with the Atomic Vantage 90 CTI. I demoed both the Experience 88 & the Vantage 90 late last season and chose the Atomic as being a superior all round daily driver choice for my Sugarbush skiing which is mainly bumps, trees and hard pack.. I have no connection with Atomic, but I do not know why their retooled Vantage series does not get more love on Epic.
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostan View Post

I am mainly a Vermont skier and also ski the Soul 7. This season am mating it with the Atomic Vantage 90 CTI. I demoed both the Experience 88 & the Vantage 90 late last season and chose the Atomic as being a superior all round daily driver choice for my Sugarbush skiing which is mainly bumps, trees and hard pack.. I have no connection with Atomic, but I do not know why their retooled Vantage series does not get more love on Epic.

A nice ski choice. E-88, Vantage 90, Powertrack 89, Nrgy 80 or 90, are all Soul 7 plus 1 quiver possibilities.
post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 

Thanks for all the great replies!

 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Enforcer - how would that be as a 1 ski quiver in a 177?

post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderSki View Post
 
What skis should I buy?
1. Skiing in Colorado. Kids race for Eldora, so I am mostly on this small, very windy mountain (last year we had a 100mph day - lifts couldnt open, kids hiked to train). We race mostly in Summit County.
2. Terrain:
Obviously pow is my favorite thing.
I am working on race style carving at moderate to high speed.
I am working on trees.
I am working on moguls.
I am uncomfortable on double black trees/moguls.
3. I ski 40+ days per year.
4. I am advanced, not expert.
5. I am 6'1, 180#
 
I am currently on Rossignol Soul 7 188s. This has been my favorite ski ever. Last year through a combination of - terrible snow/many bare spots; and learning to tune skis, I used up my last base grind - DOH!
 
So, I could either try to eke 1 more season out of them, mostly for softer/deeper snow days where edges matter less and add a hard snow ski; or 1 could go for a new 1 ski quiver.
 
Things I love about my Soul 7's:
Powder.
Trees in powder.
Bumps in powder.
Mixed conditions - windy powder, transitioning from pow into anything else.
Crud.
 
Things I dont love about my Soul 7's:
Skiing with race coaches - at high speed they are sketchy.
Skiing fast on hard pack - they chatter.
Edge hold on hard pack.
Bulletproof moguls- they feel long - also b/c I am terrible in bumps.
Trees with bulletproof moguls - while great for mixed conditions, they feel long to me - probably b/c I am terrible in moguls
Making race style turns/phantom move turns. I think the waist is just a little too wide(106?) to make nice transitions back and forth.

 

I know I'm asking for 3 different skis, but that's why I am posting here - I can't figure it out.

 

So what do you suggest for:

A. New 1 ski quiver

B. 2nd ski to complement my almost dead Soul 7's?

 

Thanks for your help!

 

Hi, I am the same size as you and last season used the Soul 7's in 180. I found them dead easy to ski at moderate to slow speeds on hard bumps and even overskied trees. Super easy ski to maneuver and since it is flexy it absorbs terrain easily. They can go over anything, not bust through it though. They held in the steep and slick stuff MUCH better than I though they would, again, in slower speeds just let them work.

 

Definitely not the ski for high speed carving. But they are great for most conditions one would encounter in advanced/expert terrain at the resorts. They were also good in untouched powder but in those conditions I preferred the Armada TSTs or JJs. 

 

That said I agree, keep the Souls and just get other skis for hard snow higher speed carving.

 

I did not like the Experience 88's. Found the front of the ski too prone to catch edge and just did not love the overall feel of the ski. I would check out the Blizzard Brahma's or a similar type of ski.

post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderSki View Post
 

Thanks for all the great replies!

 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Enforcer - how would that be as a 1 ski quiver in a 177?

 

No to the "1 ski quiver".  Bad idea.  

 

In your first post above, I read...

 

>> Obviously pow is my favorite thing

>> I am working on moguls

>> Skiing fast on hard pack 

>> I am working on race style carving at moderate to high speed

>> I ski 40+ days per year

 

You are trying to do a very wide range of things at this point in your skiing career, you are trying to do them all at a very high level, and at 40+ days per season you ski more than the average skier.  Given that, you need to start having a multi-ski quiver.

 

The problem you're having with the Soul 7 is that it is optimized for the powder and off-piste skiing you're doing.  The Soul 7 simply won't do the high performance groomed snow skiing you're doing.

 

If you get the Enforcer as a one ski quiver - bad idea - then you will give up some of the high performance powder skiing you're enjoying with the Soul 7.  The Enforcer will improve the groom snow skiing you're doing over the Soul 7, but it still won't give you the high performance that you need.  You'll still need a narrower ski than the Enforcer for the groomed snow skiing you're doing now.

 

Given all that, you need an 80-88mm waist ski like those suggested by others in this thread.  A demo before buying is always a good idea, if you can do it.

 

I don't know all the people in this thread that have responded to your first post, but I've known of tetonpwdrjunkie & Bob Peters for some time, and I've seen markojp ski before in a ski instructor's clinic (markojp is a really good skier; I'm a part time ski instructor myself).  They all work full time in the ski industry (at least in the winter).  For all the considerable skill they have as skiers, you won't see any of them trying to do the range of things you're doing on just one pair of skis.  If they need a multiple ski quiver for the range of things you're doing, then so do you.


Edited by Dave86 - 11/1/15 at 11:06am
post #14 of 22

B--Head i.Supershape Rally.  Keep the Souls for the fluffy days.  Get something that wants to be put on edge on the pack.

 

Skiing with race coaches - at high speed they are sketchy.  Not the Rallys
Skiing fast on hard pack - they chatter.  No chatter
Edge hold on hard pack.  Yes!
Bulletproof moguls- they feel long - also b/c I am terrible in bumps.  They'll work easy when skied correctly
Trees with bulletproof moguls - while great for mixed conditions, they feel long to me - probably b/c I am terrible in moguls.  It's on you
Making race style turns/phantom move turns. I think the waist is just a little too wide(106?) to make nice transitions back and forth.  Great for race movements

 

Seriously, though, do demo if at all possible.  I'm in love with the Rally's, rented some for a week in Austria and bought a pair when I got home.  You, you might love something else.  Do go narrower than the 80+.  I was talking with a ski shop buyer recently, and he said that the trend is returning to more narrow skis where the snow is suitable.  The narrower widths always skied better on pack, but that wasn't where the marketing fad was going.  If you had narrow skis, you needed new wide skis.  We all now have wide skis, so they have narrow skis to sell us.

post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftSnowGuy View Post
 

B--Head i.Supershape Rally.  Keep the Souls for the fluffy days.  Get something that wants to be put on edge on the pack.

 

 

I suspect the original poster is long gone.  Otherwise, the Rally (131mm tip; 76mm waist; 109mm tail) is a really nice idea.  I ski a Blizzard Magnum 8.1 TI (81mm waist) on days when I'm skiing groomers (ski instructor related events), or when the snow off-piste is really old.

 

Since Blizzard doesn't make the Magnums anymore, the OP could also consider the XPower 8s skis.

post #16 of 22
Thread Starter 

OP still here. I am all in on your advice: I am going to Loveland demo day tomorrow to test potential 2nd ski's to complement the Soul 7's. 

 

To recap, I am looking for a 2nd ski to supplement my Soul 7's for carving, skiing fast, and bumps and trees when not in powder. My Soul 7 is 188 are perfect for soft stuff, but feel a little long in hardpack trees and bumps to me. 

 

After listening and researching here, Realskiers, and On the Snow I would like to demo 5 skis. Please help me decide which 5, especially on length.  I was thinking of demoing the 2nd longest in each ski which is the length below. 

 

Head i.Supershape Titan (or Rally) in 170

Atomic Vantage 85 (or 90) in 173(short?)

Blizzard Latigo (or Brahma?) in 177

pick 1: Kastle FX85 173; CPM 82($$$$ ouch!) in 172; FX85HP or MX83 in 173

pick 1: Volkl RTM 81; RTM 84 UVO; Kendo - all in 177

 

Demo conditions will be less than ideal with a high of 60, any advice as to how to enjoy my first demo day also welcome.

 

Thanks for all your help!

post #17 of 22
Try an Nrgy 80 as well if you have a chance.
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderSki View Post
 

OP still here. I am all in on your advice: I am going to Loveland demo day tomorrow to test potential 2nd ski's to complement the Soul 7's. 

 

To recap, I am looking for a 2nd ski to supplement my Soul 7's for carving, skiing fast, and bumps and trees when not in powder. My Soul 7 is 188 are perfect for soft stuff, but feel a little long in hardpack trees and bumps to me. 

 

After listening and researching here, Realskiers, and On the Snow I would like to demo 5 skis. Please help me decide which 5, especially on length.  I was thinking of demoing the 2nd longest in each ski which is the length below. 

 

Head i.Supershape Titan (or Rally) in 170

Atomic Vantage 85 (or 90) in 173(short?)

Blizzard Latigo (or Brahma?) in 177

pick 1: Kastle FX85 173; CPM 82($$$$ ouch!) in 172; FX85HP or MX83 in 173

pick 1: Volkl RTM 81; RTM 84 UVO; Kendo - all in 177

 

Demo conditions will be less than ideal with a high of 60, any advice as to how to enjoy my first demo day also welcome.

 

Thanks for all your help!

 

We're going to be competing for skis at demo day, although I may be on the longer version of some skis. 

 

I don't think it's going to be 60 up there, more like 40: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.68&lon=-105.88#.VkYFk66rSYU

post #19 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeb View Post
 

 

We're going to be competing for skis at demo day, although I may be on the longer version of some skis. 

 

I don't think it's going to be 60 up there, more like 40: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.68&lon=-105.88#.VkYFk66rSYU

 

Height, wt, type? Whats in your quiver? 

 

 

Which Kastle and Volkl are you looking at?

post #20 of 22

6'2" / 180. But i tend to ski on things a bit shorter than that suggests because I rarely find "stability" to be an issue, and prefer nimbleness. 

 

Quiver is: park ski (putzing around/rocks), K2 AMP Aftershock 181, Nordica El Capo 178, BD Megawatt 188. 

 

Mostly interested in finding a low-snow/fun groomer ski to pick up at the end of the year closeouts. 

 

Probably try and get on a Kastle MX78 -- don't know what the CPM is?--and maybe the Volkl RTM. 

post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Skull View Post

If you liked the souls, but have nearly killed them, I suggest replacing them with something similar, and ponying up for something more front-side oriented too. The soul, or something similar will never make a great carver, and a great carver will never do what the soul will.

Ever heard the expression; "Jack of all trades; master of none"? I'm sorry, but you're also going to need a 80-85mm traditional camber twin for the bumps.

3 pair of skis will last you three times as long! (at least that's what I keep telling myself)

But doesn't he need a jack of all trades for all that stuff?

Just tell him. It starts with R and ends with 0. biggrin.gif
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderSki View Post
 

Head i.Supershape Titan (or Rally) in 170

Atomic Vantage 85 (or 90) in 173(short?)

Blizzard Latigo (or Brahma?) in 177

pick 1: Kastle FX85 173; CPM 82($$$$ ouch!) in 172; FX85HP or MX83 in 173

pick 1: Volkl RTM 81; RTM 84 UVO; Kendo - all in 177

 

Nice choice of skis to demo, simply well done!

 

What I like to do when I demo, and it may sound kind of boring, but it really helps me to learn the skis, is to do 3 things...

 

1) Limit myself to just 2 or 3 runs with each pair of skis.  Should take about an hour when you include the amount of time it takes to get a pair of skis set up for you to try.

 

2) Each of 2 or 3 runs covers a different kind of ski conditions.

 

3) Ski the same runs with each pair of skis.  I.E. each pair of skis will experience one trip on the "Shooting Star" run, the "Exterminator" run, and the "Multipor" run, or whatever runs are called at your resort.

 

Biggest caution for you: don't spend too much time with the first pair of skis.  Common newbie demo'er mistake.

 

In your case, you could ski 3 different runs with each pair of skis that you test.  For example, you could...

 

1 - Ski a groomer fairly fast.  Here you are testing to see how stable the skis feel  Does the ride feel smooth and the skis invite you to ski faster, or do things start to get bumpy and you're concerned you're going to crash?  Some skis are more stable (go faster) than others, and you're checking for that.

 

Of course you don't want to ski so fast that you risk crashing.  Many skis that I demo can go fast than I feel comfortable going.  That's fine - I don't worry about finding out how fast they can go.  Other skis I feel like I "overwhelm", or they don't feel "safe" at higher speeds, so those skis are wrong for me.

 

2 - Ski a series of short, medium, and long radius turns, on flat to steep groomed slopes.  Does a particular pair of skis work best at just one turn size and shape?  Or is there another pair of skis that are easy to work into a variety of turn sizes?  Which skis work best for the skiing you're trying to do on groomed slopes?  Note the edge grip, too, and the snow conditions for the kind of edge grip you're getting.

 

3 - Ski a bump (mogul) run!  Here you're checking to see which skis make it easiest for you to ski bumps.  Can you make turns when you want to?  Can you keep your balance the entire time in the bumps?  Keep your speed under control?  Some skis are better in the bumps than others, so give each pair you demo some time in the bumps.

 

You may find that you spend half a run checking skis in bumps, and the other half of that run skiing fairly fast on a groomed run.  Then you may want to spend 2 runs making all kinds of turn sizes on groomed runs.  That's okay, because you're testing the skis out in a bunch of different conditions with the terrain available to you.

 

Have fun!


Edited by Dave86 - 11/14/15 at 12:03am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What skis should I buy (after my epic Soul 7's?)