or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › 2016 New England Gathering -- let the voting begin
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2016 New England Gathering -- let the voting begin  

Poll Results: Where and when would you like to go?

This is a multiple choice poll
  • 41% of voters (10)
    March 18th to the 21st
  • 50% of voters (12)
    March 25th to the 28th
  • 16% of voters (4)
    April 1st to the 4th
  • 58% of voters (14)
    Smuggler's Notch
  • 50% of voters (12)
    Mad River Valley (MRG, Sugarbush)
  • 4% of voters (1)
    Jay Peak
  • 8% of voters (2)
    Other
24 Total Votes  
post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

Start the polling.  Select a date, select a location... I didn't add "Stowe" as an option, as I assumed we'll be going there.  :D

 

Things to keep in mind:

  • All of my proposed dates are Friday through Monday.
  • March 18th through the 20th is Stowe ski club appreciation days (one of the few times that real discounts are available there).
  • @crank has volunteered to be a Jay guide
  • @cometjo has volunteered to be a Sugarbush guide.
  • @Snowbowler did a great job guiding at MRG last year if we want time at both SB and MRG.
  • @Slow Eddie has volunteered to be a Smuggler's Notch guide.
  • We have a wealth of possible guides for Stowe.  Lord Voldemort has usually been willing to show us around if he isn't working or I can do it as well.
  • Select "other" if you don't like my dates or proposed locations, etc.
post #2 of 28

Even though I can and am willing to guide Jay Peak I voted for MRV and Smuggs.  Love Jay but find it so hit and miss.  Plus, the selfish side of me wants Slow Eddie to guide me around Smuggs - a great area I have only skied 3 days.

post #3 of 28

Same for me - Smuggs and MRV.  I picked a date, but it is only a mild preference.

post #4 of 28

As far as dates go, I can't make the Monday in any case, but can't make the Friday on the 18th. I voted for Jay and MRV, partly because I want Crank to show us around Jay. Nothing against skiing Smuggs, but from where I am likely to be staying it'll be a long drive.

post #5 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
 

... I voted for MRV and Smuggs ...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
 

Same for me - Smuggs and MRV.  I picked a date, but it is only a mild preference.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometjo View Post
 

I voted for Jay and MRV...

 

As all of you voted for two areas, are you essentially voting against going to Stowe this year?

post #6 of 28

Kevin. I voted 2 areas because I figured Stowe was a given and the voting was for where else to go.

post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
 

Even though I can and am willing to guide Jay Peak I voted for MRV and Smuggs.  Love Jay but find it so hit and miss.  Plus, the selfish side of me wants Slow Eddie to guide me around Smuggs - a great area I have only skied 3 days.

I like the fact that all they have for chairlifts is fixed-grip doubles - more time for my tired old bones to rest, and fewer people on the hill at any given time.  And I have to get more familiar with skiing off the back of sterling down to 108 before I feel comfortable leading folks back there.


Edited by Slow Eddie - 10/29/15 at 1:51pm
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
 

... I voted for MRV and Smuggs ...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
 

Same for me - Smuggs and MRV.  I picked a date, but it is only a mild preference.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometjo View Post
 

I voted for Jay and MRV...

 

As all of you voted for two areas, are you essentially voting against going to Stowe this year?

 

Nah, I didn't think it through that carefully -- and you shouldn't assume we will actually read the instructions.

 

If we could do Stowe & Smuggs with someone to guide us across the notch, and figure the logistics to get home (pre-positioned car?), that would be, as they say, Epic.

 

Other than that, my vote was really "any of the above."  I'm not eager to drive all the way up to Jay.

post #9 of 28

I'd go either date — though the later date includes Good Friday, which I have off (since I work for the Pope), which means the likelihood of skiing two days of the gathering instead of one — but, whatever.

 

So, if the poll numbers continue the trend, it will be Stowe & Smuggs?  Or Stowe, Smuggs, and . . . ?

post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
 

...If we could do Stowe & Smuggs with someone to guide us across the notch, and figure the logistics to get home (pre-positioned car?), that would be, as they say, Epic....

 

I have heard AIG isn't as accomodating to this sort of thing as they have been in years' past.

 

You could start the day at Stowe, come across to Smuggs, ski down, buy a single-ride ticket, head back up the Sterling chair, and bushwhack back to the top of Spruce, but I don't know that the reverse situation is do-able.

post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Eddie View Post
 

I like the fact that all they have for chairlifts is fixed-grip doubles - more time for my tired old bones to rest, and fewer people on the hill at any given time.  And I have to get more familiar with skiing off the back of sterling down to 108 before I feel comfortable leading folks back there.


I'll confess my main interest in Smuggs would be that terrain. I've had a couple of nice days there, but not so worth the drive. I could see a day that involved Gondola>Hellbrook>skin over the high point of the notch>Sterling>Smuggs Back Bowls>skin back to Stowe. Easy with skins, but not so fun without.

 

As for not skiing Stowe, I also thought that was a given...As far as skiing goes, I'm happy to ski any of them, happy to have crank show us around Jay & happy to show folks around Sugarbush. Happy to ski Smuggs, but not necessarily so happy to drive there. The drive to Jay is also long, but the prospect of a guide there might make it worth it. Especially if that would include the ridge.

post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Eddie View Post
 

 

I have heard AIG isn't as accomodating to this sort of thing as they have been in years' past.

 

You could start the day at Stowe, come across to Smuggs, ski down, buy a single-ride ticket, head back up the Sterling chair, and bushwhack back to the top of Spruce, but I don't know that the reverse situation is do-able.


The skiing back and forth is not a problem at all and skins aren't needed either. It's the lift tickets that are the issue.

post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Eddie View Post
 

 

I have heard AIG isn't as accomodating to this sort of thing as they have been in years' past.

 

You could start the day at Stowe, come across to Smuggs, ski down, buy a single-ride ticket, head back up the Sterling chair, and bushwhack back to the top of Spruce, but I don't know that the reverse situation is do-able.


The skiing back and forth is not a problem at all and skins aren't needed either. It's the lift tickets that are the issue.

Well,

 

http://www.smuggs.com/pages/winter/skiride/lift-ticket-rates.php

blank.gif

2015 - 2016 Lift Ticket Rates

blank.gif
1/2 Day
(am or pm)
blank.gif
1 Day
blank.gif
Each Additional Day
Regular Season - Dec. 5, 2015 - Mar. 27, 2016    
Adult (19-64)
Youth (6-18) & Senior (65 & older)
Youth (5 & under)
$56
$44
FREE
$72
$54
FREE
$56
$44
FREE
   
Early / Late Season - Opening through Dec. 4, 2015 and Mar. 28, 2016 until Closing    
Adult (19-64)
Youth (6-18) & Senior (65 & older)
Youth (5 & under)
$40
$30
FREE
$52
$40
FREE
$40
$30
FREE
   
Holiday Season - Dec. 26, 2015 - Jan. 3, 2016, Jan. 16-18, 2016 & Feb. 13-21, 2016
 
   
Adult (19-64)
Youth (6-18) & Senior (65 & older)
Youth (5 & under)
$60
$48
FREE
$76
$60
FREE
$60
$48
FREE
   
Other Tickets
Morse Mtn. Only - Adult (19-64)
Morse Mtn. Only - Youth (6-18)
Morse Mtn. Only - Senior (65 & older)
Sterling Mtn. T-Bar (All ages)
Single Ride Ticket
  $54
$44
$44
$14
$14
   
post #14 of 28

Although on second thought, the whole point is to actually ski Smuggs, so that does not really help.  It's a single ride Stowe ticket that is really needed.....

post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post

Although on second thought, the whole point is to actually ski Smuggs, so that does not really help.  It's a single ride Stowe ticket that is really needed.....

Your post assumes lodging on the Stowe side. Just saying.
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespapa View Post
 

I'd go either date — though the later date includes Good Friday, which I have off (since I work for the Pope), which means the likelihood of skiing two days of the gathering instead of one — but, whatever.

 

I realized one can choose more than one options. So I voted 2 sets of dates. I'm probably going up 3/18-21 regardless, to take advantage of the club appreciation days. That doesn't stop me from going up again 4/1-4 if that's when the Gathering happens!

 

Though in reality, I will only be up there for the weekend days (Good Friday not withstanding, I'm changing job so don't know whether I get Good Friday off or not)

post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post

Although on second thought, the whole point is to actually ski Smuggs, so that does not really help.  It's a single ride Stowe ticket that is really needed.....

Your post assumes lodging on the Stowe side. Just saying.

Is this like the puzzle with the wolf, the canoe , and the cabbages?

post #18 of 28

Wouldn't the club appreciation special pricing also tend to make those days more crowded?

post #19 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJskier164 View Post
 

Wouldn't the club appreciation special pricing also tend to make those days more crowded?

 

I haven't really noticed it being more crowded on club-days then on other days.  Stowe is ski-able on Saturday's; I usually head over to the Spruce side for a couple laps, take an early lunch, etc.  It's late enough in the season that Mansfield will be in the sun post-lunch as well.

post #20 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
 

Is this like the puzzle with the wolf, the canoe , and the cabbages?

 

No, that's actually a solvable problem.  Plus, you need a sheep to make it more difficult.  :duck:

post #21 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post


Your post assumes lodging on the Stowe side. Just saying.

 

Not sure what you're saying here?  Stowe and lodging is the easiest problem to solve in the Stowe + Smuggs puzzle.  i.e., there's no shortage of lodging in Stowe.

post #22 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometjo View Post
 

I'll confess my main interest in Smuggs would be that terrain. I've had a couple of nice days there, but not so worth the drive. I could see a day that involved Gondola>Hellbrook>skin over the high point of the notch>Sterling>Smuggs Back Bowls>skin back to Stowe. Easy with skins, but not so fun without.

 

I don't know the Smuggs side geography at all.  Is Sterling the continuation of Spruce Peak on the other side of the notch? 

 

If we're interested in skiing woods down to the road, it's doable from the Stowe side as well.  Spruce-side woods to the notch road is the Birthday Bowls (at least that's what I've always heard them called).  Getting to those requires a local guide (i.e, epic, Voldemort, etc.).  I've been in, and there's no way I'd find those lines again.  Mansfield-side woods to the notch road is the Angel Food area, although there are countless glades out past Angel Food (and before it for that matter).

post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
 

 

I don't know the Smuggs side geography at all.  Is Sterling the continuation of Spruce Peak on the other side of the notch? 

Basically, yes.  If you check out Stowe or Smuggs from the Google Maps satellite view, you'll see that The Long Trail basically connects the top of the Sterling chair at Smuggs to the top of the Sensation chair at Spruce; half a mile, perhaps.

post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
 

Is this like the puzzle with the wolf, the canoe , and the cabbages?

 

No, that's actually a solvable problem.  Plus, you need a sheep to make it more difficult.  :duck:

 

I like the xkcd solution:

 

post #25 of 28

I'd like to really try to make it this year. I voted for 3/25-28, but probably could do the 18th or early April as well. I voted for MRV and Smuggs, with Stowe as a given. It'd be nice to ski over to Smuggs from Stowe if someone with pull could arrange a special free/cheap once only lift ride up Spruce :)

post #26 of 28

I'm going to figure it out this year.  Last year I was felled by the flu.

post #27 of 28
Thread Starter 

Bumping this in case anybody missed it.  Looks like the last weekend of March is winning the time-frame poll, and a dead heat between visiting either Sugarbush or Smuggs.

 

I will ask the mods to close this poll in one week (December 9th), so vote now of forever hold your peace.

post #28 of 28
Thread Starter 

Poll is closed this thread will be locked as soon as I can get a moderator to lock it.  Please continue discussion here:

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/144149/2016-new-england-gathering-march-25th-to-the-28th

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › 2016 New England Gathering -- let the voting begin