or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Universal Sports - RIP 11/16/2015 -- How will we watch FIS races?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Universal Sports - RIP 11/16/2015 -- How will we watch FIS races? - Page 2

post #31 of 46
Sportsnet just tweeted that they are showing 25 FIS races on Saturday and Sunday nights throughout the winter.

https://twitter.com/brianstemmle/status/659421810195345409
Edited by Scott43 - 10/28/15 at 7:15pm
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRO92009 View Post
 

Great point.  They could have built an audience by offering the channel for free to cable companies while they built a base.  They didn't, and they never built enough of an audience to draw advertiser revenues.  

 

I hope someone will step in to offer FIS racing this year - even if only online.

 

They did offer the channel for free for years,  over the air! in select markets, which also forced cable companies to carry them in those same markets.   They did build an audience and then ...Comcast bought NBC and progressively reduced availability of Universal Sports.
 

post #33 of 46
Thread Starter 

I did attempt to contact FIS via email and their Facebook page to ask if they were pursuing alternate arrangements..  

 

As you could imagine, I have not received a response.

post #34 of 46
Thread Starter 


I really enjoyed when they had Chad Fleischer covering the events.  He added a lot of passion to the events..

post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRO92009 View Post
 

I did attempt to contact FIS via email and their Facebook page to ask if they were pursuing alternate arrangements..  

 

As you could imagine, I have not received a response.


Likewise, I sent an email to NBC Sports to ask if they would be picking up USN's coverage.  No reply yet :).

post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
 

 

Steve Porino is the man!   
 

I usually see him at Bachelor at the end of the season when he is done working.  Nice guy.

Ah, no criticism intended of Lewis or Porino personally.  I just noticed that, in the one instance I recall where they did have a technical specialist subbing in during the technical events, the analysis seemed more sophisticated ... less talk about "getting aggressive" and "letting the skis go", etc., and more about the specific technical strengths and flaws that separated the skiers.   It's the same as if you were choosing someone to do a running commentary on a new hand surgery technique: while I suppose any orthopedist could do a competent job, it would be better to have a hand surgeon. 


You must be a ski instructor or something.  Sometimes people just want to be entertained and not get so technical.   My Bla bla is like that.  Some like it and some don't.  

 

Here is a link to some of that.   There is more, but I'll leave it at this.  Don't need to see the video, just read the comments.   http://www.newschoolers.com/forum/thread/682583/Next-best-X-games-commentator-?page=1

post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
 


You must be a ski instructor or something.  Sometimes people just want to be entertained and not get so technical.   My Bla bla is like that.  Some like it and some don't.  

 

Here is a link to some of that.   There is more, but I'll leave it at this.  Don't need to see the video, just read the comments.   http://www.newschoolers.com/forum/thread/682583/Next-best-X-games-commentator-?page=1

Guilty as charged -- ex-instructor, ex-racer.  

 

But still:  Your argument might make sense to me if they were in fact choosing to be entertainers (say, the skiing equivalent of the soccer commentator who says "Gooooooooooooooooal!").  But they're not being entertainers -- rather, they are spending most of their time talking about technique and tactics.   And given that they have in fact chosen the technical approach (which I personally think is the right one for the sort of more enthusiast-oriented audience that would tend to watch ski racing on USN), we would naturally want the technical content to be of the highest quality, no?

 

Alas, I find that's often not the case -- I think a lot of what they say is superficial or off-the-mark.

 

Just to give two examples:  During the coverage of the Women's GS at Solden, they talked about the need to separate good skiing from great skiing. Yet they failed to do that themselves.  They pronounced Rebensburg's superb second run as merely "decent", failing to recognize how good it was.  Indeed, it was the fastest second run in the field.  More broadly, at the end of the race, after all the times are in, they still typically fail to identify, much less replay, the fastest second run.  

 

And here's another example, from the Solden Men's GS:  They concluded that Missilier had a somewhat disappointing second run (for him) because he ended up behind the previous skier, Leitinger.  But in fact, Missilier had a pretty decent second run relative to his ranking -- he's ranked 27th in GS, yet his second run was 19th.  So no, the reason Missilier ended up in behind Leitinger was because Letinger had a very fast second run -- in fact, the fastest of the field!  A technical specialist would have been unlikely to make that mistake, because he or she would have recognized how good Letinger's second run was.


Edited by chemist - 10/29/15 at 9:17am
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott43 View Post

Sportsnet just tweeted that they are showing 25 FIS races on Saturday and Sunday nights throughout the winter.

https://twitter.com/brianstemmle/status/659421810195345409

 

 

And Sportsnet also replays them throughout the week in filler blocks. CBC does not so if you miss the weekend coverage, you are out of luck (which may be less of an issue if they do VOD replay online).

post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by orionxprss View Post
 

 

I have to agree with ZeroGravity. Kerrin Lee-Gardner drives me nuts! (short trip some days) She will spot a flaw or mistake on an early run and the next thing you know every racer has the same issue! I get tired of hearing the same thing over and over and over and over. She needs to work on her Movement Analysis. Since the CBC shows are tape-delayed she could spend some time actually reviewing the runs and give a more accurate broadcast.

 

Karl

 

I find her preachy and not up to date, and yes she repeats the same comment over and over and over. Her time is well past due, time for a new analyst.

post #40 of 46
As far as commentators go, I think most of the ones I've heard tend to repeat themselves with their favorite little quips. Usually it gets so annoying I just turn the volume down. I am always left feeling it could be done better, except for those British dudes who used to do Eurosport commentary back when OLN had coverage. Luv those guys! Todd Brooker is okay too.
I used to get a chuckle out of Bob Beattie. He'd get all excited & say something like "looks like a huge mistake for the Hermanator, that'll cost him!" Then the next thing out of his mouth would be "OMG, he's in the lead!"
post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
 


You must be a ski instructor or something.  Sometimes people just want to be entertained and not get so technical.   My Bla bla is like that.  Some like it and some don't.  

 

Here is a link to some of that.   There is more, but I'll leave it at this.  Don't need to see the video, just read the comments.   http://www.newschoolers.com/forum/thread/682583/Next-best-X-games-commentator-?page=1

Guilty as charged -- ex-instructor, ex-racer.  

 

But still:  Your argument might sense to me if they were in fact choosing to be entertainers (say, the skiing equivalent of the soccer commentator who says "Gooooooooooooooooal!").  But they're not being entertainers -- rather, they are spending most of their time talking about technique and tactics.   And given that they have in fact chosen the technical approach (which I personally think is the right one for the sort of more enthusiast-oriented audience that would tend to watch ski racing on USN), we would naturally want the technical content to be of the highest quality, no?

 

Alas, I find that's often not the case -- I think a lot of what they say is superficial or off-the-mark.

 

Just to give two examples:  During the coverage of the Women's GS at Solden, they talked about the need to separate good skiing from great skiing. Yet they failed to do that themselves.  They pronounced Rebensburg's amazing second run as merely "decent", failing to recognize how extraordinary it was.  Indeed, it was the fastest second run in the field.  More broadly, at the end of the race, after all the times are in, they still typically fail to identify, much less replay, the fastest second run.  

 

And here's another example, from the Solden Men's GS:  They concluded that Missilier had a somewhat disappointing second run (for him) because he ended up behind the previous skier, Leitinger.  But in fact, Missilier had a pretty decent second run relative to his ranking -- he's ranked 27th in GS, yet his second run was 19th.  So no, the reason Missilier ended up in behind Leitinger was because Letinger had a very fast second run -- in fact, the fastest of the field!  A technical specialist would have been unlikely to make that mistake, because he or she would have recognized how good Letinger's second run was.


No argument from me.  I just like to stir the pot as I am bored sometimes. 

post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
 

 

I find her preachy and not up to date, and yes she repeats the same comment over and over and over. Her time is well past due, time for a new analyst.

she drives me crazy with her "oh, that racers tech is going to pay for that mistake" 

it's always the techs fault it seems like

post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxman View Post
 

she drives me crazy with her "oh, that racers tech is going to pay for that mistake" 

it's always the techs fault it seems like

 

 

I think her moment of glory is long past and she brings nothing new to the table. She has the I-was-great-once-a-long-time-ago condescending air and tone.

post #44 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
 

 

 

I think her moment of glory is long past and she brings nothing new to the table. She has the I-was-great-once-a-long-time-ago condescending air and tone.

well she did win one race. one day in france

post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxman View Post
 

well she did win one race. one day in france

 

 

I am not trying to take away that in her day, she was a great skier for Canada, over 20 years ago. She had a good ski career, but good athletes don't necessarily make good TV analysts. As I said, I don't find her particularly articulate, insightful, current or even slightly engaging as a broadcaster. I think there are other Canadian skiers who would be or are all of those things, such as Kelly Vanderbeek who was all of those things during CBCs Olympic coverage.


Edited by ZeroGravity - 10/30/15 at 10:46am
post #46 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
 

 

 

I am not trying to take away that in her day, she was a great skier for Canada, over 20 years ago. She had a good ski career, but good athletes don't necessarily make good TV analysts. As I said, I don't find her particularly articulate, insightful, current or even slightly engaging as a broadcaster. I think there are other Canadian skiers who would be or are all of those things, such as Kelly Vanderbeek who was all of those things during CBCs Olympic coverage.

i agree

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Universal Sports - RIP 11/16/2015 -- How will we watch FIS races?